No body shape change

Options
I have slowly been losing weight just by exercising more and reducing my portion sizes. My scales say I've lost 21lbs over the last 8-9 months and my clothes are feeling loose. People I know have commented on my weight loss but I can't see where it's gone from. I was nearly 13.5 stone and now I'm around 11st 8Ibs and gone from a UK size 16-18 to more 14-16. Why can't I see where the weight has gone from in my body shape?

Replies

• KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    It just depends on where the weight has come off. You might lose it from weird places like your calves or you may have just lost a nice layer from all over. However, if you're talking "body shape" as in apples, pears etc. your shape will probably stay the same, just the dimensions will shrink.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Welcome to my world. Can't get curves no matter what, i am just built, um, sleek. Heavier, lighter, more muscled, skinny past what's healthy, the basic shape remains. I think your body type is genetic, and at the healthy weight and compisition you will be an ideal example of that body type. You don't turn into a different person. Just the right size and shape for you.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I never saw the difference until I compared myself to my old pictures or tried to put my old clothes on.
  • nettasaura
    nettasaura Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I've lost 63 pounds to date and I still can't see it when I look in the mirror. However, photos are telling an entirely different story. Take photos...even if you don't show them to anyone else and I bet you can see the difference there. It takes the brain a while to catch up to your reflection in a lot of cases. I was just saying the other day how I am going to look up and see a stranger staring back at me one of these days.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Try taking measurements. You might not see it but the tape measure often shows things the eyes can't see.
  • benzieboxx
    benzieboxx Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I would take measurements, like others have suggested. It's hard to see the difference in yourself when you see yourself every day. For me, it affects my face first so people usually notice that first. My thighs are the last to go which is just so awesome *heavy sarcasm*

Overall I've lost ~30lbs since I've started this whole journey (even before I was using MFP) and I can see a huge difference when I look back at, say, my work badge. When I look in the mirror I feel like I'm not making progress but I know I am. I try not to stress about it.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I'm down 85 lbs and I'm the same shape I was when I started. There's just a whole lot less of me, having dropped from a us standard 20/22 to a 10/12.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Have you taken measurements or compared an old picture to a new one? Take measurements and a photo every month and you might see the difference more there than looking in the mirror.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    Your SHAPE is genetic. In most cases of weight loss/gain, you'll retain your shape, you'll just be bigger or smaller versions of yourself.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I never saw the difference until I compared myself to my old pictures or tried to put my old clothes on.

Same here. Even though I've lost weight I still feel like the fat girl, until I see what I used to wear, or old FB photis. Really puts things into perspective. I think we never really totally lose that feeling.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Your measurements will tell you where you lost it. Your progress pics will show you. Your clothes show you. You can't rely on memory of what you think you looked like before vs now. The memory method if comparing is simply not accurate. I've lost 137 lbs. if you asked me to select before & after pics out of zn anonymous group of pics there is no way I would select the right ones. The chosen before pic would be better than it was & the after pic not as good as reality
  • Gyp5y2
    Gyp5y2 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies. Going to try and find my tape measure :)
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Unless you are doing a weightlifting programme your body shape will not change. Yes the basic shape and where you store and carry fat is genetic and if you lose weight through diet and cardio alone you will just end up a smaller version of your current shape.

You can totally change your body shape through weightlifting (aka bodybuilding aka building the body shape you want).
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    It took side by side progress pictures over the course of months to get me to notice changes. I know shape is genetic, but I feel like my body shape actually did change. Someone with even more experience than me, please correct me on this or explain further, but I feel like as I lost weight I had a shape that I didn't know I had. I feel like I originally looked more "apple" like, but that changed. I'm not sure how to describe it and my progress photos can explain it more. I think after the initial loss I did become a smaller version of my shape as people are saying, though.

nfvvqjbz04j4.jpg
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Hi Synacious.

to me it looks like your body is similar to mine. I don't generally put on much fat but when I do it all lands between my belly button and upper thighs. It looks sort of dumpy. When I am lean, the fat that persists is in my middle; I am built like a ruler, sleek not curvy.

I would say you uncovered your shape.

What I mean by "shape won't change" is that the shape defined by your skeleton and body's patterns of fat deposits can't be altered without surgery. I can't become an hourglass or true pear shape because whether fat or slim or muscled, I will be tall and have slim hipbones, wide shoulders, 1" between ribs and hipbones so no waist ever.
    synacious wrote: »
    It took side by side progress pictures over the course of months to get me to notice changes. I know shape is genetic, but I feel like my body shape actually did change. Someone with even more experience than me, please correct me on this or explain further, but I feel like as I lost weight I had a shape that I didn't know I had. I feel like I originally looked more "apple" like, but that changed. I'm not sure how to describe it and my progress photos can explain it more.

• Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    synacious wrote: »
    It took side by side progress pictures over the course of months to get me to notice changes. I know shape is genetic, but I feel like my body shape actually did change. Someone with even more experience than me, please correct me on this or explain further, but I feel like as I lost weight I had a shape that I didn't know I had. I feel like I originally looked more "apple" like, but that changed. I'm not sure how to describe it and my progress photos can explain it more. I think after the initial loss I did become a smaller version of my shape as people are saying, though.

nfvvqjbz04j4.jpg

Amazing work. Totally impressed!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    My body shape doesn't change when I lose weight either, I just get smaller all over. It just depends on how/where your body stores fat. I don't see a shape change until I lose too much weight.
  • thunder1982
    thunder1982 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    My natural shape is hourglass but my weight had got to a point where I lost most of my natural waist. The first few kilos came off there, I lost 10cm around the waist quite quickly. Now the waist cms are slow to come off. From this point I expect my shape will stay the same and reduce all over. It's hard work from here for me to see weight loss as it does come off all over rather than one concentrated area. It's partly how I got here, I can easily put on 5-8kg without going up a clothes size. At the moment I am on the cusp of Aus 14 but I know for me this size can accomodate a large weight range. I can expect to be in this size for close to 8 kgs before I drop again.
  • dmack073082
    dmack073082 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Your SHAPE is genetic. In most cases of weight loss/gain, you'll retain your shape, you'll just be bigger or smaller versions of yourself.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

This the best advice I have ever heard a trainer give. We must get realistic about our body shapes. They are genetic and cannot be changed. Use this calculator to analyze your shape.

http://shopyourshape.com/calculate-your-body-shape/
  • TanishaMoore613
    TanishaMoore613 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Unless you are doing a weightlifting programme your body shape will not change. Yes the basic shape and where you store and carry fat is genetic and if you lose weight through diet and cardio alone you will just end up a smaller version of your current shape.

You can totally change your body shape through weightlifting (aka bodybuilding aka building the body shape you want).

THIS! 100%, Genetics only load the gun, you and your actions pull the trigger! Yes you have a natural shape but with a proper "cut"( fat loss regimen) and bulk"( muscle building) you can definitely obtain a new shape it takes discipline. Also stated above that's is the literal definition of Bodybuilding. And I am a genetic researcher w/ a background in nutrition and someone who has been there before and accomplished what you are doing, it can be done. Keep at it