Nootropics

Options
NA1979
NA1979 Posts: 223 Member
Does anyone here have any experience with nootropics, any recommendations? I heard L theanine and caffeine is quite a good combo for calmness and rest, but what about cognition etc?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Caffeine for calmness and rest? Really?
  • NA1979
    Options
    Yeah, well apparently when combined with L theanine, it give you the benefits of caffeine but takes away the jitters, is what I've been reading anyway.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Their use as smart pills, however, is dubious from a plausibility standpoint and lacks sufficient evidence.

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/the-pied-piper-of-nootropics/

I'd be extremely skeptical until there's a solid body of peer reviewed trials.......if they worked it would be brilliant (and I'm even more skeptical of OTC supplements as they don't have to undergo any trails or testing for safety and efficacy before being sold to the public)
  • NA1979
    Options
    Their use as smart pills, however, is dubious from a plausibility standpoint and lacks sufficient evidence.

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/the-pied-piper-of-nootropics/

I'd be extremely skeptical until there's a solid body of peer reviewed trials.......if they worked it would be brilliant (and I'm even more skeptical of OTC supplements as they don't have to undergo any trails or testing for safety and efficacy before being sold to the public)

I agree, I've read some horror stories!
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    A pill will only make your wallet thin.
    Does nothing for weight loss.
  • NA1979
    Options
    Illegal or not, don't buy drugs or supplements from the internet.

Do you mean any supplements, even whey protein?
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I do not even buy whey protein of the internet.
    I buy from stores I can trust.
    You don't live near a Target, walmart, GNC? Sam's club, Costco?
    If you buy from a store, you can easily return it if you don't like the taste.
    Many protein powders contain ingredients from China (avoid those).
  • NA1979
    Options
    There are reputable online supplement companies, such as myprotein in the UK for example... The shop prices are extortionate!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    NA1979 wrote: »
    There are reputable online supplement companies, such as myprotein in the UK for example... The shop prices are extortionate!

Ha it's the opposite here in Oz, it's often cheaper to go to the store, plus you don't have pay the extra $10 for shipping.