How accurate is the 5 week weight prediction?

I went over my calorie limit of 1000cals a day yesterday. I ate about 1400 calories and the app said if everyday were like this, I would weigh 102lbs in 5 weeks. I find this hard to believe since 1400cal is approximately the amount of cals I've been eating until I gained 4lbs.

Replies

• Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    It's not at all accurate for me.
  • BeYouTiful94
    BeYouTiful94 Posts: 289 Member
    I don't pay attention to it, but I don't think anyone really finds it all too accurate

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10339300/you-will-weigh-in-5-weeks
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 770 Member
    I think of it as a Daily Food Horoscope: lots of fun to read, nothing to base my image of the future around.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    rolling-dice-gif-11.gif
  • chrislee1628
    chrislee1628 Posts: 305 Member
    I just use it as a guide and log

just like fitbit is not 100% accurate in telling you how many calories you have earned etc

can I really be bothered to log absolutely everything, cups of water I have drunk, every single step, every single calorie etc not a chance!
  • tapwaters
    tapwaters Posts: 428 Member
    With the wild differences between bodies and honest of logging, would you really expect it to be?
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    its just a nice visual aid, but even if we ate exactly the same for that period of time, the way our bodies process food changes, our moods change, the tides change, hmmm what ELSE can I blame it on... lol So take it with a grain of salt is what I am saying. :-)
  • Mavrick_RN
    Mavrick_RN Posts: 439 Member
    Totally inaccurate and useless.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    It's more of a motivator, I think: if you continue to do this, you will continue to lose weight. Regarding your 1400 calorie day, I'm assuming they're averaging data over a period to come up with a prediction -- if they're using 30 days (or five weeks), one day over isn't going to make much of a difference. I've been losing at a steady 1lb/week since last October, and my prediction is right on the money.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    It's based on replicating "today's" calories exactly for 5 weeks, which obviously no one does. It's just a little fun projection to help motivate you and keep you on track.
  • ldowdesw
    ldowdesw Posts: 222 Member
    I gaze at it longingly x
  • MsBuzzkillington
    MsBuzzkillington Posts: 171 Member
    Your calorie limit should be higher than 1000 calories?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    ldowdesw wrote: »
    I gaze at it longingly x

Bahaa me too!

• dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    I wish I could disable it.
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    It's never been accurate for me. My sister in law recently signed up and it said she would lose her first 5lb by December!
  • CraftHer
    CraftHer Posts: 30 Member
    I kept track because I was curious, too. It's about 4-5 pounds off. It says I should weigh 4 pounds less than I do. I usually stay plus/minus 200 calories of my 1200 calorie goal per day. I look at it as another motivator than a predictor.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Don't close out your day and you don't see it. Et voila, no worrying about it! That's all closing your day does anyway, show you that essentially pretty meaningless unless you eat the exact same thing every day number. Never seen the point myself.
  • mommazach
    mommazach Posts: 384 Member
    Not even close for me. I should've been 25 lbs lighter by now.