Lyle MacDonald nails it

Options
2»

Replies

• CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I watched the whole thing. It explains alot. I wish he had gone into more detail on menopause though. Yes, it's harder for a female to lose that last 20 lbs and keep it off. We need a strategy to be successful. Drawing back to study mine................ Thanks for the link.
    I imagine his book will be discuss it further.
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    <3
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    This was a really interesting watch.
  • CJsf1t
    CJsf1t Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this @Mistraal1981 ! Very interesting!
  • poteatkd
    poteatkd Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Bumping to watch later today. Seems the consensus of opinion is that the man knows what he is talking about.

Thank you for posting. =)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    It's funny that I watched this and started a deficit, right smack in the worst phase of my cycle which he talks about here. 12 days later? Weight finally dropped. It's really frustrating getting only one week per month when I can get an accurate weigh-in.
  • Slowfaster
    Slowfaster Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Run out of time. Can anyone quickly summarise what we have need to do around our monthly cycle? Can we eat more?? Can we?

We've always known that a woman's body is genetically designed to hang on to it's weight harder than a man's because her body is responsible for carrying babies and feeding them afterward. Women are much more likely to survive a famine.

Our hormonal cycle will effect hunger and fat loss and any added hormones, through birth control, will also factor into how hungry she is and how many calories she will burn at any time of the month. All good reasons to only weigh ourselves once a month, at the end of our period.

Lyle goes into all this in great detail but frequently reminds us that problems like dieting until you quit menstruating won't happen until your body fat gets really low. He says that all these differences mean that while we wont lose weight as fast as men and our bodies will try to compensate for any caloric deficits harder, we can still lose weight, we just have to be more meticulous and patient than they do.

A lot of his information will be valuable to women who are trying to take their bodies from a "normal," body fat of 20 or 25, into the teens and into a much leaner stage where her abs will show because that layer of estrogen produced fat will be gone. I'm not sure why she would want to do that but some do.

For those of us who simply want to achieve a normal BMI, the information is probably not necessary, though it is interesting. Just know not to compare ourselves with men. We wont lose as fast as they do, we wont look as lean.

• 22Brentwoodgirl
    22Brentwoodgirl Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Bumping to watch later.
  • kimdawnhayden
    kimdawnhayden Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I love Lyle!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Run out of time. Can anyone quickly summarise what we have need to do around our monthly cycle? Can we eat more?? Can we?

We've always known that a woman's body is genetically designed to hang on to it's weight harder than a man's because her body is responsible for carrying babies and feeding them afterward. Women are much more likely to survive a famine.

Our hormonal cycle will effect hunger and fat loss and any added hormones, through birth control, will also factor into how hungry she is and how many calories she will burn at any time of the month. All good reasons to only weigh ourselves once a month, at the end of our period.

Lyle goes into all this in great detail but frequently reminds us that problems like dieting until you quit menstruating won't happen until your body fat gets really low. He says that all these differences mean that while we wont lose weight as fast as men and our bodies will try to compensate for any caloric deficits harder, we can still lose weight, we just have to be more meticulous and patient than they do.

A lot of his information will be valuable to women who are trying to take their bodies from a "normal," body fat of 20 or 25, into the teens and into a much leaner stage where her abs will show because that layer of estrogen produced fat will be gone. I'm not sure why she would want to do that but some do.

For those of us who simply want to achieve a normal BMI, the information is probably not necessary, though it is interesting. Just know not to compare ourselves with men. We wont lose as fast as they do, we wont look as lean.

I watched this a few weeks ago but this part *just* got through to me because I just got feedback on my bf%, which I thought was way higher than the range he was talking about. Turns out it's pretty much where I am, which helps explain some difficulties I have been having. I need to go back and listen to it all again.
  • gesundundmunter
    gesundundmunter Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Great information. I also wished there was more on menopause (I'm 56). Maybe in his books.
  • indunna
    indunna Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Bump to watch later
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Thanks for posting and re-bumping!

Miscellaneous thoughts-

At the beginning he is talking a bit about his other book he is writing and says (and I am paraphrasing), people know how to lose weight they just don't know how to maintain it. Small quibble I just don't think this is universal. I see this on here sometimes, that people think it's "easy" to lose and "difficult" to maintain. I suspect the truth is not so straightforward, I know I don't find it easy to lose weight. I never get the chance to maintain because I never hit my weight loss goal, so obviously it's difficult to lose weight. Granted it's just a one off sentence from him, I suspect he's going to go through it with his usual thoroughness and of course we need more info on maintenance.

"Women are treated like little men" I laughed, this reminded me of the middle ages when they used to draw/paint children like little adults.

"Once he [the man] contributes his one little thing, he kind of doesn't matter anymore. I mean, it's helpful if he hangs around." - to kill spiders :p

Says women have an easier time losing upper body fat, something along the lines of men ending up with a tummy and skinny legs while women can get abs much sooner. Again not sure this is universal, many of us apple-shaped women would disagree!

"Men have one 65 year long cycle of being a--holes" Haha.

"Forums are going the way of the dinosaur" lies!

*Edited to add: really looking forward to the book!
  • ErryDayImHustlin
    ErryDayImHustlin Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Lyle is the man
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Bump--cause this is awesome.
  • Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I watched this a couple of days ago. It was really good :)