Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Excercise Before Breakfast

Options
13»

Replies

• Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I don't get a good workout if I have food in my stomach. I feel sluggish and heavy. Plus I workout at 6am, get up at 5am and eating that early in the morning makes me feel nauseous.

Also, my first meal of the day is at 1p.

And lastly, I cannot imagine waiting to workout until after work. The only thing that I want to do at that time of day is collapse on the couch :)
  • Mandygring
    Mandygring Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I also run before I eat. I hate feeling heavy when I run. I also if I drink too much water, that feels strange too.
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    i never eat before my runs. i get this really sharp pain if i walk/run after eating/drinking. so i do it always on a empty stomach.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I am up at 2:30am, eating at 3:00, and lifting by 4:00. Best of both worlds for me.
  • chapiano
    chapiano Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    It goes against all the advice but I am an early morning runner on a empty stomach. Just works for me.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    topeb wrote: »
    yes if you eat before exercise your body will burn the food for energy. if you exercise on an empty stomach your body will burn fat for energy.

No it won't. Whether the body burns stored glycogen or stored intramuscular triglycerides (actually a combination of both) has almost no effect on stored body fat. Body fat is gained and lost based on long-term energy balance, not on the fuel burned during exercise.

Even if fasted cardio does burn a higher percentage of fat as fuel (based also on intensity), that does not affect stored body fat independent of calories expended.
  • MarriedToTheBob
    MarriedToTheBob Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I like to eat a piece of fruit and drink water before working out in the morning.
  • jolive7
    jolive7 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I think you would find there may be a higher success rate in weight loss from those who trained in the morning because people can generally find so many more excuses throughout the day to miss it at night