Exercising vs family/work commitments

Options
Hey all how are you today?
Was looking for some tips as how to best balance working out and family commitments?
I generally try to eat healthy and my daily exercise includes situps squats and walking my dogs.
I have an almost 1 year old and a busy work schedule so have no time for the gym and cannot go running with her.

Anyone on a similar journey?
Any suggestions for homework outs? I'm planning on starting swimming classes with her which will be a fun way to exercise with her, any other ideas as to how i can incorporate exercise with my family/work schedule?

THANKYOU!

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    It's a matter of making it a priority and managing your time....how about a jogging stroller, take the little one out while you go for a run? Walking during lunch breaks at work?

The swimming classes are a great idea and some gyms also have childcare facilities so you can get a workout. Could your SO/relative take over parenting for an hour or so daily?

Most of us have been where you are now, balancing family and career and trying to find time to stay fit. It can be done!

• shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    I love the app Sworkit. It has a large variety of exercise types that are without need for equipment. You choose the type of exercise and then how long you have to do it between 5 and 60 minutes. I find it's a no excuse way to get in something everyday!
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I did home workout dvds and youtube vids and still. I worked out during his nap time or bed time or if it's cardio, he used to be his swing and clapped along. He enjoyed watching me jump up and down and the music.workout dvds I used were beachbody and jillian michaels vids. I also liked fitness blender.com and you can set the time and type of workout

He is now almost 5 yrs old and still watches me work out or plays with his toys / ipad.
  • mhairi964
    mhairi964 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It's a matter of making it a priority and managing your time....how about a jogging stroller, take the little one out while you go for a run? Walking during lunch breaks at work?

The swimming classes are a great idea and some gyms also have childcare facilities so you can get a workout. Could your SO/relative take over parenting for an hour or so daily?

Most of us have been where you are now, balancing family and career and trying to find time to stay fit. It can be done!

Hey I love your suggestions however I have limited help with my daughter so getting someone to watch her whilst I workout sadly isn't an option.

Will deffo look into a jogging stroller on payday didn't know they existed! Will be a challenge with 2 dogs aswell but I'm game
  • mhairi964
    Options
    shinycrazy wrote: »
    I love the app Sworkit. It has a large variety of exercise types that are without need for equipment. You choose the type of exercise and then how long you have to do it between 5 and 60 minutes. I find it's a no excuse way to get in something everyday!

Thankyou will download it just now!
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    Jogging strollers are not the cheapest thing but when you add up a gym membership and daycare they seem much more reasonable. They move much easier then traditional strollers do.
  • mhairi964
    Options
    Jogging strollers are not the cheapest thing but when you add up a gym membership and daycare they seem much more reasonable. They move much easier then traditional strollers do.

My problem is that the stroller cannot be heavy as I need to carry my daughter in it up over 50 steps to reach my flat (which is a workout in itself
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    mhairi964 wrote: »

My problem is that the stroller cannot be heavy as I need to carry my daughter in it up over 50 steps to reach my flat (which is a workout in itself

Do you have a handheld baby monitor? If so, you could climb your stairs for exercise.
  • meganmoore112
    meganmoore112 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Before I joined the gym, I used Fitness Blender for workouts (fitnessblender.com). Home workouts might be best for you right now since you have a full time job and limited help with your daughter. She's old enough to play with toys while you workout.
  • jcsgirl86
    jcsgirl86 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    ^^ What geogirl0626 said...fitnessblender.com...a great at home workout.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    YouTube is going to be your best friend: fitness blender, tone it up, BodyFit by Amy, gymra, athlean-xx, yoga with adriene, blogilates are all good channels to check out.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    The problem with the baby stroller (stairs) may be the solution - get a baby backpack and run/walk those stairs? I carried both of mine in packpacks on multiple hiking trips and they had a blast. The added weight will help make the stairs that much harder.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I think you are doing great. This stroller has high reviews for folding compactly.

http://www.babyjogger.com/product/summit-x3/

Staying fit is complimentary to work and parenting goals. You are more alert and energetic at work, and you are better prepared to keep up with a toddler. Self care is never a waste of time.
  • ZRx4
    ZRx4 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I agree with a lot of the above statements. I have 4 kids and stay at home. But a balance of taking my 1st and kindergartener to school and running a household, to say the least is busy. I don't have family to help either and I can't afford a fancy gym. Tho I have access to a community gym at night when the hubs is home. So I go occasionally. I have a bob double stroller, it's 26 lbs. the singles are less. Not too bad it's been the best baby purchase I have ever made. If money is tight, there's fitness blender, YouTube, my lastest favorite is Melissa bender. Anyways, there's lots of options for you and lots of great advice. Btw. I bought my bob used for a lot less. Good luck!
  • hzl22
    hzl22 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Wear your baby..they are excellent weights and you can squat with them lol.. Also YouTube workout videos I do 15 min fatburn by Zuzka light and omg they are awesome .. I have never sweated so much in my life ., my one year just runs around while I follow her and sometimes tries to follow along as well lol
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Are you a single parent?
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I took up running 8 years ago, just after I had had my second baby. I always ran in the evenings after the kids had gone to bed, and I still do now out of habit.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    You can try what this woman did:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVkEel7bE_E
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    When the my two daughters were very young I worked out at home to dvd's and home weights and stairmaster - after they reached 4 and 5 I re joined my gym and brought them with me every afternoon - they then joined their own activities at the gym got their black belts in Taekwondo and learned/trained for competitive swimming at our gym...its a healthy lifestyle for us and our children!
  • workout_junkee
    workout_junkee Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4:30 and do it before my kids are up. I run, lift at home or videos.