Making Gains?

Options
This is my 2nd week into MLP. I am currently 276.6 lbs, losing .6 lbs this week. I've been following my calorie goal (2320 to lose 2lbs per week) with a deficit of about 500 calories (with exercise) to leave extra room incase I underestimate my servings. I've been getting a good amount of protein, carbs and fats overall and have been doing some weight training on the machines at Planet Fitness (bench presses always occupied).

So now that I got that out of the way, do you think that the 1.4lbs may have been water weight or muscle gain? I'm going to get one of the handheld BF% Analyzers (Omron) soon but I was just curious.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Fluctuations
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Agreed about fluctuations. Save your money by not buying a handheld BF% analyzer, as they are not accurate. Also, gaining muscle in a deficit is improbable.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    synacious wrote: »
    Agreed about fluctuations. Save your money by not buying a handheld BF% analyzer, as they are not accurate. Also, gaining muscle in a deficit is improbable.

Though op looks young so might be able to make some newbie gains
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options

Agreed; that's why I said improbable and not impossible. It's possible but under very specific conditions. However, 1.4 pounds of muscle in two weeks probably didn't happen.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Agreed; that's why I said improbable and not impossible. It's possible but under very specific conditions. However, 1.4 pounds of muscle in two weeks probably didn't happen.

Nope!
  • BushDid7Eleven
    BushDid7Eleven Posts: 13 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Of course there's fluctuations. I was simply asking if I could possibly be increasing muscle. And how am I supposed to know my BF% then? I aint getting a hydrostatic test done, I'm assuming that's expensive. Even if it weren't, I still don't have the money regardless.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Of course there's fluctuations. I was simply asking if I could possibly be increasing muscle. And how am I supposed to know my BF% then? I aint getting a hydrostatic test done, I'm assuming that's expensive. Even if it weren't, I still don't have the money regardless.

Take pictures, post them on the eat, train, progress forum.

Does it matter what the actual number is if you're losing weight and losing body fat?
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    There's a picture somewhere of various different people with different body fat levels you can compare yourself against. Sure someone has it somewhere.