12 lbs in 7 weeks possible?

Options
13»

Replies

• Iamhealthy35
    Iamhealthy35 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yes it is possible and everyone is different. All I can say is use your common sense in while eating. Cut out the extra sugars. Eat your proteins, fats and healthy carbs. I did HIIT for 2 weeks in a row and lost 7 lbs. But I drink about 90 ounces of water a day, eat protein immediately after intense workout, and never ate after 6PM. If I did, no carbs, greek yogurt(no sugar), cottage cheese or Casein protein. I made sure I ate no more than 1200-1400 a day depending on my workout levels. My HIIT days were 1400 cals max. Good luck. BUt do enjoy yourself even if you don't meet that goal. You will feel good anyways! I don't always diet like this but I don't change my habits even when done with it.
  • reyoflightphoto
    reyoflightphoto Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Here's the deal. 850 deficit is doable. However, you should make exercise a part of your plan. Long walks or walks with alternate running, dancing around the house even. Move around, get your heart rate up for 30+ minutes a day. Fitbits are helpful for tracking this if you can afford an HR I love mine. Log your food to a T on MFP. Weigh everything and be honest. Put your exercise in to get credit for it and you can eat more. Most important though: MAKE SURE YOU GET ENOUGH PROTEIN!! MFP will tell you what you are getting if you enter in your foods. You should probably shoot for 70-80g of protein which means most of your food will be lean meat. Your other foods should be veggies and fruits. You can do it. It's plenty safe if you do it right.
    Key things to be safe:
    Get enough protein. I can help you with ideas if you like. (This is what keeps you from losing muscle) Resistance training would help too. Push-ups, squats, sit-ups, if you don't have weights. Plenty of body weight workouts online.
    Eat plenty of veggies.
    Get 30+ minutes of activity a day, if you need a treat, exercise more but don't over do it!
    Drink lots of water.
    Use the tools on MFP.
    If you want help, you can friend me. I won't be available from April 7th -probably the 20th though. Getting eye surgery and won't be able to look at the screen for a while.
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    I should also add that OP seems to be pretty active, meaning that her TDEE is going to be a lot higher that 1600.

@Katie_Y89 -- I don't have your stats, but your goal seems doable to me. It may not be the most fun 7 weeks of your life, but if you really want to try for 12 lbs, then i think that it is entirely doable. During the last 2-3 weeks before the event, try to aim for around 40% carbs (whole grains), avoid excess sodium (aim for 1500-2000 mg) and stay hydrated and you will either see a water weight loss, or at the very least, avoid water weight gain. You may not make 12 lbs, but there's no reason you can't try for it if its something you want. Afterwards, opt for a more reasonable loss like 1-1.5 lbs a week.

@CassidyScaglione do you know what happens when you lose weight too fast?

You lose lean muscle along with fat and water weight.

and if it's done over a period of time lets say a couple months you get thinning hair, nails and it can lead to brittle bones in women...

Nutrition and health are as important as getting the "excess" weight off and suggesting that someone try to do just that is a smh moment for me for sure.

I am an active 43 year old woman who had a TDEE of 2000-2400 (depending on the season) but I wouldn't even dream of trying to lose 2lbs a week or even 1.5lbs a week...

ETA: depending on total amount to lose even 1 to 1.5 may not be the best suggestion.

I'm not advocating she lose weight too fast... 1.7 lbs a week is not too fast. There are people on here eating at 1200 calories because MFP tells them that this is fine and reasonable... and I'm not even doing that. An 850 deficit is not a fun deficit, but there are people on here who are on much higher deficits without being malnutritioned and dying. There are weight loss challenges on here with people aiming to lose 10 lbs a month. This is nothing compared to that.

with 30lbs to lose 1lb a week is more than enough and you are advocating 1.7...that is too fast.

Just because others do it in an unhealthy manner doesn't mean I will sit by and let someone advocate it.

The ones with higher deficits are bigger and can sustain the higher deficit. Even when I had 40lbs to lose it was 1lb a week.

And btw trying to lose 8 lbs vs 10 in a month...not a huge difference.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23076670

Here is a study that speaks to losing LBM from being to aggressive in the weight loss goals and how it can cause weight regain

You're standing by and letting dozens of people advocate it. I count at least 5 people on this thread who agree that it is possible. I only see you arguing with me because i put an actual value in for deficit. You are standing by and letting MFP advocate it, because regardless of the weight that people are starting at, it allows them to set a goal of 2lbs/week weight loss, and routinely sets people at an intake of 1200 calories regardless of their weight. I was given 1200, which would put me at a huge deficit if i followed it, well over 850, despite having a starting weight 190. I don't suppose you spend alot of time writing to MFP complaining about malnutrition to them.

1.7 lbs a week is 6.8 lbs a month, not eight.

And finally, an 850 deficit is not going to cause malnutrition. OP will be hungry. If she wants to sustain it, then she will have to seek out filling foods that can reduce that feeling, and she will have to put up with a pretty strict diet for a month and half. But her number isn't unrealistic, and her hair isn't going to fall out, and her nails aren't going to snap off from eating at that deficit for seven weeks. It just isn't. Half of MFP would be bald and nailless if it were that easy.

I've seen unreasonable goals before, people looking to lose 30 lbs in two months, or 60 lbs in three months, or getting disappointed when they only lose 2 lbs a week. Those people are unrealistic. OP's goal is challenging, but it isn't unreasonable when half the women on here are eating 1200 calories a day regardless of their starting or goal weights.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Yes it is possible and everyone is different. All I can say is use your common sense in while eating. Cut out the extra sugars. Eat your proteins, fats and healthy carbs. I did HIIT for 2 weeks in a row and lost 7 lbs. But I drink about 90 ounces of water a day, eat protein immediately after intense workout, and never ate after 6PM. If I did, no carbs, greek yogurt(no sugar), cottage cheese or Casein protein. I made sure I ate no more than 1200-1400 a day depending on my workout levels. My HIIT days were 1400 cals max. Good luck. BUt do enjoy yourself even if you don't meet that goal. You will feel good anyways! I don't always diet like this but I don't change my habits even when done with it.
    Timing and not eating certain foods after xx time doesn't matter for weight loss.
    sdeeb1950 wrote: »
    Totally possible if you do a 9 day Isagenix cleanse - I lost 7 lbs in 9 days and it is very healthy. Spendy but worth it. I love their greens and Ionix Supreme. You can actually drink their greens with just water and it doesn't taste bad like most do. Yes, I am an associate, but NO I'm not trying to get you to sign up under me. Just something that has worked for me the last couple of years. I am an associate only because I can get it at wholesale and I love their products.
    OP... don't listen to this carp.

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I should also add that OP seems to be pretty active, meaning that her TDEE is going to be a lot higher that 1600.

@Katie_Y89 -- I don't have your stats, but your goal seems doable to me. It may not be the most fun 7 weeks of your life, but if you really want to try for 12 lbs, then i think that it is entirely doable. During the last 2-3 weeks before the event, try to aim for around 40% carbs (whole grains), avoid excess sodium (aim for 1500-2000 mg) and stay hydrated and you will either see a water weight loss, or at the very least, avoid water weight gain. You may not make 12 lbs, but there's no reason you can't try for it if its something you want. Afterwards, opt for a more reasonable loss like 1-1.5 lbs a week.

@CassidyScaglione do you know what happens when you lose weight too fast?

You lose lean muscle along with fat and water weight.

and if it's done over a period of time lets say a couple months you get thinning hair, nails and it can lead to brittle bones in women...

Nutrition and health are as important as getting the "excess" weight off and suggesting that someone try to do just that is a smh moment for me for sure.

I am an active 43 year old woman who had a TDEE of 2000-2400 (depending on the season) but I wouldn't even dream of trying to lose 2lbs a week or even 1.5lbs a week...

ETA: depending on total amount to lose even 1 to 1.5 may not be the best suggestion.

I'm not advocating she lose weight too fast... 1.7 lbs a week is not too fast. There are people on here eating at 1200 calories because MFP tells them that this is fine and reasonable... and I'm not even doing that. An 850 deficit is not a fun deficit, but there are people on here who are on much higher deficits without being malnutritioned and dying. There are weight loss challenges on here with people aiming to lose 10 lbs a month. This is nothing compared to that.

with 30lbs to lose 1lb a week is more than enough and you are advocating 1.7...that is too fast.

Just because others do it in an unhealthy manner doesn't mean I will sit by and let someone advocate it.

The ones with higher deficits are bigger and can sustain the higher deficit. Even when I had 40lbs to lose it was 1lb a week.

And btw trying to lose 8 lbs vs 10 in a month...not a huge difference.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23076670

Here is a study that speaks to losing LBM from being to aggressive in the weight loss goals and how it can cause weight regain

You're standing by and letting dozens of people advocate it. I count at least 5 people on this thread who agree that it is possible. I only see you arguing with me because i put an actual value in for deficit. You are standing by and letting MFP advocate it, because regardless of the weight that people are starting at, it allows them to set a goal of 2lbs/week weight loss, and routinely sets people at an intake of 1200 calories regardless of their weight. I was given 1200, which would put me at a huge deficit if i followed it, well over 850, despite having a starting weight 190. I don't suppose you spend alot of time writing to MFP complaining about malnutrition to them.

1.7 lbs a week is 6.8 lbs a month, not eight.

And finally, an 850 deficit is not going to cause malnutrition. OP will be hungry. If she wants to sustain it, then she will have to seek out filling foods that can reduce that feeling, and she will have to put up with a pretty strict diet for a month and half. But her number isn't unrealistic, and her hair isn't going to fall out, and her nails aren't going to snap off from eating at that deficit for seven weeks. It just isn't. Half of MFP would be bald and nailless if it were that easy.

I've seen unreasonable goals before, people looking to lose 30 lbs in two months, or 60 lbs in three months, or getting disappointed when they only lose 2 lbs a week. Those people are unrealistic. OP's goal is challenging, but it isn't unreasonable when half the women on here are eating 1200 calories a day regardless of their starting or goal weights.

Technically it's 7.5...

1.7/7=.24lbs a dayx31

Did you read the study?

It is possible no agrumen there...you are one of the few saying "GO FOR IT"

the deficit for a total of 30lbs is to high...why be hungry if you don't have to be and still lose fat instead of lean mass and water and fat.

How does MFP advocate VLCD? as a matter of fact if those are mentioned mods get rid of the threads...

The calories given are based on weekly weight loss goals and stats and if you enter to high of a goal it won't go below 1200.

As a matter of fact my hair did fall out over a course of 2 months of not eating enough so tell me again how it doesn't happen? and nails did get brittle and break and snap off...

You have to look at their starting weight to determine if it's unreasonable.

Someone with 100lbs to lose sure 30lbs in 2 months is reasonable..but 30lbs to start with 1lb a week is most reasonable.

the max rate suggested by most peer reviewed studies is 25% of your TDEE...so my TDEE atm is 2000 so my current deficit is 500 but i eat back exercise calories...come summer with running etc my TDEE is 2400...should I continue to eat 1500? hell no. I will be eating 2k.

And btw they may log 1200 but most don't use a food scale so most are eating about 1500 give or take.

Yes it is possible to lose 12lbs in 7 weeks...all I am saying is it's not healthy...you are arguing it's fine...you are wrong.

and with that I am out can't force ignorance out of some....ignorance is lack of knowledge btw so don't claim I called you a name...

OP you are going to do what you want...I know from personal experience the ramifications of not eating enough and losing too fast...and chances are if you take to steep of a deficit you will regain some of what you lost if not all because of the steep deficit.

My rule is lose as much weight as reasonable without being hungry...why add insult to injury.

Don't punish yourself for gaining some weight with hunger just accept you have a few lbs to lose and go for a reasonable deficit you will be happier for it.
  • Katie_Y89
    Katie_Y89 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Timing and not eating certain foods after xx time doesn't matter for weight loss.
    sdeeb1950 wrote: »
    Totally possible if you do a 9 day Isagenix cleanse - I lost 7 lbs in 9 days and it is very healthy. Spendy but worth it. I love their greens and Ionix Supreme. You can actually drink their greens with just water and it doesn't taste bad like most do. Yes, I am an associate, but NO I'm not trying to get you to sign up under me. Just something that has worked for me the last couple of years. I am an associate only because I can get it at wholesale and I love their products.
    OP... don't listen to this carp.

Didn't to begin with :)

• Katie_Y89
    Options
    @CassidyScaglione
    As much as I'd like it to be, I'm not that active. I'm lucky to get a 30 min work out in in the mornings and that's if the toddler is cooperative. Right now I'm only eating 1300\day (without adding exercise).
  • CassidyScaglione
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Katie_Y89 wrote: »
    @CassidyScaglione
    As much as I'd like it to be, I'm not that active. I'm lucky to get a 30 min work out in in the mornings and that's if the toddler is cooperative. Right now I'm only eating 1300\day (without adding exercise).

Then your activity is different than what you implied at the beginning of this post:
    I usually do a 30min woekout dvd in the am then do treadmill at night (fast pace walking) for 30-60 min.
    Diet is a struggle but plan on cleaning it up immensely

If you are already at 1300 then i wouldn't recommend doing more. What is your TDEE and average loss?
  • Katie_Y89
    Options
    @CassidyScaglione

Then your activity is different than what you implied at the beginning of this post:

My activity isn't much different. I wouldn't consider 30 min workout DVD and 30-60 min on the treadmill "pretty active". It just doesn't seem like enough to me
    I usually do a 30min woekout dvd in the am then do treadmill at night (fast pace walking) for 30-60 min.

If you are already at 1300 then i wouldn't recommend doing more. What is your TDEE and average loss?

I have no idea what TDEE is
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    @CassidyScaglione

My activity isn't much different. I wouldn't consider 30 min workout DVD and 30-60 min on the treadmill "pretty active". It just doesn't seem like enough to me

TDEE is Total Daily Energy Expenditure. Calories burned all day including exercise.

Don't worry about it really, it's a good thing to use when you are doing exercise that is hard to tally the actual calorie burn such as weight lifting.

MFP gave you a calorie goal expecting you to eat back exercise calories, until you become more educated I would suggest you continue with that.

• Katie_Y89
    Options
    @CassidyScaglione

TDEE is Total Daily Energy Expenditure. Calories burned all day including exercise.

Don't worry about it really, it's a good thing to use when you are doing exercise that is hard to tally the actual calorie burn such as weight lifting.

MFP gave you a calorie goal expecting you to eat back exercise calories, until you become more educated I would suggest you continue with that.

Thanks! I wouldn't even know where to begin to calculate a TDEE honestly. I don't own a fitbit or anything fancy lol! I just do use the mfp Cal's burned for exercises

• CassidyScaglione
    Options
    @CassidyScaglione

http://dailyburn.com/life/health/how-to-calculate-bmr/

This calculates TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) and BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate). TDEE is what you burn every day doing your regular routine, and increases when you do more. The website explains it really well.

Since you are already at 1300 intake, going lower is not feasible. But you can try to bring your TDEE up by exercising more.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    @CassidyScaglione

Thanks! I wouldn't even know where to begin to calculate a TDEE honestly. I don't own a fitbit or anything fancy lol! I just do use the mfp Cal's burned for exercises

Yah TDEE is typically a standard thing used by those who have been at this for a while. Esp those of us who lift.

There are websites but those are so unreliable and can over estimate big time.

Just continue with this site and logging exercise.

The fat will come off...just make sure it's the fat you are losing and not lean muscle mass and that means not trying to get it off too fast.

You will lose a bit at first (water weight) and that helps but as someone mentioned get a nice flattering dress and shaper for underneath...I did that all the time while I was losing.

• CassidyScaglione
    Options
    I would still recommend reducing carbs and sodium intake in the weeks before the event, as this will help you shed any water weight that you are carrying. (The reason atkins is so popular is that cutting carbs has this initial effect and everybody on it is excited to see a fast initial weight drop.)
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Are you not going to wedding if you don't lose the weight? Don't make yourself miserable during the process.
  • echohwa
    echohwa Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    tbh it's really going to depend on some different factors. How much are you exercising? Do you log everything you eat and drink, and do you weigh it? Also, two major factors are your bmi and your metabolism. If you're obese, 10-12 lbs in 7 weeks is usually perfectly healthy. But for someone who is barely overweight, it may be tougher. They say 0.5-2 lbs weekly lost is optimal, and that'd be 3.5-14lbs in 7 weeks, so yes, 10-12 lbs in 7 weeks is doable.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Stick with your 1300 calories a day if you are functioning ok on that. Eat some exercise calories back if you are (a) miserable on 1300 or (2) feeling more tired than usual. Take a daily multivitamin (it's difficult to get appropriate micronutrients at that calorie level). Weigh all solid food and measure all liquids so that your calorie intake estimate is as close to real as possible. Keep running after your toddler. You should see a weight loss if you are tracking intake ok and it will be what it will be :)
  • Shellymarie604
    Shellymarie604 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Yes totally possible. I lost 6 in my first week. I am guessing a lot was water weight. Watch your sugar, carbs, processed foods and booze and get plenty of walks and exercise. Everyone is different but you stick to your goal and just do it.
  • Shellymarie604
    Shellymarie604 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Also what Cassidy said. Closer to event cut back on sodium and keep your carbs to 50 grams or under if you can. Similar to ketosis diet.