Help on toning and lifting.

Options
staciw
staciw Posts: 58 Member
Hoping that someone who knows why they are doing might offer some suggestions.

I'm 44, started at 195 and have lost down to 172 with diet mostly. Started the c25k running program four weeks ago and currently do that every other day. Other than that, I don't do any exercise.

However, it's time. The weight is still slowly coming off. I still have 30 lbs to go and want to make sure that I am doing it the best possible way and want to make sure that I will be able to keep it off for good. I'm interested in beginning lifting (I have never done this and I don't know anything about it). I don't have a gym membership, and right now I don't have the time for it because my gym doesn't offer child care - so ideally, I need something I can do at home.

My lower back has been getting really weak over the years and I know it's very weak now. Even simple gardening has been bothering me this season - so it's time! My arms are also weak.

As far as diet - I am eating 1200 calories now. I'm losing, but I'm not sure if I am eating the way that I should be for beginning lifting and toning.

Any help offered?

Replies

• aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Do you have any equipment at home? Not that you need it (because you can do a lot with bodyweight), but this would help people know what you have to work with.
  • staciw
    Options
    I have 5 lb Dumbbells. I also have the Firm DVD set that came with a 5 or 10 lb bar. That may be outdated, but maybe it's something useful? I'm willing to invest some money and I have an empty exercise room - I have three boys that I'm sure will want to lift weights someday.
  • aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I do not know much about the Firm DVD set, but I assume it would still be useful. I would check out home workout programs such as the ones at bodybuilding.com http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/4-effective-at-home-weight-loss-workouts.html?searchterm=home or similar webpages. With a few free weights, an exercise bench or ball, and bodyweight, you can easily find a good program to help you. Start with light weight and master the technique first.
  • veleaton
    veleaton Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi, StaciW. I can't say that I "know" about toning and lifting but wanted to share a website my dietician provided. I have been doing mostly cardio only, and she recommended I add strength training too. The website is https://www.fitnessblender.com/ You can make a plan with the dumbbell you do have or select no equipments.
  • stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly clueless about any serious training but I downloaded a few free apps and have been using them for about 3 weeks and can definitely tell a difference. I do one for chest which is a lot of push-ups but the basic workout is doable, one for abs which is pretty good and one that is called LAB (legs, abs, butt) mainly because the name amuses me. Each one takes about 7 minutes and doesn't require anything other than a mat. This week I'm going to schedule an appointment with a trainer to get a more consistent workout set up but something like that may be a good place for you to start especially since the gym isn't currently an option for you.
  • staciw
    Options
    aub6689 wrote: »
    I do not know much about the Firm DVD set, but I assume it would still be useful. I would check out home workout programs such as the ones at bodybuilding.com http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/4-effective-at-home-weight-loss-workouts.html?searchterm=home or similar webpages. With a few free weights, an exercise bench or ball, and bodyweight, you can easily find a good program to help you. Start with light weight and master the technique first.

Thank you! This looks like the perfect place to start! Looks plenty challenging but achievable!

• staciw
    Options
    veleaton wrote: »
    Hi, StaciW. I can't say that I "know" about toning and lifting but wanted to share a website my dietician provided. I have been doing mostly cardio only, and she recommended I add strength training too. The website is https://www.fitnessblender.com/ You can make a plan with the dumbbell you do have or select no equipments.

Thank you!
  • staciw
    Options
    stevwil41 wrote: »
    I'm fairly clueless about any serious training but I downloaded a few free apps and have been using them for about 3 weeks and can definitely tell a difference. I do one for chest which is a lot of push-ups but the basic workout is doable, one for abs which is pretty good and one that is called LAB (legs, abs, butt) mainly because the name amuses me. Each one takes about 7 minutes and doesn't require anything other than a mat. This week I'm going to schedule an appointment with a trainer to get a more consistent workout set up but something like that may be a good place for you to start especially since the gym isn't currently an option for you.

Sounds like you're on the right path!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    What does "lifted" and "toned" mean to you? Most likely it is a relatively lower body fat % with muscle definition? In that case, keep up your deficit but find a body weight resistance training program. The goal is to lose fat, and preserve lean mass (when we lose "weight", that includes muscle-resistance training helps us maintain that muscle)

As far as free weight training, those 5 pound dumbbells aren't going to get you very far. If you're not going to join a gym, body weight training is the way to go. Two popular programs are Convict Conditioning and You Are Your Own Gym. Another is the beginner body weight program found here: https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

And eat a sufficient amount of protein.
  • staciw
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    What does "lifted" and "toned" mean to you? Most likely it is a relatively lower body fat % with muscle definition? In that case, keep up your deficit but find a body weight resistance training program. The goal is to lose fat, and preserve lean mass (when we lose "weight", that includes muscle-resistance training helps us maintain that muscle)

As far as free weight training, those 5 pound dumbbells aren't going to get you very far. If you're not going to join a gym, body weight training is the way to go. Two popular programs are Convict Conditioning and You Are Your Own Gym. Another is the beginner body weight program found here: https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

This looks good. Love in innovation without equipment. Thank you.

What does "sufficient protein" look like? I've heard 1 gram per pound of body weight. Is that sufficient for doing c25k every other day, and something like this on the off days? Do I need to eat that much protein on my run only days, or do you suggest this in addition to running?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    staciw wrote: »

This looks good. Love in innovation without equipment. Thank you.

What does "sufficient protein" look like? I've heard 1 gram per pound of body weight. Is that sufficient for doing c25k every other day, and something like this on the off days? Do I need to eat that much protein on my run only days, or do you suggest this in addition to running?

1 gram per pound is on the high side. I do about that but it's not necessary. .8-1g per pound of lean mass is fine too. You shouldn't cycle protein. Eat about the same everyday.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,618 Member
    Options
    I love the firm workouts, as well as Jillian Michaels and Denise Austin. You can find lots of their workouts on YouTube and use the equipment you already have. You will need to lift progressively over time, but it's a good start until you can acquire more weight lifting equipment.
  • hzl22
    hzl22 Posts: 157 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I agree with strength training.. You need to build your core muscles .. I would do this before lifting .. Body weight training sounds great and then once you feel strong then incoorporate lifting .. I'm no expert just my thoughts ..
  • tdeaux
    tdeaux Posts: 36 Member
    Options

I absolutely agree with everything that was said here.

It sounds like you are wanting to lose body fat. 1,200 calories is also really low. I have done this low before and was miserable. If you hit a plateau, where are you going to cut? You will either have to increase cardio or eat less. Which probably isn't doable. I follow if it fits your macros. I highly recommend doing some research on that.

For protein, I agree about .8-1 g for each pound of what weight you want to be. So for example, I wanted to be at 135 so I set my protein macros at 135 g.

Body weight exercises will help you. There are amazing free YouTube videos out there on this. I also like Jillian Michaels DVDs. Eventually, getting to a gym would be a great goal to work towards.

• staciw
    Options
    tdeaux wrote: »

It sounds like you are wanting to lose body fat. 1,200 calories is also really low. I have done this low before and was miserable. If you hit a plateau, where are you going to cut? You will either have to increase cardio or eat less. Which probably isn't doable. I follow if it fits your macros. I highly recommend doing some research on that.

For protein, I agree about .8-1 g for each pound of what weight you want to be. So for example, I wanted to be at 135 so I set my protein macros at 135 g.

Body weight exercises will help you. There are amazing free YouTube videos out there on this. I also like Jillian Michaels DVDs. Eventually, getting to a gym would be a great goal to work towards.

really helpful Thank you. And yes, Ive been becoming concerned with the 1200 calories. Im satisfied on 1200 calories, but I am sure I'll hit a plateau. I think I'll up my calories with the added protein and see how that goes. I think Im losing a little too quickly.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    staciw wrote: »
    tdeaux wrote: »

really helpful Thank you. And yes, Ive been becoming concerned with the 1200 calories. Im satisfied on 1200 calories, but I am sure I'll hit a plateau. I think I'll up my calories with the added protein and see how that goes. I think Im losing a little too quickly.

How tall are you and what's your weekly weight loss been over time?