Camping

Options
We enjoy camping and plan on going a lot this summer. We go with my in laws (whom I love!), but we usually end up eating pretty icky all weekend. My FIL, husband, and I are all trying to lose weight and change our future. Does anyone have any meals that are full of flavor and healthy to cook while camping?

Replies

• grimm1974
    grimm1974 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I have 2 boys in scouts, and do quite a bit of camping. You really cannot beat a campfire chicken. A quick google will give you a ton of different variants. Here is a recipe just to give you an idea. You can be really versatile with it:

http://camping.about.com/od/recipes/r/ucrec345.htm

Just add in some of your favorite veggies.
  • beaky1980
    beaky1980 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Fire roasted peppers/mushrooms. Make kabobs with chicken or beef. Pre-make hamburgers in desired portion sizes. Preparation is key. Lots of raw veggies to snack on. Fruit. Nuts. Endless possibilities.
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I eat pretty icky stuff too when I go camping.
  • S0nsh1ne
    S0nsh1ne Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    We have breakfast burritos. You can get high fiber whole grains burritos for 70-100 calories each. Use the scrambled sausage if you like, eggs, 2% cheese, pica de gallo. It's good and will hold you over.
    Spaghetti is of course easy for camping if you brown your meat at home. I use DreamFields pasta.
    Fish, fish and more fish. Cooks easy over the flames and you can pair with fresh fruits and veggies.
    Have fun!

*Not to hijack the post but my son is AOL and crossing over in Feb; how about your boys?*

I have 2 boys in scouts, and do quite a bit of camping. You really cannot beat a campfire chicken. A quick google will give you a ton of different variants. Here is a recipe just to give you an idea. You can be really versatile with it:

http://camping.about.com/od/recipes/r/ucrec345.htm

Just add in some of your favorite veggies.
  • grimm1974
    grimm1974 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    We have breakfast burritos. You can get high fiber whole grains burritos for 70-100 calories each. Use the scrambled sausage if you like, eggs, 2% cheese, pica de gallo. It's good and will hold you over.
    Spaghetti is of course easy for camping if you brown your meat at home. I use DreamFields pasta.
    Fish, fish and more fish. Cooks easy over the flames and you can pair with fresh fruits and veggies.
    Have fun!

*Not to hijack the post but my son is AOL and crossing over in Feb; how about your boys?*

Both of my boys earned AOL. The oldest is currently working toward Eagle scout.
  • Bean5
    Bean5 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Corn on the cob! Shucked, a little butter sliced thin, salt and pepper, wrap in aluminum foil. I put the wrapped cobs in a gallon bag and toss them in the cooler. Grill them 10 mins, and they're ready!
  • moondawg14
    moondawg14 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Corn on the cob! Shucked, a little butter sliced thin, salt and pepper, wrap in aluminum foil. I put the wrapped cobs in a gallon bag and toss them in the cooler. Grill them 10 mins, and they're ready!

you can also leave the aluminum at home. Soak them in the shucks for a little while, then throw them on the grill/fire. Dig them out of the coals in 10 minutes or so... peel back the shuck to use as a handle, and eat.

I enjoy tool-free cooking over a fire... but I do mainly backpack camping, so I'm not lugging all those pots/pans along!