What is the best way to prepare Asparagus?

Options

Replies

• PeterDeGroot02
    Options
    If they are thin then a minute on a hot foreman-type grill is all they need, with a bit of oil and black pepper

For fat ones I like to bake them in a caserole wrapped in parma ham. Tiny bit of butter in the bottom. Very Juicy that way.

Tinned/bottled white ones are great slurped straight out of the tin - I never get those to the plate.
  • Sylvitryinghard
    Sylvitryinghard Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    if its white: (Im white asparagus cooking master lol)

peel asparagus, cut off dry ends

put all the peeled stuff in the pot with cooking water add sugar and salt (more sugar than salt) and cook for 10 minutes

remove all the stuff

and put the peeled asparagus in the water for like 10-15 min (medium heat)

Sooooooooooooooooooooo great if you do it like this :)

the link is in German but has pictures :)http://www.lecker.de/rezepte/spargelgerichte/bildergalerie-457876-spargelgerichte/Spargel-kochen-Schritt-fuer-Schritt-erklaert.html
  • LyndaTay
    LyndaTay Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Grilled or roasted with olive oil, garlic and a little salt.
  • LyndaTay
    LyndaTay Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Grilled or roasted with olive oil, garlic and a little salt.
  • robynann1955
    Options
    stick in the microwave in a little water for a couple of minutes - doesn't need anything to enhance the flavour cos it is bl@@dy beautiful just on its own!!!
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I roasted it tonight with garlic butter. It was soggy. The taste was not too bad - except I do believe it is a little over rated at this point.

One thing I noticed (and my SO) is the smell of the tips....OMG...GROSS! What is up with that? It smelt like...poo.
  • FunnyBunnyHunny
    FunnyBunnyHunny Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Steamed with lemon juice. YUMMM!
  • callieboom
    callieboom Posts: 30
    Options
    cooked on a ribbed skillet pan with the tiiiiiniiiieessttt bit of extra virgin olive oil, but in the summer I like it cooked on the barbecue! yummmm
  • callieboom
    callieboom Posts: 30
    Options
    I roasted it tonight with garlic butter. It was soggy. The taste was not too bad - except I do believe it is a little over rated at this point.

One thing I noticed (and my SO) is the smell of the tips....OMG...GROSS! What is up with that? It smelt like...poo.

Hahaha, I like the smell of cooked asparagus but it does make my pee smell funny the next day (it can't just be me??)
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    its not just you - in fact I find it starts in a couple of hours :ohwell:

For green asparagus, bend it near the thick end until it snaps, then steam until just tender when you stick a sharp knife point in the thickest bit. Put on a plate, top with soft poached eggs and parmesan shavings and serve with a rocket salad.

Or put on top of some rocket, top with slices of goat's chees and just flash under the grill til the goats cheese goeas a bit melty.

Add a bit of smoked salmon to either of these for extra protein. Nomnomnom
  • alibee81
    alibee81 Posts: 62
    Options
    Roast it in the oven with a little salt, pepper, balsamic and olive oil. Sprinkle some parmesan on top if you want.

It's delicious just on its own. But if you have some prosciutto, wrap them up in bundles of 3. Put some mozzarella inside the prosciutto parcels if you like.

It's also nice with smoked salmon, poached eggs and hollandaise sauce.
  • alibee81
    alibee81 Posts: 62
    Options
    stick in the microwave in a little water for a couple of minutes - doesn't need anything to enhance the flavour cos it is bl@@dy beautiful just on its own!!!

Sacrilege!
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Steamed and salted or lightly oiled and grilled are my go to choices for cooking asparagus. I love its natural flavor so I keep it pretty simple.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Grilled or oven roasted with coarse sea salt, fresh ground black pepper, evoo, and topped with a good shaved parmesan cheese.
  • pattyci
    pattyci Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I like it 3 ways:
    roasted with olive oil and balsamic vinegar
    steamed and then a sprinkle of olive oil and your favorite seasoning blend i.e. Mrs. Dash
    simply raw (tastes like green peas from the garden)

GOOD STUFF!! :smile:
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Steam it, but if the stalks are big and long, I sometimes split the bottom of the stem as it's a bit harder than the bud at the top.

Also I chop it up and stir it into things, sauces, risotto, sitr fry with noodles, that kind of thing.
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Whatever way you choose, don't overcook it! We like it lightly steamed, then rolled in a little butter and lemon juice. My daughter likes some grated Parmesan over the top. I think someone already suggested wrapped in Proscuitto and grilled.

I couldn't get past the smell of a lot of leafy greens and asparagus until I learned to add the lemon juice or vinegar. It totally changes the smell and the taste. Sautéing these veggies also helps with that. No more boiling in this house!
  • SpaGiggles
    Options
    A great way to prep asparagus: trim tuff ends, drop into boiling water, take out when bright green, drop into a dish of cool water with ice cubes to stop them from becoming mushy! Lastly drizzle with what you like, I like a bit of melted Irish butter. Hope this was helpful! Enjoy
  • SpaGiggles
    Options
    P.s., for the stench of the tips try rinsing in a cool wash of water and a splash of vinegar. It will kill any lil buggers you can't see and may help with the stink. As for the way it makes your pee smell, get a nice Bath and Body works room freshener. Lol
  • suepfau
    suepfau Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Roasted is definitely the best. I prepare most of my veggies that way now. Just a little EVOO, kosher salt, and pepper. Put in a 400 degree oven till tener crisp, anywhere between 20-40 minutes, depending on the veggie, and how crisp you want them. Yummy!