Low Carb Ideas for a newly diagnosed Type 2 diabetic

Hi all,

Any suggestions for a newly diagnosed Type 2 diabetic? I have three months to use diet and exercise to lower my blood glucose levels so the doc won't put me on Metformin. I plan to amp up my walking, and that's do-able. I need ideas for replacing carbs. Websites for low-carb cooking, too.

Thanks in advance.

Deb in Minnesota <><

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Increase your fats when you decrease carbs and sugars.
    http://www.shape.com/weight-loss/tips-plans/truth-about-low-carb-high-fat-diet
    Breakfast: 2 cups fresh spinach sautéed in 2 tbsp olive oil, served with one egg and 1/2 cup mixed berries
    Snack: 1/4 cup mixed, dry roasted nuts

Lunch: 2 cups romaine lettuce with oil and vinegar dressing (2 tbsp each olive oil and balsamic) and 3 oz grilled chicken breast (Or switch out the dressing for one of these 8 Healthy Fats to Add to Your Salad.)

Post-Workout: A smoothie made with one scoop whey protein powder (Bede recommends EAS 100%), 1 cup water (to taste), 1/2 cup mixed berries, 1/2 cup chopped kale, and crushed ice.

Dinner: 3 oz of a high-fat fish like salmon, brushed with 2 tbsp olive oil and grilled. Side of 1 cup steamed vegetables tossed with 1 tbsp butter.

• jmarie1025
    jmarie1025 Posts: 114 Member
    I recommend joining the low carb group. https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

No rice, pasta, potatoes, bread. Cauliflower is a good swap for potatoes.
    Stick with meat, above ground veggies have lower carbs than root veggies and some dairy. Watch out for sauces. No fruit except occasional berries and limit nuts.
    Sorry, I'm just waking up. I'll get back to you with some good websites.
  • myfitnesspale3
    myfitnesspale3 Posts: 276 Member
    Mashed cauliflower with garlic and butter - great suggestion. Not much traffic in the low-carb group.

add nuts, sardines, EGGS, peanut butter, cheese, pork rinds, BUTTER, meats, fish, protein powder, flax muffin-in-a-mug, BUTTER. Don't hold back on protein and fats, and hunger will reduce.

I found the most effective thing was to cut all the carbs. I am "pre-diabetic" with diabetes in my family. So during the ultralow-carb phase: no fruit, milk, cereal, bread, rice, sugar, pasta, cookies, potatoes, excuses. Made it REAL simple. Test FBG every day - it's easy.

It helps motivation to assume that blindness and dementia are the alternative. Are you ready for that? Low-carbing seems easy compared to that.

Good luck Deb.
  • Hovercat
    Hovercat Posts: 43 Member
    Pinterest helped me a lot! Just search for low carb or keto *insert food here*.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    The Low Carber Daily group linked above will be helpful.

I found Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution to be a huge help. It's all about geting normal blood glucose levels. Normal, and not the "normal for a diabetic" which is still higher than normal.

Keto Clarity is a good book if you want to go really low carb to get your blood glucose under control fast.

Otherwise, as a PP said, avoid foods with added sugars, avoid grains (wheat, rice, corn, oatmeal, etc) and limit starchy root vegetables and fruits. I eat very low carb high fat and eat meats, eggs, full fat dairy (cheese, butter, whipping cream, 14% sour cream, etc), coconut (oil, cream, and flakes), nuts, olives, avocado, and veggies.