If i start lifting weights will i gain weight?

Options
I was wondering cuz alot of people have been saying that they gained muscle weight and i kinda wanna start lifting to get a squarer chest

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You may gain a couple of pounds or see your weight loss stall (if you are working on weight loss) due to water retention. Your muscles retain water in order to help their repair process. It's completely normal. If you're eating in a deficit to lose weight, the water can mask your fat loss. So you'd still be losing fat but the weight of the fat loss could be counterbalanced by the weight of the water. It's not a big deal and will eventually subside.

When I look at my weight log, the first month I really started lifting, I gained 3 pounds total. The next month I lost 3 pounds total. After that my weight loss continued on as normal. Not everybody is exactly the same, of course, so that doesn't mean you'll gain or lose exactly 3 pounds but that was my experience with it.

I highly recommend starting to lift. You will see/feel results even while losing weight. It helps to give you a better shape (male or female) so that when you get to your goal weight you have a good starting point at which you can maintain weight and keep lifting or decide if you want to eat a bit over maintenance in order to build muscle faster while still lifting.
  • Gioeyebrow
    Gioeyebrow Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Thanks im definitly gonna start lifting then