How to calculate calories for other people's food

Options
Going to family members house for Easter. I don't know what ingredients she used in everything etc. How should I calculate and log?

Replies

• macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Take a guess, overestimate, and take small portions of things you know you'll like. Small samples of new stuff if you want.

And enjoy the holiday :)

~Lyssa
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    ...and don't talk about your "diet" or ask what's in stuff because you're on a "diet." I wouldn't mention anything about trying to figure out calories or anything other than, "Oh my, this is delicious!" Or, "Thank you so much for preparing such a wonderful meal!"

Family feasts are not the time to bring up your food needs or worrying about calories - unless you are bringing your own meal, just be gracious. Definitely don't ask how much butter she used!
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    ...and don't talk about your "diet" or ask what's in stuff because you're on a "diet." I wouldn't mention anything about trying to figure out calories or anything other than, "Oh my, this is delicious!" Or, "Thank you so much for preparing such a wonderful meal!"

Family feasts are not the time to bring up your food needs or worrying about calories - unless you are bringing your own meal, just be gracious. Definitely don't ask how much butter she used!

I agree with this, too. If I want to know what's in a dish, I just comment on how delicious it is and ask what's in it. Most folks are happy to list off the ingredients if you compliment their food ;)

~Lyssa
  • Microscopes
    Microscopes Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Haha thank you.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Say how great it is and ask for the recipe.
    You could find a recipe online and use that. Won't be accurate but gives you an idea.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »

I agree with this, too. If I want to know what's in a dish, I just comment on how delicious it is and ask what's in it. Most folks are happy to list off the ingredients if you compliment their food ;)

~Lyssa

Yep, if there is one particular dish that you just can't guess, compliment the cook and ask for a description of how it's made.

Also, it gets easier to guess once you've been doing it for awhile, but in the beginning it can be tough and you just do the best you can, enjoy yourself, and move on.
  • Microscopes
    Microscopes Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    You could find a recipe online and use that. Won't be accurate but gives you an idea.

I like the idea, but I couldn't imagine asking for the recipe for 5 different side dishes :)
  • DC707
    DC707 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »

I like the idea, but I couldn't imagine asking for the recipe for 5 different side dishes :)

Find similar things online and upload the recipes... will be close enough.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    And when everyone has sat down and is ready to start eating, say how great it is that everyone is together and you really want to get a pic of everyone at the table. Then when you get back to your seat, snap a close up of your plate, so you don't have to guess what was on it later.
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    CyberTone wrote: »
    And when everyone has sat down and is ready to start eating, say how great it is that everyone is together and you really want to get a pic of everyone at the table. Then when you get back to your seat, snap a close up of your plate, so you don't have to guess what was on it later.

Or just take a picture of your plate and say that you are watching what you eat. Half the 1st world is dieting at one point or another, it doesn't have to be some big taboo thing. You are trying to lose weight, not take up hooking.