New Wardrobe

Options
It was my intention to go to church this morning, but I ended up going through my clothes and pulling out nearly all my clothes and setting them aside because they don't fit anymore (too big). I literally have four dressier outfits to wear now, and I know my casual wear isn't going to be too far behind.

I was hoping to stave off buying a new wardrobe until I was where I wanted to be at. I am at my goal weight, but, according to an online calculator (which I know might not be accurate) I'm approximately 27-30% body fat - which I have been attempting to lower the past month. I do carry most of my excess weight in my belly. Right now, in my clothes that do fit I'm wearing "Small" or 9-12 depending upon the make of the outfit. I'd like to get down to between 17-22% body fat.

If I went out and bought a whole new wardrobe now, what are the chances given the 8-13% body fat reduction I will hopefully be undergoing, that I will end up having to buy another completely new wardrobe? Any chance that I would stay in the small / 9-12 area? I just hate to have to go out and buy all new clothes only to throw those away in 6 months because those are too big.

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Instead of getting a whole new wardrobe, get some basics for now.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    6 months from now you'd need different clothes anyway since the season will be changing.

I bought new clothes as I needed them. I understand that not everyone can afford it but if you can, I don't see the point of looking like a schlub while working hard to improve yourselg.
  • ruths19
    ruths19 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The seasons come around again though....unless you are very wealthy you aren't going to be buying all new outfits every 6 months.
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Buy what you need and see how it goes. Tops are more forgiving. I'm working with 2 pair of jeans that fit right now, but plenty of tops because unless they are actually falling off they just look more or less fitted.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    There's no need to replace absolutely everything though, right? I'm assuming the OP is in the northern hemisphere and say a pair of jeans, two pairs of dress pants, a couple of skirts, and a few plain t-shirts would likely do it for spring. The shirts would be fine in the summer and then in the fall you could wear them under a twinset style cardigan. Air dry the dress pants and skirt until they are too big and then shrink them in the washer/dryer. If you dress monochromatically it's more difficult to see bagginess too.
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Value Village (thrift shop) is the friend of those who are in between weights. Why buy all brand new expensive things that you will shrink out of soon and not be able to wear?
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    I agree with just picking up a few items for now. I'm trying to hold off until I hit goal. I have some of my old stuff I used to wear when I was thinner so I plan to wear that stuff and then once getting to goal I will go out and buy some new stuff. I've already lost 15 lbs and barely notice a difference in my clothing yet.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Value Village (thrift shop) is the friend of those who are in between weights. Why buy all brand new expensive things that you will shrink out of soon and not be able to wear?

^^This. I would be either broke or naked the past year and a half if it weren't for V V and Goodwill. I only buy new those necessities I can't find at these stores. I don't need many dress up or business clothes.
  • veggiecanner
    veggiecanner Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I live near a thrift store that sells each item for $1 each. Which Is great because I just bought a Pair of slacks Mar. 1 and their already too loose. I've been able to take a few things in as well. A few of my things I have passed up to my husband who has also lost weight along with me. I have to wash clothes more often now. I took my undies in by 2 in on each side and they work just fine. They were almost new and I coudn't see buying new ones yet. I've been donating the clothes I can't wear anymore to the thrift store as I loose weight. I'm getting so I hate loosing weight because I shrink out of some of the clothes pretty fast. My husband laughs when I tell him that. Mostly thats been extra thick pairs of sweet pants I wore walking outside this winter.
  • TK6299
    TK6299 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I went from a 34 to a 30, I feel all your pain. It feels so good though!
  • carolerunsalot
    carolerunsalot Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Goodwill has half off everything on the first Saturday of the month.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    My guess is all those close aren't equally bad fitting. Maybe just gradually replace and always replace the worst item or 2 and hang onto stuff that could still be useful if necessary.