5'3" & around 121 pounds..anyone else trying to gain lean muscle?

Options
I'm looking to gain lean muscle, mainly in my glutes without gaining much or any at all in my waist. Do any of you ladies have similar goals with similar stats? What has been working for you?

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I don't know what you mean by "lean" muscle but I'm 5'4" and just wrapped up a bulk. I gained in my waist....You're in a surplus. Unfortunately we can't magically not gain fat or choose where it goes. Anyway, I hit a 250 calorie surplus for about 5 months. I gained anywhere from 10-14 lbs, though a lot of it was water. I gained about 3 inches in my hips, inch in the thighs, and an inch and a half in the waist. Only about a half inch on the arms. I ran the program PHUL with extra glute work. Worked for me.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I don't know what you mean by "lean" muscle but I'm 5'4" and just wrapped up a bulk. I gained in my waist....You're in a surplus. Unfortunately we can't magically not gain fat or choose where it goes. Anyway, I hit a 250 calorie surplus for about 5 months. I gained anywhere from 10-14 lbs, though a lot of it was water. I gained about 3 inches in my hips, inch in the thighs, and an inch and a half in the waist. Only about a half inch on the arms. I ran the program PHUL with extra glute work. Worked for me.
    Awesome weight gain! But yeah if you mean a "lean bulk" that's just when you eat a calorie surplus of around 250 a day in order to minimize at gains. Unfortunately they are completely inevitable. Bulk and cuts are struggle and prize that anyone gain muscle gets to deal with. Id also work on the rest of your body as well, you wouldn't want to create imbalances

• Nikkimaxim
    Nikkimaxim Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    Awesome weight gain! But yeah if you mean a "lean bulk" that's just when you eat a calorie surplus of around 250 a day in order to minimize at gains. Unfortunately they are completely inevitable. Bulk and cuts are struggle and prize that anyone gain muscle gets to deal with. Id also work on the rest of your body as well, you wouldn't want to create imbalances

Definitely going to be working out my entire body. Would stopping cardio be beneficial? Or would some still help? Should i start by eating maintenance first to see how my body responds? What has been working for everyone else?
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,616 Member
    Options
    5'3" here. I'm gaining from 113 to just over 116 now. I do the basic 5 lifts with added glute and accessory work. I want to make my booty pop! You have to accept a little fat gain with any surplus. I do cardio, for several reasons: fitness, sanity, morning ritual, fun, love to eat!
  • Nikkimaxim
    Options
    5'3" here. I'm gaining from 113 to just over 116 now. I do the basic 5 lifts with added glute and accessory work. I want to make my booty pop! You have to accept a little fat gain with any surplus. I do cardio, for several reasons: fitness, sanity, morning ritual, fun, love to eat!

How many calories are you consuming? Any cardio?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Nikkimaxim wrote: »
    jessef593 wrote: »

Definitely going to be working out my entire body. Would stopping cardio be beneficial? Or would some still help? Should i start by eating maintenance first to see how my body responds? What has been working for everyone else?

You could up to maintenance first just for the sake of getting a good figure of what it is for you. If you already know and having your training planned out are ready for the bulk you could also just go for it. I spent a week or so in maintenance with my new program, making sure I knew all the lifts before I added the surplus calories and so I didn't get a spike in the scale. The huge spike came regardless though. I'd say be sure of your programming first
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,616 Member
    Options
    Nikkimaxim wrote: »

How many calories are you consuming? Any cardio?

I don't log my calories, just watch the scale. I do cardio daily-every morning with a video(love kickboxing, but mix it up), try to get in two short runs T/Th afternoons(but it doesn't always happen), circuit w/dumbbells is usually Saturday and a longer run Sunday. Nothing is completely set in stone. I have to change my schedule when necessary.
  • tdeaux
    tdeaux Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what your split is but if you are wanting to focus on glutes do 2 leg days per week. For cardio, it depends on how much you're already doing. HIIT 2 x per week for 15-20 minutes is probably all you need. Just as an aside, just because someone has similar stats doesn't mean you should do what they're doing. Your body could react totally different with their macros and training schedule. Have to test and see how your body responds. Good luck!
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    I would go to the gym and focus on that area and work out. I wish I were your weight and can't wait to be there.
  • Nikkimaxim
    Options

Were you doing any cardio during this time?
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Some cardio is beneficial for health reasons. Too much cardio can reduce you calorie surplus so be mindful of this.
  • DerrickCooper78
    Options
    Do cardio daily. Stay in a 10-15 minute range from light to moderate to focus on burning fat and using it as fuel. You don't want to deplete your carbs as fuel and then tap into your protein source if you go to long. Especially if your trying to bulk. Hit between a 200-500 calorie surplus a day (it varies for everyone), to gain lean muscle so you don't have to cut or lean later.