Good fats??

Options
I have no idea what good fats are! Please list some as I feel I need to add these:-)

Replies

• pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    The typicals:

Avocado
    Fatty fish(salmon, trout, sardines)
    Nuts/ nut butters
    Olive, coconut oils
    Seeds (chia, pumpkin, flax, sunflower)

Just beware of trans fats. Saturated, although not as healthy as unsaturated fats, they are okay for you to ingest. There's is also naturally occurring trans fats in meats that are okay to consume. Beware of the pastries and fried items though that contain the trans(:
  • lil_katie86
    lil_katie86 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks! I don't eat anything fried any way:-)
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    avacado, nuts, olive oil - pretty much everything he said.

I just started using avacado oil in place of olive oil and it's so good! It's definitely a good fat. I also keep shelled peanuts in the house and eat .5-1 ounce of those per day. Lots of sodium but they are my weakness.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Good fats include dark meat chicken, eggs, butter, full fat cheese and salad dressing, nuts, seeds, tofu,
    tuna, salmon, sardines, olives, beef and pork.
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Just avoid transfats which are found in processed and prepackaged foods.
  • lil_katie86
    lil_katie86 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Great information thanks:-)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I think vegetable oils are often best to be avoided. Fats from animal products are good for you. Some oils from plants like seeds, coconut, olive, etc, also appear to be good for you.
  • KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I avoid all of the not-so-really 'heart healthy' veggie oils (PUFAs) and trans fats. IMO the risk is too high to consume those oils, but they are in EVERYTHING prepackaged. Mayos, salad dressings, chips...etc. I primarily stick with olive oil, coconut oil, and grass-fed butter these days. Avocado is good too, I just don't keep it in the house right now.

If the fat is found in a natural food - nuts, olives, dairy, avocados...etc. - I enjoy them!
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil, MCT Oil, Macadamia nut oil, KerryGold Butter. Stay away from olive oil which is almost always watered down with unhealthy Omega-6 Vegetable oil. :)