caloric goal and Fitbit data

Options
For those of us who have Fitbit...

Do you rely on the caloric burn data from your device when planning your intake? I'm getting conflicting information. There are sites and people dedicated to bodybuilding and exercise that give a cute little calculation with which to determine target calories. I get a BMR of 2000 or so and based on a medium level of daily activity 2500. Then, eating to build would put me at 2900 or so.

OK, now, factor in the Fitbit: on average, the number of calories I burn on a workday which almost always is a workout day is 3100-3300 calories. That means in order to build I need to have an intake of 3500 or more. That number is crazy high. In order to get that level, I'd have to eat unhealthy food at least once a day, considering my time limitations.

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I use my Fitbit to calculate my TDEE and have been maintaining for almost 3 months. I will say that not all Fitbits are accurate. I did have a crappy Zip that gave me a TDEE of 3,000.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I've had Fitbit for 18 months now. I also have 18 months of spreadsheet data, detailing my intake and weight. Fitbit estimates daily maintenance of 2200 for me. My spreadsheet estimates 2167. Online calculators estimate 1900-2000 for my stats.

So, yeah, I trust the higher estimate from my Fitbit, which is more in line with my real results. For you, OP, and all of us, all these devices and algorithms are just estimates. Pick one, test it by eating it for 4-6 weeks, collect data, adjust intake as necessary.
  • chrismwpcs
    chrismwpcs Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I've recorded every meal for 387 days in a row and use my history to work out TDEE. These calculators are loose estimates to get you in the ball park all else is from diligent recording of your intake. You don't have to eat unhealthily to gain, right now my TDEE is 3300 and my intake is clean. I am bulking so I've been up at 3500. Stay within your macro range and you will be fine. Good luck.