No result after 30 lbs lost

Options
Hi all I feel really de-motivated right now. I started at 246lbs and have lost 30lbs in 10 weeks so far. There is literally no difference in my appearance. I feel like I've given up. I used to go to the gym 5 times a week but this week I've only gone 2 times. No one has noticed my weight loss and neither have I. Please help me get motivated :(

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    People with quite a bit to lose may not have significant physical appearance change. In most cases, you're just going to look like a smaller version of yourself. It's only been 2.5 months. That's NOTHING in weight loss length of time, especially if you've got a lot of weight to lose. Is it hard because you may expect more? Sure, which is why I hate shows like the Biggest Loser because many people have this expectation that 6lb to 10lbs a week weight loss is something sustainable.
    Buck up. It's a bump in the road. NOTHING will happen if you give up. Something WILL HAPPEN if you continue.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Hi all I feel really de-motivated right now. I started at 246lbs and have lost 30lbs in 10 weeks so far. There is literally no difference in my appearance. I feel like I've given up. I used to go to the gym 5 times a week but this week I've only gone 2 times. No one has noticed my weight loss and neither have I. Please help me get motivated :(

No one has commented. They may have noticed, but not said anything. Weight loss is a sensitive subject for many people, and people may just be uncomfortable talking about it.

That said, I started at 253, and really didn't notice on myself until I got into the 200's.

It may take a bit more for you to see the change. Do you feel a change? Easier to move around? Not tired as much?
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how you can feel demotivated with such excellent results!! You're losing consistently, you're working towards a healthier you!! Have you checked your measurements lately? I'd bet you've lost more inches than you realize! Don't despair, you are doing good things for yourself! Keep going, eventually your eyes will see that there is change!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Paper Towel Theory by Bob White

Let's assume you go out and buy two rolls of paper towels, each with only 84 paper towels on it (one for each day of the challenge). You put one aside, and keep it for future reference (your before/ picture).

The other one represents you (I'll call your paper towel you "Ed"). The core represents the lean Ed. The towels represent the fat that is covering the lean Ed. For sake of argument, let's say that Ed wants to lose 21 pounds of fat, so (84/21) each sheet represents a quarter-pound of fat lost.

Each day you lose weight, you tear a sheet off of Ed, representing the fat he has lost for the week. Next, you put Ed next to the full roll ("Big Al") for comparison. No noticeable difference after a month!!! This can't be working for me!

But, being a good Ed, you continue to follow diet and exercise. At the end of months two and three, you continue to compare Ed to Big Al, and still notice very little difference.

But Ed is determined! He works hard! More months go by, the sheets peeling off day after day, before Ed gets up the courage to stand next to Big Al again. Holy cow! Ed is skinny! OK, not skinny, but less huge!!!

By the end of weight loss, Ed is down to his lean dream, or somewhere near it. Ed is happy. We are happy. Big Al - well he's not so happy.

The lesson to be learned is that fat, like paper towels, comes off in sheets. When you are heavy, you are big around. And when you are big around,that fat is spread over a MUCH larger area - just like that outside towel sheet. The closer you get to the lean you, the more each lost pound of fat shows, because it is spread over a smaller area.

While the outside sheet may only cover 1 layer of the roll, the inside sheet may go around 4 times. That last sheet looks like it gives you 4 times the results of the first sheet, but in reality, the results are the same - your perception is just different! And you'll never see the inside, if you aren't patient while the outside is coming off!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options

@FlabToFitty hang in there. At that rate of loss you may have lost 15 pounds of lean mass. Also different macros determine ratio lean/fat tissue loss. I went 6 weeks and did not lose one pound but I lost my fat face and an inch at the waist. Look at your carb, protein and fats make up of your macro.

Best of success and I bet it will not take you 40 years to get this thing figured out like it did me.

Keep in mind that most do not accept/see our weight loss until after we drop 50 pounds. :) Measure one's size and see if inches are coming off even when we still feel fat.
  • LPintheCity
    LPintheCity Posts: 26 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Hey there, sorry to hear that no one seems to be noticing. That can be hard when you feel like you've put so much work in... But like others have said, you have GOT to compliment yourself for the progress you have made! Here are some suggestions I have. Start a video journal and try to make a recording a few times a week. It is so rewarding to go back and watch how you have changed over time. Also, you might want to start keeping measurements (inches on chest/waist/hips). I find that relying solely on a scale to gauge your progress can be demotivating at times because you put in so much work, and rely on only one thing to gauge your progress. Pictures, videos, inches, and the scale together can REALLY help you see your successes and keep you motivated. Also add more MFP buddies!

Good luck!