Options
2»

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    chism21 wrote: »
    Thank you all for your comment I would take the time to take them under consideration. @GaleHawkins I know this might not be your plan but you seem to be following a plan similar to the Atkins diet in which you restrict the amount of carbohydrates you consume per day.

@chism21 I do not know Atkins but I have been told this is the same as the first phase of the Atkins diet. Dr. Jay Wortman, M.D. states the same in his interview near the bottom of the article below.
    dietdoctor.com/diabetes

Eating <50 grams of carbs daily tiggers also Chaperone Mediated Autophagy which is to enhance our health and lifespan per some.

What is, in plain words for me, Chaperone Mediated Autophagy? I looked it up and did not understand it.

@queenliz99 I have spent a couple hours looking for a paper in layman terms and still have not found one and time is getting late and I need to get out of the office but I will take a stab at explaining it.

As we age more and more protein fragments and other toxic matter build up in the cells. Nutritional ketosis is triggered when we eat <50 grams of carbs daily for weeks/months/years at a time. The state is muscle/lean tissue sparing because it triggers CMA which means junk protein inside our cells get consumed in the process instead of our muscle mass.

This is why some research shows living mainly on fats instead of carbs when losing weight means we will lose mainly fat and limited muscle loss.

While on a LCHF Way of Eating when the carbs are <50 grams a day it is the same to the body as true starvation so CMA is triggered and it starts recycling junk protein frags from the cells back into the bloodstream to sustain life and protect the heart and other muscles so the the starving hunter will have the energy and muscles needed to chase animals for food the next day or to walk to a location and gather some form of food to take back to the tribe. This guy may not have eaten in two weeks.

Low Carb High Fat is NOT a weight loss system per se but a way to recover health and live longer per years of research findings.

It just enables most of the body to function on ketones vs. glucose. A person with congestive heart failure will pump about 20% more blood when fueled by ketone bodies vs glucose so I am sure you understand the value of that. The brain can function better on ketones especially if suffering from Alzheimer's but some parts will need glucose but that will come in part from scraps of intracellular protein that CMA moves through the cell walls and dumps it into the bloodstream for energy.

Had I known about this for my Dad he could perhaps had lived longer with his CHF and delayed the development of Alzheimer's as well because CMA can help remove brain plaque caused by Alzheimer's per some research.

Hopeful this helps enough so your can fine tune your research about CMA and why it is key to health and life. It is not a superficial subject but goes to the roots of the evolution of higher animals like the primates. Understandings where CMA helps prevent or help causes cancer is my main interest at this point in time. Yes CICO is out there but it is what that goes on between CI and CO that is unknown by most today. CMA is one of those things that are between CI and CO. The scrap protein and stored fat used by the body is a factor that we can not compute by counting calories in or calories out.

It is the unknowns that impact health and longevity that interests me today at the age of 65. I want to claim my 120 years of life's limit talked about in ancient Jewish literature. :)

This may need some editing and hopefully others show up with better explanations of CMA.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Thank you for explanation and I hope you didn't trouble too much.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    You are welcome. Until I am able to explain it to another I do not understand it. The above explanation is not what I will write 5 years from now hopefully. Good evening.
  • monicaale38
    monicaale38 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I eat every 3 hours small portion , every meal include some sort of protein, and at the end of the day before I go to sleep I drink protein shake, but the main thing is be wise on what you choose to eat, instead of chicken from a fast food, cooked at home with a little o no salt, and some natural spices, there you save lots of calories and money.
  • lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I have had the same problems before. Preplanning what you eat, pre portioning out all packaged foods as much as you can, drink more water and last but not least exercise more so you can eat more. Also get rid of what is in your house that is a trigger food and add in more fiber and protein in your diet with meats and vegies and oatmeal, etc. those are your biggest three friends when eating at a deficit. They help keep you fuller and for longer.

Man that sounds like a lot of work. Why not just kill your cravings then there will be no trigger foods in the house? With 17 year olds in my house the trigger foods set on the same table I eat at. After two weeks of not eating ANY trigger foods (things containing sugars or any form of grains) the cravings just faded away so effectively there were no trigger foods in the house in my case.

Yesss! I'm starting to get to that happy place. :smile:
  • lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I have had the same problems before. Preplanning what you eat, pre portioning out all packaged foods as much as you can, drink more water and last but not least exercise more so you can eat more. Also get rid of what is in your house that is a trigger food and add in more fiber and protein in your diet with meats and vegies and oatmeal, etc. Those are your biggest two friends when eating at a deficit. They help keep you fuller and for longer. By adding in more of fiber and protein and cutting down on carbs/sugars it may be exactly what will curb the hungries for you. I know it helps me.

I can't even eat steel cut oats. I become ravenous after about two hours...

Same. The only thing a bowl of oatmeal does for me is spike my blood sugar, which is of course followed by a crash, meaning I'll be delirious long before lunch ever get there. It's like I'm injecting myself with a hunger serum. That's why I have whole eggs with full fat bacon. Keeps me full. But steel cut oats are still a lot more healthy than cereal, for people who can actually live on that kind of stuff.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Same. The only thing a bowl of oatmeal does for me is spike my blood sugar, which is of course followed by a crash, meaning I'll be delirious long before lunch ever get there. It's like I'm injecting myself with a hunger serum. That's why I have whole eggs with full fat bacon. Keeps me full. But steel cut oats are still a lot more healthy than cereal, for people who can actually live on that kind of stuff.

I suppose it depends a lot on the serving size of the oats. If I have 70-100g dry oats I'll be stuffed for hours after breakfast, but it's not very calorie sparing. If I have a <50g portion that leaves me with more calories, I'll feel hungrier soon.

When I've had eggs for breakfast before, that always made me feel a little bit sick. So an eggy or fat-filled breakfast never worked for me.
  • glow_worm_eyes
    glow_worm_eyes Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Since I am still experimenting with this- yesterday I logged about 50 percent fats, 30 percent protein and 20 percent carbs- however should I be logging net carbs? This would make my percentages lower. @GaleHawkins
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Your patterns appear to be more mental than physical, more of a rebellious act against dieting. Your patterns show similarities with binge eating disorder. You don't necessarily have it, but dieting can trigger similar patterns, especially extreme dieting. 18 pounds in one month indicates a drastically low calorie allowance. No amount of macro manipulation is going to combat your body's cry for help against starvation. What is your daily intake and level of activity? Look into fixing your calories before you dive into the macro world.

Personally, I have been able to eliminate cravings entirely by... simply eating the foods I feel like eating. Some personality types do worse on restrictive dieting than others, and I appear to be one. If I'm not allowed to have something, it will be the only thing I think about and hunger for. If I know I must restrict something, and I'm only allowed just a little bit of it, it's never enough. If it's "the sabotaging kind" I will eat the whole jar in protest, even if I'm not a big fan (looking at you, peanut butter). So I decided, no more restricting and no more tiny portions. What do you know, it worked!

To allow for more calories to accommodate almost anything I want, I do intermittent fasting (restrict calories one day, eat maintenance the next + exercise calories back). I was pretty surprised that on fast days I would be wanting something and plan to eat it the next day, and when next day comes I'd be like "nah I'll pass". It's liberating to say no to something you know you love, not because you can't have it, but because you simply don't want it this time, or don't want a second serving because you are full. It's most liberating to eat 1 square of chocolate, even though you have the calories to fit in 10, simply because you only feel like having one square of chocolate (even if at another time you may end up having 10 without feeling guilty about it).

Long story short: first, fix your calories, then try out different strategies and see what works for you and what makes dieting easier for you. What makes dieting easier for me may not be what makes it easier for you. You are basically looking for the easiest possible way that would still allow for weight loss.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    Since I am still experimenting with this- yesterday I logged about 50 percent fats, 30 percent protein and 20 percent carbs- however should I be logging net carbs? This would make my percentages lower. @GaleHawkins

@glow_worm_eyes keep in mind I had never tried to gasp the concept of LCHF, MFP, Ketosis,etc. I was just trying to avoid the cancer risk associated with taking Enbrel long term.

When I left all sugar and all forms of grains cold turkey Oct 2014 my 5% carb, 15% protein and 80% fats was just an accident howbeit a good one.

After the cravings fell away at the start of week three of being off sugar and all forms of wheat I realized how foolish I had been to even attempt to fix my calorie intake (CI) for the past 40 years.

Accidentally finding the macro that finally removed my carb cravings automatically fixed my CI in my case and 1.5 years later it is still fixed.

The reason I became obese clearly was from CI but what was controlling my CI was just simply craving carbs and never becoming satisfied. I would gorge until it physically HURT and still keep eating.

Now on my LCHF macro above I feel like I would gag if I eat another bite after I become fully satisfied. I was 63 at the time and that was the FIRST time in my life I ever ate until satisfied. Even 12 hours later on my version of LCHF I am not as hungry as 3 hours after a High Carb meal.

When I realized by fixing my macro to stop all cravings that I automatically fixed my calorie intake it felt like Total Freedom finally after a life time of wasting my time trying to lose weight by managing my calories in.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    Options
    I have had the same problems before. Preplanning what you eat, pre portioning out all packaged foods as much as you can, drink more water and last but not least exercise more so you can eat more. Also get rid of what is in your house that is a trigger food and add in more fiber and protein in your diet with meats and vegies and oatmeal, etc. Those are your biggest two friends when eating at a deficit. They help keep you fuller and for longer. By adding in more of fiber and protein and cutting down on carbs/sugars it may be exactly what will curb the hungries for you. I know it helps me.

I can't even eat steel cut oats. I become ravenous after about two hours...

Ya, I have to add an egg, or yogurt, or protein powder to oats for them to be remotely satisfying and they still work best as a bed time snack for me rather than breakfast.
  • glow_worm_eyes
    glow_worm_eyes Posts: 34 Member
    Options

@glow_worm_eyes keep in mind I had never tried to gasp the concept of LCHF, MFP, Ketosis,etc. I was just trying to avoid the cancer risk associated with taking Enbrel long term.

When I left all sugar and all forms of grains cold turkey Oct 2014 my 5% carb, 15% protein and 80% fats was just an accident howbeit a good one.

After the cravings fell away at the start of week three of being off sugar and all forms of wheat I realized how foolish I had been to even attempt to fix my calorie intake (CI) for the past 40 years.

Accidentally finding the macro that finally removed my carb cravings automatically fixed my CI in my case and 1.5 years later it is still fixed.

The reason I became obese clearly was from CI but what was controlling my CI was just simply craving carbs and never becoming satisfied. I would gorge until it physically HURT and still keep eating.

Now on my LCHF macro above I feel like I would gag if I eat another bite after I become fully satisfied. I was 63 at the time and that was the FIRST time in my life I ever ate until satisfied. Even 12 hours later on my version of LCHF I am not as hungry as 3 hours after a High Carb meal.

When I realized by fixing my macro to stop all cravings that I automatically fixed my calorie intake it felt like Total Freedom finally after a life time of wasting my time trying to lose weight by managing my calories in.

Wow. I love what you have to say. Thanks @GaleHawkins