Slim Fast 3, 2, 1 program <ADVICE>

Options
2»

Replies

• murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I like SlimFast and Atkins shakes if I'm hungry in the morning and I just need to grab something. I generally not a breakfast eater and so I just keep a few around for those occasional days that I need something when I'm running out the door. I've never tried the meal plan or any 14 day challenge, I can't imagine swapping out my lunch for a SlimFast. I just like real food too much. Also, part of my goal is to learn healthy portion control for life. I don't think shakes help achieve that goal.
  • tryin2die2self
    tryin2die2self Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with a meal supplement (shake, frozen entree, whatever). However, a meal supplement does not teach you what you need to know once you get to your goal. You stop using them, gain back the weight and then go to using them again. From a sales perspective it is great, a near limitless supply of returning customers. From a marketing standpoint it is great, people lose weight using the product and are happy with it. From a user's perspective it is great, it does exactly what they say it will do for the money spent. From your body's perspective it is terrible, as your weight yo-yos up and down. The person is also trapped in the sales loop, unless the break the cycle of use and learn exactly how CICO works for them.

I use a fortified protein shake as a meal replacement during the week. It does exactly what I want it to do, so I can count macros/calories and stick to my guns. Heck, I made one this morning: half the usual protein supplement, quarter cup of oatmeal, a banana and a cup of almond milk. That said, I am making breakfast tacos tomorrow morning. Yesterday it was just fatty coffee. When I am not working, I don't use the shakes. I make something at home to replace it, normally a huge salad. My point is the shake is a tool, but it is not the only tool at my disposal. I am not stuck using the shake once or twice a day to make my goals happen.

Use the meal replacements but don't stop there. Learn about what you need to do to eat healthy and still reach your goals. Good luck.
  • kimbelle_vie
    kimbelle_vie Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I decided not to do slim fast. I instead came up with my own plan. This is just a example, not written in stone meal plan. For dinner, I eat whatever my family is having. I do not track calories, nor do I workout x amount of times per week. I just want to start eating healthier and better than I was. I figure the weight will follow and I am not really rushing it.

Meal 1: smoothie

Meal 2: apple slices w/ peanut butter

Meal 3: Granola bar & cheese block

Meal 4: grapes

Meal 5: supper

Meal 6: ice cream sandwich

**eat every 2-3hrs, mix and match as desired. 1 cheat meal a week.
  • tryin2die2self
    Options
    Portion control can be an effective tool, but ignoring the calorie cost is just gambling for success. Weight Watchers tried to do this back in the 90s, saying fruits and veggies were "free". However, a 1000 calories of fruit and veggie is still a 1000 calories. People did not lose weight. A lot of people gained weight. After about six months WW retracted the fruits but veggies we still free. Same problem existed. In their effort to get people to eat wholesome food (200 cal of fruits/veggies instead of 200 cal of chips/soda) they missed the mark. 200 cal of veggies is going to fill you up WAY more than 200 cal of processed foods, but people love processed foods. As long as people only focus on calories and nothing else, healthy eating will never become a way of life. After all, if my calorie goal was 1200 cal a day and I ate it all in sugar I would still lose weight. The long term nutritional cost however would be at my own peril.

Find out your basic metabolic rate. Then calculate the cost of what you eat day to day for a week or so. If you are really not doing anything different and the calorie load is not at a deficit, then you are not going to lose weight. You may actually gain. Eating "healthy" can cause weight gain, which leads you to an unhealthy place.

Good luck to you.
  • kimbelle_vie
    Options
    Portion control can be an effective tool, but ignoring the calorie cost is just gambling for success. Weight Watchers tried to do this back in the 90s, saying fruits and veggies were "free". However, a 1000 calories of fruit and veggie is still a 1000 calories. People did not lose weight. A lot of people gained weight. After about six months WW retracted the fruits but veggies we still free. Same problem existed. In their effort to get people to eat wholesome food (200 cal of fruits/veggies instead of 200 cal of chips/soda) they missed the mark. 200 cal of veggies is going to fill you up WAY more than 200 cal of processed foods, but people love processed foods. As long as people only focus on calories and nothing else, healthy eating will never become a way of life. After all, if my calorie goal was 1200 cal a day and I ate it all in sugar I would still lose weight. The long term nutritional cost however would be at my own peril.

Find out your basic metabolic rate. Then calculate the cost of what you eat day to day for a week or so. If you are really not doing anything different and the calorie load is not at a deficit, then you are not going to lose weight. You may actually gain. Eating "healthy" can cause weight gain, which leads you to an unhealthy place.

Good luck to you.

I lost weight successfully by not counting calories. That is the only way I plan to lose again this time. I find it workd best to follow serving sizes, listening to your body and just being mindful of what is going in your mouth. For example, if I am craving chips I am not going to just grab a big bag and sit down on the couch and start eating, no I am going to look on the back and see the serving soze and eat just that amount.
  • GYATagain
    GYATagain Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    No disrespect meant -- but, what are you doing on MFP? It is a Calorie counting app, right? I know it is extremely bothersome to get into the habit of weighing, measuring, and entering your foods - but, it really works! Of course, one can lose the weight by restricting their intake of calories, listening to your body and not over indulging. Again, no disrespect here, but isn't that how "we" (for real, me) got into this pretty mess in the first place? I can control how much I eat - listen to my body - eat whatever I crave and BAM I'm morbidly obese. I do wish you the very best of luck in finding your healthy way. Maybe for 1 week give MFP a real try and see how you feel about it. Good luck!
  • kimbelle_vie
    Options
    GYATagain wrote: »
    No disrespect meant -- but, what are you doing on MFP? It is a Calorie counting app, right? I know it is extremely bothersome to get into the habit of weighing, measuring, and entering your foods - but, it really works! Of course, one can lose the weight by restricting their intake of calories, listening to your body and not over indulging. Again, no disrespect here, but isn't that how "we" (for real, me) got into this pretty mess in the first place? I can control how much I eat - listen to my body - eat whatever I crave and BAM I'm morbidly obese. I do wish you the very best of luck in finding your healthy way. Maybe for 1 week give MFP a real try and see how you feel about it. Good luck!

No disrespect taken. I am no stranger to mfp, I have logged everday before, but I personally did not like the idea of always having to log. So I created my own way and it worked! I like the community aspect of mfp. Also I'll occasionally use mfp to plan a cheat meal/day just to be aware.
  • GYATagain
    GYATagain Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Ahhhh, I commend you on your progress! And yes, I find the community aspect uplifting, encouraging, smack to my head, and sometimes frustrating.... but, oh the whole, enjoyable. Therefore, carry on! (as if you needed my permission) ;)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options

Of course - to be able to stick to your calorie goal over time, you need to get in proper nutrition. I tried to do a plan that encouraged consumption of fruit and vegetables and "healthy fats" and whatnot, but it was too rigid and very arbitrary, and I rebelled. I think these efforts often backfire. People want to decide for themselves what to eat. MFP let think for myself, and taught me how and what to eat - not just to read labels. This is what I love about MFP.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    If it worked, (and maybe you said this already) why do you have to lose weight again? I would think it must not have worked that well then?
    I suppose your plan could work if you are mindful of portion sizes. It seemed possibly low on veggies? They are a great way to increase the volume of what you eat without all the calories things like granola or ice cream sandwiches have.
  • tryin2die2self
    Options
    Of course - to be able to stick to your calorie goal over time, you need to get in proper nutrition. I tried to do a plan that encouraged consumption of fruit and vegetables and "healthy fats" and whatnot, but it was too rigid and very arbitrary, and I rebelled. I think these efforts often backfire. People want to decide for themselves what to eat. MFP let think for myself, and taught me how and what to eat - not just to read labels. This is what I love about MFP.

Implementing education is the tool that makes MFP such a great product. Like any other information or tool though, if you don't use it correctly you are not going to get the desired results. Like pounding in a nail with a screwdriver. I think the rebellion you speak of @kommodevaran is what gets us in trouble with the scale to begin with ;)

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

Implementing education is the tool that makes MFP such a great product. Like any other information or tool though, if you don't use it correctly you are not going to get the desired results. Like pounding in a nail with a screwdriver. I think the rebellion you speak of @kommodevaran is what gets us in trouble with the scale to begin with ;)

Yes. My way of protesting against "good advice" was by stuffing myself with chips, candy and ice cream. I never felt liberated, though :#
  • kimbelle_vie
    Options
    htimpaired wrote: »
    If it worked, (and maybe you said this already) why do you have to lose weight again? I would think it must not have worked that well then?
    I suppose your plan could work if you are mindful of portion sizes. It seemed possibly low on veggies? They are a great way to increase the volume of what you eat without all the calories things like granola or ice cream sandwiches have.

I figured someone would ask this, I gained weight out my frustration. I wasn't losing weight anymore, but wasn't gaining (plateau). So I figured I could just eat what I wanted and I would stay the same weight. And I did for a while, but slowly the weight crept back on. It wasn't my weight loss plan, but my own doing
  • Quinn_Baker
    Quinn_Baker Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend it. I don't think it'll jump start anything except for cravings when you're done.
  • mndimichele
    mndimichele Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing the 321 plan with Slim Fast. It has been working pretty well for me. I have been doing it for 61/2 weeks now. Taking weekends off to restart my metabolism and I have already lost 14 lbs. I do a shake at breakfast. I work night shift, so my husband and I have a good meal together around 500-600 calories at lunch time. Then for dinner I have a meal bar. In between all that I eat fruit/nuts/veggies and sometimes treat myself to the Slim Fast Snacks. The real key is drinking a lot of water through out the day. Hope this helps.
  • charelaine
    charelaine Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Personally I like slim fast. I buy the chocolate original formula. I mix one scoop, one cup milk, and a frozen banana in a blender. It makes a large, satisfying shake. It was my breakfast daily for a long while after I lost weight last time and while I was maintaining. I just recently started this again. I drank two shakes today but normally just have one, and because I like it, not trying to follow the plan. It gives me my chocolate fix.