Looking for a "lighter" way to have a cheeseburger, no tofu please!

Options
I really miss cheeseburgers..is there any leaner meat options, or vegetarian you would suggest?

What kind of bread do you use? I would like something preferably wholesome and low in calories!

Post your recipes below!!

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Why can't you just make a home made cheese burger with ground beef?

I personally prefer chicken burgers though.
  • tapwaters
    tapwaters Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Boca and gardein veggie patties have fewer calories and are really good.

Sprouted rye bread often only has 60 calories a slice.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    A leaner cut of beef, with a 150 calorie roll and slice of cheese is not THAT high in calories. Pair it with a salad and you can have your burger with a side for 600-700 calories.
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    You've always got lean ground beef or lean ground turkey, I like both. Cuts out a lot of the unnecessary calories from fat. I generally use a whole wheat bun but there isn't a calorie savings by using whole wheat. The calories in the bread are based on how big of a bun you use, same goes for the hamburger patty. You can easily make your own cheeseburger for 400-500 calories which should end up being a fairly healthy filling meal option. No reason to think you can't have things like this just because you're dieting.
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Use leaner beef and thinner buns. Also reduced fat cheese if you like it. They sell extra thin buns in the bread section at my local store, and I prefer them. The standard buns are too thick and I can't taste the beef very well.
  • MichelleLea122
    MichelleLea122 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    sxygup6hsnip.png

Calories/ Carbs/ Fat/ Protein/ Sugar/ Fiber

Something like this could work nicely. Under 300 calories without any additional toppings.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    sxygup6hsnip.png

Calories/ Carbs/ Fat/ Protein/ Sugar/ Fiber

Something like this could work nicely. Under 300 calories without any additional toppings.

Must find that bun.
  • CraigontheCoast
    CraigontheCoast Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    When I make us burgers I do them open-face, with just a bun on the bottom and plenty of veggies on top. Can usually even pick them up if I melt the cheese on top of everything to kind of seal it all together. Half the bread, with lean burgers.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Lets say you didnt use a light bun, thats another 80 calories for me using my favorite bread. I use the fat from the meat on non stick pan so no cooking spray for me. I also use some other low calorie spices - maybe even some siracha. My cheese might be 20 calories higher. Still only 360 using the example showed up. Taste much better than the typical fast food burgers as well which could easily be 500+ calories and packs more protein.
  • GotToBeMe11
    GotToBeMe11 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Surprisingly great tasting, super juicy turkey cheese burger recipe!!

1lb ground turkey
    1/2 package Lipton Recipe Secrets(Savory Herb with Garlic) Recipe Soup & Dip Mix
    5 oz, Frozen Spinach(liquid squeezed out)
    1/2 cup Mozzarella Cheese
    Combine all ingredients, form patties & cook, grill or bake!
    Enjoy!! <3
  • MinmoInk
    MinmoInk Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I would cut the cheese entirely, I used to love cheeseburgers so much but I switched to hamburgers since... Well I want to taste the juicy beef more anyway! I like to do it with some delicious mustard and onion and maybe a touch of ketchup with a nice relish or pickle! Burgers are awesome
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above posted about cutting the cheese. Also, I make turkey burgers rather than beef. They are AMAZING and better than any restaurant burger I've ever had. If I want to cut more calories, I do a lettuce wrap. I don't miss the cheese at all, and that's saying a lot because I would marry cheese if it were a person.

I suggest cutting up onions to add to the meat mixture, plus Worcestershire and mccormick's Montreal steak seasoning.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I use whole wheat Sandwich Thins instead of a bun or thick bread.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Ground chicken and ground turkey make for great burgers! You can put it atop a piece of whole grain bread and top with cheese for a patty melt.
  • 6502programmer
    6502programmer Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I like the chicken breast substitution at Red Robin.. I get two of them on my sandwich instead of a burger patty, and that thing does NOT leave me wanting.
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Have half a cheeseburger!
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Have half a cheeseburger!

I agree with this. Hubby and I do this.
  • caileag26
    caileag26 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I use lean ground beef and skip the bread. I put my burger on a salad and use ketchup as dressing then sprinkle it with parmasean for some cheese flavor. Sounds weird but works for me!
  • AmyMahan2016
    AmyMahan2016 Posts: 13 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I use 93/7 lean ground beef and lean ground turkey mix, kraft fat free cheedar, fresh garlic to taste, cayenne pepper and onion powder. I use sara lee delightful Multigrain bread. You get 2 slices for 90 calories!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Cheeseburger sounds to me like a rather low calorie option for a meal actually, without any weird substitutions. Get lean meat, do not use a ton of cheese sauce and you will be fine.