What to eat after workout if I'm 'added sugar free'?

Options
Jaegur
Jaegur Posts: 80 Member
Hi!

So, last month I cut out about 95% of added sugar from my foods, and this week I started weight training with my home gym. Now, the last time I used weights--about 4 years ago-- I would go home and drink a glass of delicious chocolate milk for recovery. However, that's no longer feasible with the amount of sugar that's added to it.

So... does anyone have any suggestions on what I should drink/eat to help my body after I tear it up for a bit? (I also cut out artificial sweeteners.)

Or do I even need an after-weights thing?

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    You don't necessarily need anything right after exercise. But if you want anything and it shouldn't have added sugar just eat some fruit.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Yeah. A banana blended with milk and a little whey powder and cocoa.

I insist you go and get some pure cocoa and learn how to prepare it.

I finally figured out how to order a stellar sugar free beverage from Starbucks. It does have an artificial sweetener though.

I ordered a chai tea with sugar free hazelnut, then added my own cream and cocoa powder.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Is there a health reason that you cut out added sugars? If not there's no reason not to enjoy chocolate milk after exercising, it's an excellent recovery drink typically with a carb to protein ration of about 4:1 but if you're adamant the banana / protein powder smoothie is a good choice too.

The main reason to have a recovery drink / snack right after working out is glycogen replenishment

This may be worth a read....

thesportjournal.org/article/glycogen-replenishment-after-exhaustive-exercise/

• cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Post exercise is an ideal time to consume protien.
  • Jaegur
    Options
    Thanks, guys! Last time I just had 3 eggs and some mustard, lol.

Is there a health reason that you cut out added sugars? If not there's no reason not to enjoy chocolate milk after exercising, it's an excellent recovery drink typically with a carb to protein ration of about 4:1 but if you're adamant the banana / protein powder smoothie is a good choice too.

The main reason to have a recovery drink / snack right after working out is glycogen replenishment

This may be worth a read....

thesportjournal.org/article/glycogen-replenishment-after-exhaustive-exercise/

Do you know off hand how the two compare? (Chocolate milk Vs Banana/protein powder?)
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    ASAIK some fast digesting carbs after your workout, spikes insulin, which helps your muscles absorb protein.

This is why I have whey (with water) and a banana after my workouts.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    whatever you want...I usually have an apple and some whey
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    cgvet37 wrote: »

Mind blown.

OP, there's no need to cut out. It seems like you're unnecessarily restricting yourself for no benefit. But if you absolutely insist on no added sugar, just eat whatever you prefer after a workout. Unless you're a professional athlete with a need for optimum recovery, have something like a bowl of oats or whatever. But if you're hung up on consuming the sort of thing some people in this world would insist is better than other things post workout, chicken and rice would be a good choice.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    A glass of plain milk has protein, fat, and sugar.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,555 Member
    Options
    pbryd wrote: »
    ASAIK some fast digesting carbs after your workout, spikes insulin, which helps your muscles absorb protein.

This is why I have whey (with water) and a banana after my workouts.
    For the average person, there's hardly any significance. Unless one has to supplement protein to meet a goal, your muscles absorb protein throughout the whole day even without fast digesting carbs since protein is also insulingenic.
    The whole post meal is mostly broscience.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened soy milk or some fairlife milk?
  • Jaegur
    Options
    Scamd83 wrote: »
    cgvet37 wrote: »

Mind blown.

OP, there's no need to cut out. It seems like you're unnecessarily restricting yourself for no benefit. But if you absolutely insist on no added sugar, just eat whatever you prefer after a workout. Unless you're a professional athlete with a need for optimum recovery, have something like a bowl of oats or whatever. But if you're hung up on consuming the sort of thing some people in this world would insist is better than other things post workout, chicken and rice would be a good choice.

I cut out added sugar to better my health... That stuff is useless for the body.

I think I'll go with banana and whey. Thanks all!
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Um. Fruit.
  • Jaegur
    Options
    Um. Fruit.

=)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    If a morning workout - eat lunch.
    If an afternoon workout eat dinner.
    If you are hungry have a snack - fruit would seem to fit your preferences.

You really don't need an "after weights thing". Focus on your diet as a whole and not the timing.
    So many people seem obsessed with eating like an elite athlete when they aren't training like an elite athlete who needs to maximise every last percentage point.
  • ZRx4
    ZRx4 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Lately, my go to has been a small banana and unsweetened almond butter from Costco.
  • makelemonade14
    makelemonade14 Posts: 46 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I workout before breakfast, then drink a smoothie when I get home. Unsweetened almond milk, carrot juice, 1/2 banana, 3 strawberries, 3/4 cup mixed berries, a big handful of power greens, a scoop of plain Greek yogurt, 1T chia seeds. I love it. I drink it because it tastes good and gives me the right start to my day. No clue if it's better post workout than some other option. Plus I struggle with fruit and veggie eating so this guarantees I get some in everyday.