Lost weight but can't lower bf%

Options
se015
se015 Posts: 583 Member
Hey guys so I've cut down my calories to a deficit, the mfp recommendation setting and go strict by that. I HAVE lost weight steadily but my bf % has stayed the same and even sometimes is higher?? I'm using one of those hand held devices where you hold it straight out. Anyone have a clue as to what I'm doing wrong?? The whole reason I'm losing weight is to lower my bf %

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Don't use those devices, notoriously useless. DEXA, bod pod or callipers. (Still not perfect but way better than electro impedance estimators.)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    What you're doing wrong is expecting an inaccurate tool to give you accurate results. The body fat machine you are using is not known for accurate results. Get a DEXA scan if you want an accurate bf% or go by measuring tape measurements or the mirror.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Opinion: Your cholesterol numbers might be a better look into your health than body fat.
    With insurance you get a free check up once a year. No charge. Not even a deductible.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    If you are serious about lowering your bf%, then you need to do a diet aimed at that, and get your body fat measured using the tank method or a pod, something accurate. I used to go every 12 weeks. You should be able to find a place near you. Colleges sometimes have the pod.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,114 Member
    Options
    Before and after pictures would give you a better picture of body fat changes than those stupid hand held devices. They are less than worthless.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Don't use those devices, notoriously useless. DEXA, bod pod or callipers. (Still not perfect but way better than electro impedance estimators.)

THIS ^^^

I think DXA DEXA is the best, it will tell you what % body fat for the main sections of your body, and your bone density which is important for some of us who are older.
  • AlphaCajun
    AlphaCajun Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    BIA is NOT useless. It isn't very accurate to give you an exact bf% but if you're using it under the same conditions over a period of time it WILL show you a trend that is quite useful to determine if your body fat is rising or dropping. All of the body fat measuring devices are inaccurate and unless you go get them all done and average the results AND compare photos of yourself to others who have had it done, in which case the result is STILL a close guess.. but it's cheaper to track a trend with a BIA device than it is to go climb in a bod pod or get a DEXA scan every week. That said, if you have access to the others by all means use one of them but don't toss the handheld, it has its uses..
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    AlphaCajun wrote: »
    BIA is NOT useless. It isn't very accurate to give you an exact bf% but if you're using it under the same conditions over a period of time it WILL show you a trend that is quite useful to determine if your body fat is rising or dropping. All of the body fat measuring devices are inaccurate and unless you go get them all done and average the results AND compare photos of yourself to others who have had it done, in which case the result is STILL a close guess.. but it's cheaper to track a trend with a BIA device than it is to go climb in a bod pod or get a DEXA scan every week. That said, if you have access to the others by all means use one of them but don't toss the handheld, it has its uses..

Exactly, all of you are correct in "accuracy" but what most fail to realize is that if you are consistent with the circumstances in which you measure something then you can watch for the trend, hence my post. Although I haven't been consistent as far as what day or time of day I check my bf%, it's been somewhat random so maybe I need to do it on a more consistent method. I still am shocked to see that my weight dropped and bf increased, I mean does that mean I'm losing muscle and keeping fat, is that even possible??
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Seth1825 wrote: »
    AlphaCajun wrote: »

Exactly, all of you are correct in "accuracy" but what most fail to realize is that if you are consistent with the circumstances in which you measure something then you can watch for the trend, hence my post. Although I haven't been consistent as far as what day or time of day I check my bf%, it's been somewhat random so maybe I need to do it on a more consistent method. I still am shocked to see that my weight dropped and bf increased, I mean does that mean I'm losing muscle and keeping fat, is that even possible??

It is flat out illogical to state that BIA devices are only useful when used under consistent conditions, admit that you are not using one under consistent conditions, and then say you're shocked by the readings you're getting.

"I know I can only lose weight eating in a calorie deficit. I only eat in a calorie deficit on random days. I'm shocked to find the scale showing I haven't lost weight!"