How many eggs should you consume daily

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    IMO, I would follow the advice to eat up to one egg a day.

johnwelk wrote: »

Research is now showing that refined carbs rather than natural animal fat are the real culprit. Refined carbs increase inflammation, which damages the heart and arteries. It damages the entire body, in fact, and speeds up the aging process. That's what inflammation does. Also causes pain and arthritis and all that other fun stuff. We're now at a turning point in history in which the average life span is decreasing rather than increasing, largely due to the widespread consumption of processed foods.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2869506/
    Exercise causes inflammation, should we not exercise.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12690937

Research has shown inflammation to be protective, and yes I know this is a mice study, but I'm trying to show that inflammation is way more nuanced than you make it out to be.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21892182
    Research has shown that endurance athletes are at risk for some health problems due to exercise. In other words, there is a limit as to how much exercise one should do.

Also, I don't think one can extrapolate the results of that mice study in relation to inflammation caused by a poor diet.

One egg a day? Really?

No.
  • Irishsugar
    Irishsugar Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    If I am making some hard boiled eggs I will usually eat 2 for breakfast then put 1-2 in a salad for dinner that night and the next night. I do this maybe once or twice a week. I find them very filling... Whoever said they eat one egg and another egg white that's a great idea!!
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    robs_ready wrote: »
    You probably don't want a scientific debate on the subject, but I eat some days 6 eggs a day.

Eggs are one of the most nutritionally dense foods on the planet (the yolk part) and is a good protein source.

This is what my husband keeps telling me. :D But I don't want the extra calories so I eat only the eggwhites
  • johnwelk
    johnwelk Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Who's advice is it to eat up to one egg a day and based on what data?
    Research has shown that endurance athletes are at risk for some health problems due to exercise. In other words, there is a limit as to how much exercise one should do.
    Plese reread what I wrote. Where did I say anything about endurance athletes or unlimited exercise? My point was that inflammation can't be simplified to "its all bad"
    Also, I don't think one can extrapolate the results of that mice study in relation to inflammation caused by a poor diet.
    Again, reread what I wrote. I didn't imply that those results should be extrapolated to anything. I stated that it was a mouse study. I was making a point that the poster was over simplifying a very complex process.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

Research is now showing that refined carbs rather than natural animal fat are the real culprit. Refined carbs increase inflammation, which damages the heart and arteries. It damages the entire body, in fact, and speeds up the aging process. That's what inflammation does. Also causes pain and arthritis and all that other fun stuff. We're now at a turning point in history in which the average life span is decreasing rather than increasing, largely due to the widespread consumption of processed foods.

Research has shown inflammation to be protective, and yes I know this is a mice study, but I'm trying to show that inflammation is way more nuanced than you make it out to be.

One egg a day? Really?

No.

aggelikik wrote: »
    The current medical recommendation is one per day : http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/eggs/

I would love see data that shows eating 3+ eggs a day is perfectly safe long term.
  • veggiecanner
    veggiecanner Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I eat 1 twice a week. My cholesteral was very high. So I'm waiting to see if it goes down then I'll think about eating more. we have 10 chickens that lay 7 eggs a day. we used to eat most all of them.expected my dr. to tell me how many to eat but she was no
  • sammieyem
    sammieyem Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I eat 4-5 egg whites every morning to make sure I get my protein in. haven't really read anything that told me having more than 3 was bad... It's a very popular food in bodybuilding
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I eat 4-6 a lot of days. I would say I average around 3 when it's all said and done. Just finish 3 Ameraucana eggs. They were yummy.
  • johnwelk
    johnwelk Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I would love see data that shows eating 3+ eggs a day is perfectly safe long term.

Neither jorocka or I made any such claim. Jorocka was just telling what he eats, nothing was implied about eating 3+ eggs a day long term. I questioned the the claim that the current recommendation is one egg a day. That link to Harvard looks to be few years old as the latest reference is from 2008. It also is an opinion piece not a medical recommendation, scroll to the bottom and see the terms of use. The current research on eggs is that if you are diabetic you should limit your consumption, in everyone else eggs have been shown to be fine and even somewhat cardioprotective. The current AHA guidelines no longer include limiting egg consumption, once I find the link I'll post it. The new US dietary guidelines removed cholesterol as a nutrient of concern and as far as I can tell the new guidelines don't expressly limit eggs. I may be wrong about that as I haven't read through the whole document as its quite long and is a boring read.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I have 2 eggs most days, sometimes 3. I love eggs and eat them without abandon.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I eat about 10 per week. I have them for breakfast 4-5 times a week in a 2-egg (with yolks!) vegetable omelet. My favorite breakfast, but I occasionally like oatmeal instead. They also make for a great fast dinner if short on time or out of ideas (I only do this if I didn't have an omelet for breakfast, since overkill).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

One egg a day? Really?

No.

aggelikik wrote: »
    The current medical recommendation is one per day : http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/eggs/

The dietary recommendations are changing.

Here's an interesting piece with a discussion of some studies: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-katz-md/cholesterol-unscrambled_b_6692940.html

I'd add to this that if eggs are harmless but shouldn't displace foods that seem to be more beneficial (even if, gasp!, carbs), what does that mean for someone like me, for whom 2 eggs are the perfect vehicle for adding a bunch of beneficial vegetables to my breakfast? I'd say it means they are probably beneficial, or at least as good as most other things that sound appealing (like steel cut with fruit).
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Typically, I eat 3 eggs per day - 4 if I lift.

My doctor consistently looks at my bloodwork, tells me that I'm the healthiest patient he has, and tells me (jokingly) to get out of his office.
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    1 full, 3 whites omelette for breakfast most mornings, occasional hard boiled egg as a snack. Additional when I'm cooking various foods that require it, I sometimes after a very long day and don't want to cook, I'll crack a couple more and have an omelette.
    Never more than 8 a day but the average varies, not once had adverse effects because of over consumption. To state here 1 egg a day is madness, its a staple of most BBs diets.
    I've also read several studies now that cholesterol in eggs do not add to your bodies cholesterol levels, I was sceptical but I've came across multiple times now.
  • Alassonde
    Alassonde Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I eat lots of eggs and my cholesterol is fantastic. When my cholesterol was slightly up one year (still not bad, just not as good as the year before) my doctor attributed it to my fast food habit that had been more out of hand that year. I cut back on the fast food, cholesterol went down again.
  • drwilseyjr
    drwilseyjr Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I eat about three a day. Sometimes four. I also live a very active life and lift for 1 1/2 to 2 hours a day.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    As Lewis Black said - The people who told us about sun block were the same people who told us, when I was a kid, that eggs were good. So I ate a lot of eggs. Ten years later they said they were bad. I went, "Well, I just ate the eggs!" So I stopped eating eggs, and ten years later they said they were good again! Well, then I ate twice as many, and then they said they were bad. Well, now I'm really ***ked! Then they said they're good, they're bad, they're good, the whites are good, th-the yellows - make up your mind! It's breakfast I've gotta eat!
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19751443
    For many years, both the medical community and the general public have incorrectly associated eggs with high serum cholesterol and being deleterious to health, even though cholesterol is an essential component of cells and organisms. It is now acknowledged that the original studies purporting to show a linear relation between cholesterol intake and coronary heart disease (CHD) may have contained fundamental study design flaws, including conflated cholesterol and saturated fat consumption rates and inaccurately assessed actual dietary intake of fats by study subjects. Newer and more accurate trials, such as that conducted by Frank B. Hu of the Harvard School of Public Health (1999), have shown that consumption of up to seven eggs per week is harmonious with a healthful diet, except in male patients with diabetes for whom an association in higher egg intake and CHD was shown. The degree to which serum cholesterol is increased by dietary cholesterol depends upon whether the individual's cholesterol synthesis is stimulated or down-regulated by such increased intake, and the extent to which each of these phenomena occurs varies from person to person. Several recent studies have shed additional light on the specific interplay between dietary cholesterol and cardiovascular health risk. It is evident that the dynamics of cholesterol homeostasis, and of development of CHD, are extremely complex and multifactorial. In summary, the earlier purported adverse relationship between dietary cholesterol and heart disease risk was likely largely over-exaggerated
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options