I've slowly been upping my calories to try and maintain

Over recent weeks I've been upping my calories to try and maintain.
I put on 2 lbs last week and I wasn't even close to what the calories should be.
Today I've consumed the most I have in a long time and dominoes pizza for the first time in over a year.
You know what I blooming enjoyed every last bit and I don't even care what the scales say for the first time in over a year.
This is major progress for me,I'm even considering eating back some of my exercise calories for the day and have some chocolate

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited March 2016
    Careful not to go too far in the opposite direction after reaching goal.

Your thinking sounds slightly disordered/extreme. You should have been eating exercise calories back the whole time, or at least half of them daily, and allowing yourself chocolate if you love it.

Hope I'm just being overly cautious. Kind regards.
  • tamaraworrall
    tamaraworrall Posts: 166 Member
    It's took me a while to do this tbh so it's all about trying to find what works for me still
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    How much of a deficit did you have while you were losing? How much weight did you lose?

Rapidly increasing calories or eating foods different than you ate while losing can cause an increase on the scale due to glycogen stores being replenished, water retention from increases sodium or carbs, etc. it's similar to the big whoosh of weight loss many people experience when they first start eating at a deficit.

However going back to maintenance too quickly can have adverse effects and many people find slowly raising their cals by a couple hundred every week helps them pinpoint their actual maintenance level which may be different than what they estimated.
  • tamaraworrall
    tamaraworrall Posts: 166 Member
    I've been trying to up my calories slowly for about a month now and I'm not ashamed to admit I'm struggling and feeling a failure right now.
    I put 2 lbs on last week but I was ok with that as had a few treats though didn't hit maintenance calories still and the same this week but put on again .
    I did it all myself so just calorie counted ,cut the rubbish out and loads of exercise.
    I lost over 16 stone,I don't know what to aim for eating wise and trying to introduce treats too