How much protein do we really need?

Options
Eleted
Eleted Posts: 121 Member
I'd love to know how much protein everyone is consuming. Everywhere , I hear and have read that to be healthy and lose weight, you must consume a great deal of protein. But when you read about people who live in the Blue Zones in the world and are living long and healthy lives, protein is not always a huge component of their meals. However, since limiting my calories, I really struggle with energy. What does everyone think?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I think balance and variety and overall nutrition, plus enjoyment, is more important than any single foods or nutrients. And that that's why a lot of different diets (as in what you feed yourself, not as in crazy fads) and macro splits can work, also for the same individual.

First of all, make sure you aren't eating too little. If you have chosen a too aggressive weight loss rate, your calorie goal may be too low to keep your energy up, and in time it will force you to give up. You can safely and realistically lose up to 1% of your body weight per week, as a rule of thumb.

I'm eating around 70 grams of protein per day (I'm in maintenance and don't track anymore, and varies from day to day, but on average I'm sure it's around there, I had that as a goal when losing weight) and I my weight range is 55-58 kilos (122-127 pounds).
  • DHLFITNESS25
    DHLFITNESS25 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    1 gram of protein per 1 pound of body weight. So if you weigh 115 pounds you consume 115 grams of protein.

Some people do as little as .8 and as high as 1.5(wouldn't go above that, not needed)

1g per pound is a good number!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    The 1g/lb is a good guide. Even if you end up at half that, it isn't really a problem. I used to eat on average one small piece of meat a day (and very little dairy or beans) but was active pretty much everyday so didn't get fat.

And too much is something like 600g a day if your kidneys are healthy.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    For people trying to lose weight, eating enough protein helps minimize the amount of muscle you're losing and maximize the amount of fat.
  • Wickedfaery73
    Wickedfaery73 Posts: 184 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I weigh 195lbs right now... I don't think I could that much protein! LOL and it would be half or more of current my daily calories. Someone once told me it was .6 to 1gram per pound of GOAL weight but I haven't researched that for myself. I have a hard time reaching my protein goal of %30
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Protein goal should be calculated from lean body mass. But what numbers to use, is the hot topic!
  • SFBMCBuck
    SFBMCBuck Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I am currently 243.8 lbs trying to get to 225. I spoke to a nutritionist and he recommended a 160/150/60 (p/c/f) without any calorie recommendations (MFP recommended 2070 daily calories). I have lost a total of 15.2 lbs in a month but have difficulty hitting my protein goals and staying within my caloric restrictions. I recently added protein powders (ISOPURE and PROMASS II) and have been doing better but rarely hitting 160 grams of protein. So, I have heard the 1 lbs per 1 lbs of bodyweight but not sure how that would be possible within a low calorie diet.
  • Eleted
    Options
    Thank you all. This is great information and regardless of the exact formula, I am falling way short on protein consumption. Yikes!
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I eat about 190-200g of protein a day at 205 lbs. Recommendation is 10-35% of calories from protein. Based on my average calories, protein is making up 30% of calories a day.

http://www.nationalacademies.org/hmd/Reports/2002/Dietary-Reference-Intakes-for-Energy-Carbohydrate-Fiber-Fat-Fatty-Acids-Cholesterol-Protein-and-Amino-Acids.aspx

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/calculate-protein-rda-2274.html
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    SFBMCBuck wrote: »
    I am currently 243.8 lbs trying to get to 225. I spoke to a nutritionist and he recommended a 160/150/60 (p/c/f) without any calorie recommendations (MFP recommended 2070 daily calories). I have lost a total of 15.2 lbs in a month but have difficulty hitting my protein goals and staying within my caloric restrictions. I recently added protein powders (ISOPURE and PROMASS II) and have been doing better but rarely hitting 160 grams of protein. So, I have heard the 1 lbs per 1 lbs of bodyweight but not sure how that would be possible within a low calorie diet.

That macro split results in 1,780 daily calories. You're correct, it's almost impossible to hit 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight (even lean body weight) at that much of a caloric restriction.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    it really depends on your goals you could more than likely get away with 50 grams a day and live a healthy life personally I like to carry a bit more muscle so keep mine at 150 and above. I enjoy foods that have a lot of protein (beef chicken fish shrimp crab legs) so protein and Fat are never an issue for me. I have just recently added more carbs into my diet (rice, pasta, beans, veggies) and now consume about 150 grams of carbs a day..
  • Wickedfaery73
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    I eat about 190-200g of protein a day at 205 lbs. Recommendation is 10-35% of calories from protein. Based on my average calories, protein is making up 30% of calories a day.

http://www.nationalacademies.org/hmd/Reports/2002/Dietary-Reference-Intakes-for-Energy-Carbohydrate-Fiber-Fat-Fatty-Acids-Cholesterol-Protein-and-Amino-Acids.aspx

How many calories a day are you eating?
  • withoutasaddle
    withoutasaddle Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    No no no. It's .8g of protein per KILOGRAMof body weight. Not pound. But even without weighing yourself the AMA CDC and others only set the AI levels at around 50, depending on age and gender
  • Eleted
    Options
    Recently went from1200 up to 1400 after 35 lb weight loss. I still have 10-15 lbs to loss. So according to the above calculations in the article I should hit around 70 grams of protein a day.
  • Wickedfaery73
    Options
    No no no. It's .8g of protein per KILOGRAMof body weight. Not pound. But even without weighing yourself the AMA CDC and others only set the AI levels at around 50, depending on age and gender

AHA! You are right, it's in the articles posted by Packerjohn. I am doing pretty good then because I would need about 89g of protein at 1g per KG
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    1gr per lb of lean mass.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Protein goal should be calculated from lean body mass. But what numbers to use, is the hot topic!

This.

Not 1g of protein per g of body weight. 1g of protein per gram of LEAN body weight.

Obviously it requires some guessing though. I just used 30% as I was losing, knowing that going over is great. Now I aim for 110g on my 1800 calorie goal (I'm 136 pounds). I'm still over most days though.
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I've always used these numbers based on activity levels (per lb of LBM)
    Sedentary - .5g
    Average - .6 (light activity, walking)
    Light activity - .7 (moderate 30 min vigarous activity 3x a week)
    Workout - .8 active (60 min a day 5x a week)
    Training - .9 very active (10 hrs per week of vigarous activity)
    Professional - 1.0
  • Packerjohn
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

How many calories a day are you eating?

2600-2700
  • Packerjohn
    Options

AHA! You are right, it's in the articles posted by Packerjohn. I am doing pretty good then because I would need about 89g of protein at 1g per KG

The 1g/kg will only get people to the lower level of the 10-35% calories from protein. I'm fairly active and want to maintain muscle mass so I got mid to upper end of the range.