BCAA waste of money?

Options
NA1979
NA1979 Posts: 223 Member
I've noticed a lot of people using BCAA on here,however all scientific evidence and various experts either say they are useless or not enough evidence of their effectiveness,the only people who say they work are the supp companies, am I missing out?

Replies

• Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Not sure where you got your "Scientific evidence", but actually the evidence says the opposite is true. BCAA's are the most important component of any good Protein powder you buy. It's most critical to supply it right before and after a heavy workout.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Just eat adequate protein based on your stats and you'll be fine. They're absolutely not necessary. Some people enjoy them while training fasted, but their significance on and effect on muscle mass is minimal if anything if you're eating enough protein in your diet(:
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    they are not necessary.

But as a vegetarian who is lactose intolerant you can imagine i have a hard time getting enough protein in my diet AND i miss out on some of the essential aminos. BCAAs are critical for me and my training.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I only use them when cutting and on lower calories intra workout.
  • chelsea7162
    chelsea7162 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    they are not necessary.

But as a vegetarian who is lactose intolerant you can imagine i have a hard time getting enough protein in my diet AND i miss out on some of the essential aminos. BCAAs are critical for me and my training.

I'm a vegan and I'm getting enough protein on my diet. 1.5g per kg is my ratio and I find I'm gaining muscle just fine. Try a vegan protein powder like Vega or Orgain, they're pretty tasty mixed in with some unsweetened soy milk and a banana. If you eat eggs you can make an egg white omelette in the morning, that's good protein. Meat replacements are good if they interest you. BCAAs are not necessary if you look for plant proteins
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    they are not necessary.

I'm a vegan and I'm getting enough protein on my diet. 1.5g per kg is my ratio and I find I'm gaining muscle just fine. Try a vegan protein powder like Vega or Orgain, they're pretty tasty mixed in with some unsweetened soy milk and a banana. If you eat eggs you can make an egg white omelette in the morning, that's good protein. Meat replacements are good if they interest you. BCAAs are not necessary if you look for plant proteins

sadly, i'm not in the US so the option of special protein powders, many plant milks, tofu, seitan, faux meats, and other vegan products aren't available.

I do use eggs and do eat high protein plant foods. But still i get around 70~grams per day.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    I've been advised that Branch Chain Amino Acids ARE actually beneficial if you are doing intermittent fasting...the science of it I'm not sure of as I don't use that method, but have heard it from a doctor....