Is it okay to eat WHATEVER i want but keep a calorie deficit?

Options

Replies

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Sure, if you aren't interested in health or quality of life.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    You can. So if you want to have a Big Mac for approximately 540 calories 44 carbs 33 grams of fat, and that fits into your daily calories, go ahead. But, you could have so much more food quantity and quality wise, that it's hardly worth it (my opinion)unless you're having a cheat meal.
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    You seem to be looking for the absolute laziest way to do this... First your post about keeping a deficit but doing nothing, and now this.

Yes. You can eat nothing but potato chips all day every day, and as long as you are in deficit, you will lose weight. And Yes, you can do no exercise whatsoever and lose weight as long as you are in deficit.

And Yes... You can do no exercise whatsoever, WHILE eating nothing but potato chips all day, and you will still lose weight as long as you are in deficit.

But let's not get weight loss confused with health. Because if you are eating nothing but potato chips, you will wind up with malnutrition problems, vitamin deficiencies, and probably eventually a heart attack. And if you live a completely sedentary life, then you can expect to deal with illnesses related to that at some point as well. You will be skinny, but you will be sick.

If you want to do this correctly, then try to eat a relatively balanced diet (with your favorite foods worked in, of course). And then get up and go for a walk.

Exercise: http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/fitness/expert-answers/exercise/faq-20057916
    Food: http://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015/guidelines/
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    darlswife wrote: »
    You can. So if you want to have a Big Mac for approximately 540 calories 44 carbs 33 grams of fat, and that fits into your daily calories, go ahead. But, you could have so much more food quantity and quality wise, that it's hardly worth it (my opinion)unless you're having a cheat meal.

This.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    ?

Yes. Eat a well balanced diet including what you want while running a deficit to lose weight, at maintenance to maintain, or a surplus to gain.

Really?

So you are saying that quality of life and health will suffer if eating at a deficit if the OP is not careful choosing where the calories come from? Did he state they would only be coming from what you would consider "unhealthy" foods?

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Yes, but if "whatever you want" happens to be predominantly nutrient poor and happens to make the majority of your calories, your health can suffer. You may also end up being hungry all the time if "whatever you want" is also high in calories. This is especially a concern since you mentioned in another thread that you want to lose weight without exercising, so you won't have that extra calorie cushion exercise provides.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Yes. What many people try to do is focused on eating a balanced diet with nutrient dense foods and fit in the foods they want in smaller amounts or on less frequent occasions than they may do before they started losing weight.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Why are they mutually exclusive?
  • justBreathe33
    justBreathe33 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Follow the 80/20 rule: 80% healthy and 20% junk
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    "Is it okay to eat WHATEVER i want but keep a calorie deficit?"

No - the Nutrition Police will track you down and beat you to a bloody pulp.

Depends what you want to eat.
    Depends what your goals are.

Feedback - maybe time to do some reading of the many useful and informative sticky threads at the top of the various forums rather than create really lazy threads?

• DoneWorking
    DoneWorking Posts: 247 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I guess you need to clarify what you mean. If you're talking about including some snacky stuff in moderation than yes. But just because you are meeting your limits, doesn't mean you aren't doing yourself a disservice if it's all junk food. Losing weight and eating healthier go hand in hand in your journey. Otherwise, what's the point? I'd rather eat well and be overweight than skinny and only eating food that is detrimental to my health. Mightn't that be at least partly what got you here?
  • HealthyGinny
    HealthyGinny Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Yes as long as you remember that weightloss doesn't equal health and that low-cal doesn't equal good nutrition.
  • Mentali
    Mentali Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    ?

Yes. Eat a well balanced diet including what you want while running a deficit to lose weight, at maintenance to maintain, or a surplus to gain.

Really?

So you are saying that quality of life and health will suffer if eating at a deficit if the OP is not careful choosing where the calories come from? Did he state they would only be coming from what you would consider "unhealthy" foods?

While he didn't outright say it, the emphasis on "WHATEVER" strongly implies that the question is "even if the food is (food generally seen as bad for you)?" If you aren't interested in health, then you can eat WHATEVER you want. If you are, you have to be at least a bit more picky.
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, so just curious, I know and I've seen a thousand times that the only real way to drop weight is by a calorie deficit, but what the macros?? I mean let's say he eats all 90% carbs, 5% fat, 5% protein, I know extreme just using that as an example, he'll lose weight simply due the calorie deficit but his overall body won't look good, right? I don't know maybe I sound stupid, but does the macro breakdown have anything to do with your overall success in how fit you "look" and forget the "health" aspect of this, I'm just curious.
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    ?

Interesting question. Most people have answered your question quite well (minus some of the seemingly negative tone in responses), but before you ask yourself that, what are YOUR GOALS?! I mean yea okay you obviously want to lose weight hence your question, but do you want to be muscular, do you want to be athletic, or do you simply just want to weigh less? Because now that we put these questions into play it DOES make a difference. Does that help and make more sense?
  • DoneWorking
    DoneWorking Posts: 247 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Seth1825 wrote: »
    Hey guys, so just curious, I know and I've seen a thousand times that the only real way to drop weight is by a calorie deficit, but what the macros?? I mean let's say he eats all 90% carbs, 5% fat, 5% protein, I know extreme just using that as an example, he'll lose weight simply due the calorie deficit but his overall body won't look good, right? I don't know maybe I sound stupid, but does the macro breakdown have anything to do with your overall success in how fit you "look" and forget the "health" aspect of this, I'm just curious.

He might look somewhat better in that he would be thinner, but, his skin, eyes etc. probably wouldn't look as good as good as he would if he was getting the good nutrients.
  • rhiannonmummy
    rhiannonmummy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Well I am limited in what u can eat and I don't hit all my nutrient goals hardly ever! I take a multivitamin daily with added iron and that helps.
    Try a mixture of being strict and letting go
  • Jamiempang
    Jamiempang Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Macros are important too! Calories first, macros second, and then of course you need to work out. Depending on what your goals are and where you are starting from. Health should be more important than simply losing weight. You can lose weight and still be unhealthy. I learned a lot about healthy eating and macros and I feel silly for eating the way I did before. Now if you are asking if you can still eat food you love... YES! I just finished a boot camp where I was eating waffles, spicy chicken, chicken fried rice, and even cheesecake. It's about learning HOW to cook the meals and how to balance them out in your day. Feel free to friend me if you want support.
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    OP - I have looked at your diary, and if you are recording everything that you are eating, then you are eating far too little for an adult male (or for that matter, and adult female). I strongly suggest that you do your research and start eating a healthy diet, at healthy intake levels, or you are going to make yourself ill.

He is averaging about 900 cals a day on what seems to be bread, sandwich meat, and rotisserie chicken everyone... so before jumping on the people who are "assuming" he is eating poorly, you should have a gander.