Diet drinks and weight loss?

Options
I believe its been a while since this has been discussed, wonder if there is any new information on if diet drinks are a healthy choice or not.
Do they slow weight loss in any way?

Replies

• Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    If they contain no calories, no they don't.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    They aren't a health "hazzard" unless you have PKU or a reaction to them or drink an ungodly amount of them on a daily basis.
    I usually drink a couple of diet Pepsi's a day and have been for over 25+ years.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • benzieboxx
    benzieboxx Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I haven't found any peer reviewed information on the whole diet soda issue. I drink diet sodas every once in a while because I just crave them and don't want to blow my calories on a regular soda. If you're just drinking them every once in a while, or even once a day, I don't see any harm unless you have some sort of medical issue.

Too much of anything can be a bad thing and I'm not about to target diet soda. For me, moderation is always key.
  • dbkyser
    dbkyser Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I try and stick to just water but had a diet coke today and it was like amazing and I have not craved anything else all day.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Nothing is healthier than water.
  • mekeshiajordan
    mekeshiajordan Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm losing weight and I drink at least two diet Pepsi's a day. I have tried not to but I crave it so bad. I plan to increase my water intake this week to 6 glasses a day with my soda and see how it goes.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    everything in moderation is key. however, I found that once I stopped drinking them I have a better time with my food cravings. Diet drinks may have zero calories but you body still produces insulin to break down what it perceives to be sugar in your system. Just keep that in mind when it comes to anything with artificial sweeteners. Maybe instead of two a day, eventually you can work yourself up to plain carbonated water with lemon or lime wedges in it. This way you can still get the carbonation. So to answer your question: not healthy but its okay here and there in my oppinion. Just try not to
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I think the bigger issue may be the sodium in some of them that can cause you to retain water, but then if you are consistent about it it all comes out in the wash.
  • aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Some of my colleagues are doing studies to see if any artificial sweetener's alterations of the gut microbiota have negative effects and clinical trials to see impacts of insulin response. Although they have yet to complete or publish, I went to a seminar on their data and the results so far are mixed. They are not across the board for all sweeteners (which makes sense because they are all chemically different) and while a diet soda caused one response, placing the same artificial sweetener in water did not replicate the insulin reaction seen. I think it will be interesting going forward but I don't know that there will ever be much evidence to support anything other than moderation.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    everything in moderation is key. however, I found that once I stopped drinking them I have a better time with my food cravings. Diet drinks may have zero calories but you body still produces insulin to break down what it perceives to be sugar in your system. Just keep that in mind when it comes to anything with artificial sweeteners. Maybe instead of two a day, eventually you can work yourself up to plain carbonated water with lemon or lime wedges in it. This way you can still get the carbonation. So to answer your question: not healthy but its okay here and there in my oppinion. Just try not to

Nope. Your body isn't that stupid.
    https://examine.com/faq/do-artificial-sweeteners-spike-insulin/
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    makingmark wrote: »
    I think the bigger issue may be the sodium in some of them that can cause you to retain water, but then if you are consistent about it it all comes out in the wash.

There is absolutely no additional sodium in soda apart from what's already in water to begin with.

Where the hell does this misconception come from? I ask that every time, because it's completely made up and not rooted anywhere near reality.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Nothing is healthier than water.
    If you drink nothing you will get terribly dehydrated.