How much do personal trainers cost?

Options
Can someone give me an idea of what they pay for a personal trainer? I would like to use one for a short time (4-5 months?) but am curious about a ballpark figure for cost. I know it will vary some, but what do others pay for a trainer? And how often do you see/workout with the person?

Replies

• amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Depends on whether you join a gym or you are just hiring one from a firm. I found the ones at the gym (even with discounted rates) cost between $30-$50 an hour. I'm sure this varies widely depending on where you live and what type of training you are doing.
    When I first started I hired one for 2-3 sessions a week for a month to establish a good routine and to get knowledge on how to use machines, what cardio to do and how often to take classes and which types. After I got into running and weight lifting I didn't need him any more, but I absolutely loved my time with him and he was constantly motivating me. Good luck!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,538 Member
    Options
    One average it's about $35-$60 an hour in the areas I've instructed at. Currently where I work, it's about $35 for a 30 minute session. They can go an hour for $60.
    How often you see them is up to you. Many of my clients see me 2 times a week. These are clients who have a lot of disposable income and wouldn't go to the gym on their own unless they had a session with me.
    Others may come once a week, get a session then do the same workout a couple of more times that week. Then next week we do something new.
    It really all depends on how you want to do it and what your overall goal is.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • LaurenCampbell2015
    LaurenCampbell2015 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm a level 3 personal trainer and for face to face personal training I charge £35 but it depends where you are in the city trainers cost from £50-£70
  • clehman71
    clehman71 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I have a personal trainer that I see 2-3 times a week for an hour each time. I pay $52/hour. Absolutely worth it!:)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    My trainer charges $50 per 60 minute session.
  • bmj2015
    bmj2015 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My trainer is $50 for a 45 min session. I see him 2x a week. It's high intensity strength training, he really knows his stuff and I'm seeing visible results quickly. Totally worth it for me for the results, and also to know I am working out safely.
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what part of the country you're in. In CA, $80-100 an hour is totally normal. In Mississippi, $30 was the going rate.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    This was very helpful. Thank you!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    Options
    My mom goes twice per week for "semi personal training." There may or may not be another trainee in her session. She's probably doing the '8 sessions per month, $179 monthly' plan. They vary the routine every month. She likes it a lot.

I once took a six-session small-group class at the Y. It was very affordable, and since then I've been comfortable walking into any strange gym and doing my thing.