Can any one tell me if I'm over training?

Options
NA1979
NA1979 Posts: 223 Member
So back in August 2015 I ramped up my training from 2 days a week to 4 on average (going consistently since January 2015), my training comprises of moderate to heavy compound excerices (bench,deadlift squat etc, with a about 15 minutes HIIT treadmill in the end, in early March I've started to track my calories and it's approx 2000, overall Ive been making consistent progress and about 1 stone away from my ideal weight, however would yiu say I've over trained?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,540 Member
    Options
    Hardly. I train 5-6 days a week along with cardio for at least 30 minutes.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • NA1979
    Options
    Hi ninerbuff, as a professional would you say additional cardio would mean loss muscle for me, being in a deficit? Or would you say I could add more?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason you think you may have over trained?
  • NA1979
    Options

I don't think there is a physical reason, so maybe I'm not, I suppose I'm trying to do as much as I can without on a calorie deficit without losing much muscle or injuring myself.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    True 'overtraining' tends to result after only very prolonged and very excessive training in athletes who haven't followed a suitable plan that includes step-back weeks. There's indicators such as increased resting heart rate, fatigue, trouble sleeping, poor performance, increased injuries, irritability etc. Based on the regime you describe above its highly unlikely you're suffering from this, three rest days a week should be ample for your body to recouperate but if you need piece of mind then just back off the weights and change to a steady state run rather than HIIT for just a week and then get back to your normal routine the week after. Good luck.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    For most people, I don't think that would be considered overtraining.
  • NA1979
    Options
    Thank you guys, excellent advice!
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    NA1979 wrote: »

I don't think there is a physical reason, so maybe I'm not, I suppose I'm trying to do as much as I can without on a calorie deficit without losing much muscle or injuring myself.

How big a calorie deficit are you running?
  • NA1979
    edited March 2016
    Options
    500-700 approx, I don't count my excerices calories either so it is more on workout days
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    No that's not an excessive program. I'm far older than you and trained with a much higher volume while I was losing weight including long distance cycling.
    If you aren't fatigued, failing to progress, struggling to recover then you are fine.

"In a deficit" is very vague - there's one hell of difference between a small deficit and a large and prolonged deficit both in terms of risk of muscle loss but also the ability to sustain an exercise program.

Why do you think adding "more cardio" would lead to muscle loss? Are you not making allowance for exercise calories?
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    500-700 approx, I don't count my excerices calories either so it is more on workout days

And how much weight do you have to lose?
  • NA1979
    Options
    Prob just half stone now, but I mainly stick to the same calories excerices or not, in relation to losing muscle doing cardio, I read that doing too much will eat in to your muscles, but then again there is a lot of Bro science on the t'internet
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Prob just half stone now, but I mainly stick to the same calories excerices or not, in relation to losing muscle doing cardio, I read that doing too much will eat in to your muscles, but then again there is a lot of Bro science on the t'internet

You don't need such a large deficit with only 7 lbs to go.
  • NA1979
    Options
    Ok, it is literally 7lbs, maybe I'm just trying to get there quicker, I very much appreciate everyone's help on this,thank you, I think I have some idea as to what I need to do now.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Re. the bold comment - yup. If it were true the people that trained the most would be the weakest/slowest and races would be won by people who did the least training. Hmmmm

An excessive deficit, inadequate nutrition or inactivity will cause muscle loss - not exercise.
    I did my first 100 mile cycle ride (and all the training required beforehand) while in my weight loss phase. I fuelled it properly and had no issues with muscle loss.

With just 7lbs to go agree with the comment above about reducing your deficit/increasing your calorie intake, the leaner you are the more likely a big deficit will cause problems. Also makes the transition to maintenance much easier.
    If you do add more exercise you really do need to take that into account - just as you will have to do if you want to maintain when you get to goal.

• NA1979
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

Re. the bold comment - yup. If it were true the people that trained the most would be the weakest/slowest and races would be won by people who did the least training. Hmmmm

An excessive deficit, inadequate nutrition or inactivity will cause muscle loss - not exercise.
    I did my first 100 mile cycle ride (and all the training required beforehand) while in my weight loss phase. I fuelled it properly and had no issues with muscle loss.

With just 7lbs to go agree with the comment above about reducing your deficit/increasing your calorie intake, the leaner you are the more likely a big deficit will cause problems. Also makes the transition to maintenance much easier.
    If you do add more exercise you really do need to take that into account - just as you will have to do if you want to maintain when you get to goal.

Thank you for that!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    in relation to losing muscle doing cardio, I read that doing too much will eat in to your muscles,

Fifteen minutes of treadmill intervals is barely a warm up.

As above, as long as you're not in excessive deficit you've got nothing to worry about.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,540 Member
    Options
    Hi ninerbuff, as a professional would you say additional cardio would mean loss muscle for me, being in a deficit? Or would you say I could add more?
    Muscle loss happens for only a couple of reasons: lack of enough protein and an excessive calorie deficit (meaning you're netting less than 800-1000 calories a day for a male).

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png