Irish guy in the Philippines - Looking to get leaner

Options
Hi all. I'm a 31 year old Irish guy living and working in the Philippines. I'm looking to lose a bit of weight, get leaner, fitter and healthier. My stats are 5'7" and 156 lbs. I work night shift (6pm-3am) which makes it more difficult (but not impossible) to stick to a balanced diet or keep a consistent gym routine. Also, the food available in Philippines is generally quite high in sugar and fat content. I'm looking to connect with people with similar circumstances to above. Please send me a friend request!

Replies

• couturebody
    couturebody Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I lived in Japan for 4 months during the summer and I found myself in a similar situation. I worked 10 till 6, but I commuted 3 hours a day, so I spent a majority of my day out. Most of the time, I ate out which wasn't the healthiest thing to do, and on my days off I often ate bentos from the supermarket. Food in Japan isn't that unhealthy but a lot of what I was eating was fried. Do you meal prep? If you prepare all your food yourself, you can limit the amount of sugar and fat that goes into your meals. This is what I ended up doing towards the end of my stay and I honestly wish I'd done it sooner. Plus, if you're working late, you wont be tempted by the food available at that time (which i assume if fast food)
  • richardpkennedy1
    richardpkennedy1 Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    I lived in Japan for 4 months during the summer and I found myself in a similar situation. I worked 10 till 6, but I commuted 3 hours a day, so I spent a majority of my day out. Most of the time, I ate out which wasn't the healthiest thing to do, and on my days off I often ate bentos from the supermarket. Food in Japan isn't that unhealthy but a lot of what I was eating was fried. Do you meal prep? If you prepare all your food yourself, you can limit the amount of sugar and fat that goes into your meals. This is what I ended up doing towards the end of my stay and I honestly wish I'd done it sooner. Plus, if you're working late, you wont be tempted by the food available at that time (which i assume if fast food)

Thanks for the advice man. Yes, the only options at 3am are fast food. Meal prep seems to be the way to go. What time of day did you hit the gym?
  • couturebody
    couturebody Posts: 71 Member
    Options

Thanks for the advice man. Yes, the only options at 3am are fast food. Meal prep seems to be the way to go. What time of day did you hit the gym?

I didn't really go to the gym whilst there. Where I was staying was pretty far from any good quality gym. Instead I took to jogging. I'm from the UK so i enjoyed jogging a lot more in Japan than I would in the UK haha. There's no real time limit to it either, as long as your area is safe to go jogging at night.
  • Fitnessfreak80
    Fitnessfreak80 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Irish guy in Canada here. No problem with the gym, but he food is getting the better of me haha. I need to get more accountable and make big changes.
  • richardpkennedy1
    Options
    Lost 4lbs so far. My calories are between 1300 on days with no exercise to 2100 on days with exercise. My biggest problem is getting enough protein while not overdoing carbs and fat. Is whey protein the only way to go?
  • richardpkennedy1
    Options
    Hi all. Down to 146 lbs. I've shaved over 1 minute from my 2k run time and an inch from my waist.
  • richardpkennedy1
    Options
    Hi all. Down to 144. My aim is to lean down to 140 and then bulk up.
  • happydance1978
    happydance1978 Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    Irish guy in Canada here. No problem with the gym, but he food is getting the better of me haha. I need to get more accountable and make big changes.

Keep Going...the switch will flip but exercise helps find the balance...you almost get stoked when you see results and think ugh I don't want to put that into my body!
  • johnnyb620
    johnnyb620 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    In terms of weight loss, I think you are on track. The main thing to focus on is calories and energy balance. Are you putting yourself in a caloric deficite? And are you getting enough sleep? The next thing to focus on is your training. Are you training in a way that makes your body adapt. The term metabolic adaptation comes to mind. Once this is established, you can focus on supplements, specific foods...etc. I also would like to mention, consistency and time is another important factor. Be patient, as long as you stay consistent, the time and effort you put into your body will definitely pay off.
  • johnnyb620
    johnnyb620 Posts: 19 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I also work night shift 5pm-630am. People have a way of making room for things that are most important to them, even if it may be difficult at times. I've been on this marathon for 5 years now, and yet I still haven't reached my goal.
  • jeandinco
    jeandinco Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I am from Manila. I think you are just looking at the wrong aisle of the grocery stores. There may be lots of high sugar, high saturated fat Filipino cuisine, but there are also healthy ones! I like Fresh Lumpia which is a vegan meal.
  • jeandinco
    jeandinco Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    One more thing, cook your own food. Avoid eating out as all the restaurants here worship MSG. We don't want that. ;)
  • richardpkennedy1
    Options
    johnnyb620 wrote: »
    I also work night shift 5pm-630am. People have a way of making room for things that are most important to them, even if it may be difficult at times. I've been on this marathon for 5 years now, and yet I still haven't reached my goal.

Thanks for the advice man. You have a lonnnnng shift! Is that even legal?
  • richardpkennedy1
    Options
    jeandinco wrote: »
    I am from Manila. I think you are just looking at the wrong aisle of the grocery stores. There may be lots of high sugar, high saturated fat Filipino cuisine, but there are also healthy ones! I like Fresh Lumpia which is a vegan meal.

Love fresh lumpia in Max's. I skip the sauce though! Any recommendations on what to avoid?
  • andreshernandez773124
    Options
    I have been living in Singapore for 3 months and I have gained about 5 kilos. Asian food is amazing but as you said, a lot of sugar, carbs and unhealthy fat. I can't find the balance. Cooking sometimes is a pain! Besides the kitchen has no aircon (you might think this is stupid) but believe me: 35 degrees with humidity of 65% makes the kitchen hell! So I end up in food courts eating what I shouldn't. Somebody knows what food choices are healthy in hawker centres? Btw, add me, looking for friends and some support
  • richardpkennedy1
    Options
    I have been living in Singapore for 3 months and I have gained about 5 kilos. Asian food is amazing but as you said, a lot of sugar, carbs and unhealthy fat. I can't find the balance. Cooking sometimes is a pain! Besides the kitchen has no aircon (you might think this is stupid) but believe me: 35 degrees with humidity of 65% makes the kitchen hell! So I end up in food courts eating what I shouldn't. Somebody knows what food choices are healthy in hawker centres? Btw, add me, looking for friends and some support

Thanks for commenting! I have aircon but my kitchen doesn't have an oven. Ovens are not common here. Everything I cook has to fried or boiled. The good thing is that I can get cooked chicken and rice for equivalent of 2 euro.
  • richardpkennedy1
    Options
    Any new Philippines members?
  • mishelperez
    mishelperez Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Im from philippines and im new here. Just sign up last aug10. Hopefully this will help me monitor my food intake.
    Having a problem with pacer pedometer that connected with this app not accurate.
  • richardpkennedy1
    Options
    Bump. Anyone in the Philippines?