Eating older eggs?

Options
MaryJane_8810002
MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
edited March 2016 in Food and Nutrition
Hello all I have a question. I bought some eggs in January and they have been sitting thwre in my fridge untouched. I was wondering if its a terrible thing to eat older eggs that have been sitting in the fridge for a couple of months? There is no expiration date on the packages and I feel bad throwing away 15 eggs that a hungry family could have used.

Replies

• Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    http://www.foodsafety.gov/keep/charts/eggstorage.html
    I looked it up because I am curious too. It says for raw eggs in shells 3-5 weeks. My best bet is to get a bulls-eye and have at it. Clean soon after though! Put the targets in your garden and then you don't have to pick up the shells...just let them go into the soil.
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    You can test them in a bowl of cold water. If it sinks it's good. If it floats vertically it's good but not for much longer if it floats horizontally on top of water it's bad, pitch it.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Hello all I have a question. I bought some eggs in January and they have been sitting thwre in my fridge untouched. I was wondering if its a terrible thing to eat older eggs that have been sitting in the fridge for a couple of months? There is no expiration date on the packages and I feel bad throwing away 15 eggs that a hungry family could have used.

Sitting in the fridge they are probably ok. There are ways to test if an egg is still good and the link in the 1st response has all the info.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Ask yourself if you're feeling lucky.
  • cryptobrit
    cryptobrit Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    My mother used to keep eggs for weeks and never came to any harm. We are conditioned nowadays to go by 'use by dates' so we get paranoid. I would go by your eyes and nose, and like others have said, the float test.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    If you have a hungry family why have the eggs been in your fridge since January?

ahb3oj8odzw0.jpg