Slowly giving up because I'm always hungry

Options

Replies

• amandatapar
    amandatapar Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    For me personally my cravings are greatly reduced when I cut processed carbs and junk like chips/cookies/etc. So the whole as long as it fits your calories doesn't work for me. I feel better not eating that stuff. I feel more full on high fat and protein than I did the other way.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Stop the 'all or nothing' thinking
    Some days will be better than others. No quitting.
  • lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Stop the "moderation" thinking if it's not working for you. If you just stop eating that stuff, it will stop tempting you. Carbs, especially refined carbs, make you hungry, and make you hungry for more and more and more. Fat and protein keep you full.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    How much weight are you trying to lose and how fast?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I'm also tempted with free snacks and chocolate at work. I've been on this for 9 weeks now and for the first month my daily plan included a small chocolate such as a Hershey Kiss. It's not cheating if it's in the plan. I had it each day at 3:30, so that I'd be close to quitting time. I eventually just decided I didn't want it any more and I've not been tempted to it.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Don't look at this diet as just about eating. It's involved much more. Lifestyle, perspective, attitude, behaviors... you gotta make changes on all fronts. Making changes on one front won't likely sustainable as the other fronts will pull it back for "correction" It's a system!
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    kimouette2 wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I feel like I am giving up on my caloric goal and I know that this is all because of my lack of willpower/sugar cravings/carb cravings....

Do you guys have any recommendation? Have you been there and figured out a try way to get back on track?
    Been there, done that. It sucks. Really, it doesn't get easier. Well, it doesn't get more difficult either. Getting back on track starts with getting back on track. Every time. Even if it is after one day or one year. Resolve to never give in nor give up.

For people just starting out, I say don't worry about diet. Too many variables Just start running and keep a detailed log. You're not just starting out, but it be interesting to try anyway.
  • kimouette2
    kimouette2 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I thought all my infos were public...
    I want to lose 15 pounds. But as soon as I lose one or two I earn it back the next week.
    It all started when I quit smoking!
    I set MFP to lose 0.5 pound a week which allows me to eat 1330 cal a day.
    With my exercise I earn an extra 300-500 a day (monitored with Digifit), but even with these extra calories, I am hungry if I don't eat close to 2000cal
    :(
    The more I sweat the more I am hungry but that wasn't the case when I started this journey
  • janiceh2016
    janiceh2016 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    How does one reset??? .."Maybe I should set the ratio back to what it was so that I could atleast meet the "normal recommendation" ... I fiddled around with the percentages etc and maybe have messed it up
  • kimouette2
    kimouette2 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    How does one reset??? .."Maybe I should set the ratio back to what it was so that I could atleast meet the "normal recommendation" ... I fiddled around with the percentages etc and maybe have messed it up

Here's something I found on MFP's blog:
    MyFitnessPal’s Current Default Goals
    MyFitnessPal’s current default goals distribute calories as follows: 50% from carbohydrates, 20% from protein and 30% from fat.

To help you visualize some modest modifications, here’s a table summarizing a couple of options for safely cutting back on calories from carbohydrates and fat while increasing protein intake to optimize the diet for weight loss:

... see original URL to view the chart...

For those primarily interested in cutting calories from carbohydrates, a 1,200-calorie diet with 45% of calories from carbohydrates would provide 135 grams of carbohydrates, thus meeting the RDA of 130 grams. Go below that and it becomes incredibly difficult to hit your daily fiber goal (which also helps with satiety) and you may feel more sluggish during workouts. Hypothetically speaking, a 1,300-calorie diet with as few as 40% calories from carbohydrates (below the recommended minimum) would still meet the RDA for carbohydrates.

If you’re currently using MyFitnessPal’s default goals and want to trade some carb calories for protein, the 45:25 carbohydrate-to-protein ratio may be a good place to start.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Agree with others above that planning to include the foods that tempt you, in small quantities and as part of a primarily nutrient dense diet, can often make those out of control cravings go away.

You said you only have 15 lbs to lose and had your goal set to 0.5 lb/week and you're eating back exercise calories. That's great! Those are all the right ways to be successful! Were you losing at that rate, or faster?

You also mentioned being hungry quite often, are you getting plenty of protein? When I started exercising more it really surprised me how much better that made me feel.

I would keep at what you are doing but try working prelogged amounts of the foods you crave into your plan before attempting to go cold turkey or looking at appetite suppressants. With only 15 lbs to lose I really don't think you need to resort to medication. I think you need to really give moderation a go, and then if that doesn't work, or if you identify certain trigger foods, then maybe try some elimination of those either temporarily or permanently.
  • freelancejouster
    freelancejouster Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be honest, I didn't read the rest of the conversation, but I did take a look at your food diary. I know that for me when my goal was 1600 (yours is a less) that I was always eating over and always disappointed in myself. So step one, to give it one last try, I changed my goal to "lose .5 lbs a week", which shot it up to 1790, and then step two) I added a couple more calories for good measure. Now I had an attainable goal of 1810.

(I actually just glanced up and it said that you were already set to lose .5 lbs a week, which seems kind of silly to me. I think you should do some research on your BMR (likely around 1500) and your maintenance (likely between 1800 and 2300) and just net at 250 calories under maintenance, including eating your exercise calories).

Now step three) is to change your snacking habits. I saw that you eat a LOT of chocolate, like hundreds and hundreds of calories of chocolate, which is calorie dense. If you try and switch your chocolate craving to rice cakes (if you need salt) or an apple (if you need sweet) and eat just 100-150 calories of that it might be nearly as filling and help to satisfy that craving. You can still have a couple hundred calories of chocolate after supper if you really need it, but try and see it as a treat for doing well the whole day rather than a regularly incorporated snack.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Would you please change your Sodium count to Fiber? I want to see if you are getting enough fiber, which is important for satiety. I don't see a lot of vegetables in your diary. See also http://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthyliving/fuller/understanding-satiety-feeling-full-after-a-meal.html

Looks like you are getting most of your protein from diary and nuts? What about eggs (if you eat them) and especially legumes, which are a staple for my vegan friends?

When I do the following, I don't have cravings:

1. Get sufficient sleep
    2. Exercise regularly - when I get the happy hormones from exercise, I'm not prone to seeking them from food.
    3. Get sufficient protein in relationship to carbs. I'm not low carb, but reducing carbs and upping protein worked for cravings for me.
    4. Eat moderate amounts of fruit
    5. Take a magnesium supplement. This can be especially helpful for women premenstrually.
    6. Save foods like chocolate for after dinner, in small amounts

• xtina315
    xtina315 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I still eat snacks and have cookies and such if it fits I eat it lol. Have a treat if it fits in your coloric allotment, because if you do not have little things here and their youl'll more than likely want to binge.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    The way I look at it is that in six months to a year from now I don't want to wish I had stuck with it right now. Looking at where I want to be in the future helps me a lot. If you give up now and look back a year from now at where you were when you gave up then it will really be depressing. Keep moving forward!
  • fivelongmiles
    fivelongmiles Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I recently figured out I was low in magnesium. I only found this out when I cut out some foods to figure out a health issue and suddenly was a lot less hungry and with no interest in chocolate whatsoever. I was only a week into the experiment and I'd gone from "struggling to avoid 700+ calories of chocolate per day" to "I don't want it even though it's on a lower, easier-to-reach shelf than the vegetables". In. A. Week.

Looking at your diary, I see a lot of chocolate and very little that would be high in magnesium. Might be worth a try? Good foods for magnesium are things like bananas, sweet potatoes, carrots, potatoes, a couple of squares of dark chocolate - though I didn't even fancy the dark chocolate once I'd had lots of the other stuff.
  • ModernRock
    ModernRock Posts: 372 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Take a break and eat at maintenance for a few days every few weeks. If you have been overweight for years, then getting to your goal weight a few weeks later than you would if you had been "perfect" won't make any difference. Unless, that is, you still aren't satisfied even when you eat at maintenance. In that case you may need to look at some deeper changes in your lifestyle/attitude/habits/mental health.
  • Tsartele
    Tsartele Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    kimouette2 wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I feel like I am giving up on my caloric goal and I know that this is all because of my lack of willpower/sugar cravings/carb cravings/and the fact that I am surrounded by sugary food and chocolate at work.

Couple of weeks ago I felt like nothing could stop me! I was eating right, I was finally losing weight and feeling amazing while respecting my caloric goals. But cheat after cheat, I am now completely unable to stick to my goal... I don't even monitor everything I eat because it is too disappointing...

Deep down unside I know what I want, I do exercise almost every single day, I love healthy food and I know what is right for me, but I feel like a junky when it comes to resisting to a cookie or a piece of cake.
    I am a vegetarian and would like to keep it that way.

Do you guys have any recommendation? Have you been there and figured out a way to get back on track?

Thanks a lot for your help!
    Kim

Personally I recommend something to help curb the cravings and for me that was Adipex. Like one of the other guys on here who recommended Contrave these doctor prescribed drugs can make a world of difference. I take one pill in the morning and consume 1200-1350 cals a day and have lost 18 lbs in 5 weeks. It just plain works. I would suggest that you include your normal workout routine as well to get the maximum benefit. Find a weight loss doctor in your area and have them create a program that will work for you. I believe that you should use every tool at your disposal to achieve your goals.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I recently figured out I was low in magnesium. I only found this out when I cut out some foods to figure out a health issue and suddenly was a lot less hungry and with no interest in chocolate whatsoever. I was only a week into the experiment and I'd gone from "struggling to avoid 700+ calories of chocolate per day" to "I don't want it even though it's on a lower, easier-to-reach shelf than the vegetables". In. A. Week.

Looking at your diary, I see a lot of chocolate and very little that would be high in magnesium. Might be worth a try? Good foods for magnesium are things like bananas, sweet potatoes, carrots, potatoes, a couple of squares of dark chocolate - though I didn't even fancy the dark chocolate once I'd had lots of the other stuff.

Ya, if I stop taking my magnesium supplement for more than a few days I'm back to wanting to

12607150.jpg