I dont get it....

I've lost 36 lbs so far and two days ago my husband took me out for dinner as a date night. I splurged knowing I would see a higher number on the scale. I only gained 2 pounds from it when I weighed yesterday morning. I ate well all day yesterday. Under my cal goal. But when I weighed this morning I gained another 1.5 lbs?!? I don't get why I went up more if I did everything right yesterday??

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,179 Member
    I'll posit that you had a dinner 36 hours ago which was not fully digested when you weighed 24 hours ago. As the remainder of your dinner was finally digested, the rest of the sodium from the food was incorporated into your body and you've now seen all the water gain you're going to have from the date night.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Weight fluctuates, just get back to a deficit, drink plenty of water, you'll be fine
  • deziray92
    deziray92 Posts: 64 Member
    I drink so much water yesterday felt like I was going to drown. I figured I'd at least stay the same weight. Guess I was just expecting a different outcome. Can't help feeling a bit disappointed today.
  • xnearlytherebx
    xnearlytherebx Posts: 50 Member
    If you continue to eat as normal you'll be back to your usual weight in no time!
  • deziray92
    I hope so! Thanks everyone!
  • RosemaryBronte
    RosemaryBronte Posts: 103 Member
    Also it's not a good thing to drink too much water. Drink a comfortable amount. You can literally drown your organs and die. I'm trying to be kind to my body as well as healthy.
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Stop weighing yourself everyday, especially don't weigh yourself after a big meal you know is going to increase weight. I don't get why you'd do that to yourself if the 'wrong' number is going to disappoint you? Give yourself a few days at least. I think you'd be surprised how much your body changes weight throughout the course of your daily routine. If you were constantly checking on it you'd probably have some sort of mental breakdown.
  • leahkathleen13
    leahkathleen13 Posts: 272 Member
    Just wait it out! Restaurant food is salty, you were Weighing water.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    If daily weight fluctuations bother you, maybe you should consider weighing less often. Weight is going to vary in the day to day, it's the overall trend that you should be concerned with.
  • deziray92
    True. Maybe I'll put the scale away for a week or so lol
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    edited March 2016
    Scamd83 wrote: »
    Stop weighing yourself everyday, especially don't weigh yourself after a big meal you know is going to increase weight. I don't get why you'd do that to yourself if the 'wrong' number is going to disappoint you? Give yourself a few days at least. I think you'd be surprised how much your body changes weight throughout the course of your daily routine. If you were constantly checking on it you'd probably have some sort of mental breakdown.

I disagree. During my weight loss phase, I used to weigh in just once a month because I also didn't like to see "wrong" numbers, but now, in maintenance, I weigh in every morning. I admit, at first, I did feel some disappointment, but as time went on, I found it extremely interesting, pleasing, and reassuring to have my own data on how my body weight fluctuates everyday, and to see how long it takes for results to show up. I'm all for getting comfortable with accepting that weight will *not* stay exactly the same all the time. I regret not having daily data from my weight loss time too.
    That being said, we're all different, so maybe daily weigh-ins will bother people too much, but I think it's worth weighing daily for at least a month to properly teach people that weight gains/losses are all about the big picture.