depressed

Options
Feeling so depressed. I can't seem to loose any weight. I even upped my calories. And changed my macros so I'm not eatting as many carbs, thinking that will help but it's not. I wanted to loose at least 10-15 pounds by my anniversary but that's not going to happen. I'm so depressed and frustrated

Replies

• djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    What is your intake vs burned?

How are you measuring your food? What is your activity level?
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Do you use food scale to weigh everything you eat?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Do you use food scale to weigh everything you eat?

^This. Are you using a food scale?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    you probably need to eat more.
  • tanyalevan
    tanyalevan Posts: 182
    Options
    It's all trial and error at the beginning! You don't always find what works for you straight away so just trying different things is a great start!

Maybe try looking up a meal plan online that is targeted to what you need eg: Weight loss, Fat loss, Toning.
    and follow it as much as you can! Then later start exercising.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I just glanced at our diary and you are not very consistent with the amount you are eating.

Just to let you know -

MFP's calculations already include a deficit. Creating too large a deficit by eating less than the # they give you or not eating your exercise calories back, can be counterproductive.

MFP is designed for users to eat their exercise calories back. The formula can be found on the goals page. Maybe recalculate and make sure you choose the right activity level as well as make sure that you pick 1lb/week loss, not 2lbs

ETA: Also rely more on measurements versus the scale #. The scale is very unreliable due to food intake and water retention.
  • StrongAndHealthyMommy
    StrongAndHealthyMommy Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    weight is only a number, and muscles weights more than fat... are you measuring your body???
  • Maddius
    Maddius Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Sorry to tell you Tweety (love the name), but depressed and frustrated won't change anything. I too haven't had huge shifts .... YET.
    But it Will happen for me, just as it will happen for you.

If what you're doing with nutrition and exercise isn't doing it, then change it. On MFP there are Lots of folk who Have been successful and they're wonderful with the advice, so seek them out, and try new stuff. But NEVER, EVER Give up!
    Each day is a new one, so that means fresh challenges and fresh ideas, keep moving.
    First thing first is Change the Mindset, you may not be where you want to be by your Anniversary, but guess what I'm betting your Husband loves you anyway.

I'm not sure if this is correct or not, but my current thoughts are any change to macros and calories need 4-6 weeks to be able to assess the effects. Hopefully the more learned here will either endorse or debunk me on this one.

Good luck and please Keep Doing.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    So I looked through your diary. Not trying to be rude, but you kinda eat like crap.

- You aren't eating enough. One day, your NET intake wasn't even 800 calories. Eat according to your activity level. FEED your BODY!

- When you do eat, it's *mostly* a bunch of processed junk. Not trying to say that eating perfectly "clean" is the only way, but incorporating more fruits, veggies, and lean protein could help.

- Are you exercising? I didn't look. Sorry. I just thought I never saw any "you've earned ''' calories from exercise today" anywhere.

- Do you weigh your food? I see a lot of what looks like estimates.

- Create more realistic goals for yourself. The weight isn't just going to slide off overnight. How long have you been at this?

ETA: Oops, I see the exercise now. Sorry. :)
    The calorie burns seem a little high. MFP calculations are vastly overestimated. Do you use a HRM?
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Never mind about measuring. I just looked at your diary and most of what you eat are processed food products. You are getting very little nutrition and tonn of processed carbs. I don't know how you can ever be full, have lasting energy or not be crashing very shortly after your meals.
  • xinit0
    xinit0 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    weight is only a number, and muscles weights more than fat... are you measuring your body???

What's heavier, a pound of feathers, or a pound of rocks?

Muscle is more dense, takes up less space, but a pound of it weighs just as much as a pound of fat.
  • StrongAndHealthyMommy
    StrongAndHealthyMommy Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options

What's heavier, a pound of feathers, or a pound of rocks?

Muscle is more dense, takes up less space, but a pound of it weighs just as much as a pound of fat.

Im talking about by volume... if you get the same volume for fat and muscle which one will weight more??? :tongue:
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is a marathon not a sprint. We all have our bad days and months! Try to be consistent - I know that's something I'm bad about. Invest in a heart rate monitor, or something like a BodyMedia or FitBit to get accurate calorie burns so you know how much you really should be eating.

I get bummed when I don't lose, or when I gain, but when I look at the big picture, I've lost, not gained.

Good luck :)
  • Tweety1983
    Tweety1983 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    OK! to answer some questions. Yes I do exercise and I have a heart rate monitor, plus I don't sit down from the time I get up to the time I go to bed. I don't eat a lot of processed foods. I cook everything from scratch. When I do eat something processed its because Im short on time... I average 6 hours of sleep a night. I do weigh my food. And no matter what I set my MFP goals at, it sets me at 1200 calories. I did that a year ago, lost 19 pounds and lots of inches. Got sick with bronchitis for 3 months and a stomach issue for two and was advised to not work out and I barely could eat! Only been back strong for two months.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    OK! to answer some questions. Yes I do exercise and I have a heart rate monitor, plus I don't sit down from the time I get up to the time I go to bed. I don't eat a lot of processed foods. I cook everything from scratch. When I do eat something processed its because Im short on time... I average 6 hours of sleep a night. I do weigh my food. And no matter what I set my MFP goals at, it sets me at 1200 calories. I did that a year ago, lost 19 pounds and lots of inches. Got sick with bronchitis for 3 months and a stomach issue for two and was advised to not work out and I barely could eat! Only been back strong for two months.

I don't see many 'made from scratch' items in your daily menus.

If you're that active, you're not setting MFP up properly. You should be set at Moderate to Highly Active. If you choose the RECOMMENDED 1 lb loss each week, the 1200 should disappear.

If you'd like a less confusing way to track your intake without bothering with what you're burning: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013
  • Jas46219
    Jas46219 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hang in there ... it's hard to change your diet.... I've been working on mind and I know it's not easy.

I only looked at a couple of days on your food diary and noted that you're not eating enough protein ... I'd suggest cutting back on fats and carbs and eat more protein. You're exercising so you need the protein to build muscle. Muscle is GOOD. Muscle burns more calories than fat does.

1200 calories is generally recommended as the minimum number of calories a woman should eat each day simply to survive... meaning, if you did nothing at all but lay in bed all day, you need 1200 calories. If you're exercising as an active mom pretty much has to then you need 1200 calories PLUS whatever you're burning off each day caring for children. Just be sure they're good calories :)
  • summersbest
    summersbest Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Your daily protein goals are all over the board as is your actual intake. You definitely need to increase your protein, especially if you are active all day. Your body may be in starvation mode which would explain why you aren't loosing any weight. ~
  • kaylalryan
    kaylalryan Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I must be looking at the wrong diary... I see a lot of crap food. McDonalds, hot fudge sundaes, velveeta dinners.

Your body is not getting the nutrients that it needs.

If you are giving your body crap, you are going to get crappy results no matter how hard you try. Period.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    I must be looking at the wrong diary... I see a lot of crap food. McDonalds, hot fudge sundaes, velveeta dinners.

If you are giving your body crap, you are going to get crappy results no matter how hard you try. Period.

I eat ice cream all the time. I eat chocolate at least 5 days a week. I drink alcohol. I try my hardest to keep my calories and macros under control, and I'm losing weight. I'm an IIFYM person, as well as my own weird version of IF, and I don't buy into "clean eating". Hell, I drank 'til the cows came home last week, as well as eating what even I consider "crap" that I didn't even bother logging, and lost 2 pounds. I ate crap, I still got good results. Explain, please :smile:
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    This is not about you, it's about the OP, who is not seeing any progress and crap food has a lot to do with it.

I eat ice cream all the time. I eat chocolate at least 5 days a week. I drink alcohol. I try my hardest to keep my calories and macros under control, and I'm losing weight. I'm an IIFYM person, as well as my own weird version of IF, and I don't buy into "clean eating". Hell, I drank 'til the cows came home last week, as well as eating what even I consider "crap" that I didn't even bother logging, and lost 2 pounds. I ate crap, I still got good results. Explain, please :smile: