Fighting the panic

Options
I've been at maintenance for about a month. So far, I've kept in my chosen range but how do I keep from being dissatisfied that the scale is no longer moving down? Also, any way to fight that panicked feeling that occurs when you near the upper limits of your weight range?

Replies

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,711 Member
    Options
    Transitioning to maintenance is a tough thing simply due to what you mentioned: the scale is no longer moving down so it feels like you're stagnant or stuck. My suggestion is to start setting fitness goals. Setting goals as to what your body can do now that you've reached your goal weight range is quite satisfying. As is watching small changes if you lift weights.
  • Fursian
    Fursian Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    These are really good questions, looking forward to reading all responses.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    New goals that don't involve weight perhaps?
    Citius, Altius, Fortius.

Also trust the maths that worked when you were losing - they still apply in maintenance.
    Stay vigilant but not obsessive
  • tryin2die2self
    tryin2die2self Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Non-Scale Victories, NSVs, I believe would take the place of watching the numbers on the scale drop. Set yourself some goals and the push towards achieving them. It could be something like a C25K or B210K program, increased rep/weights at the gym, getting more flexible (yoga ftw), etc. Losing the weight should not be the end all and be all of this journey. It should be about getting more fit, which is a lifelong endeavor.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I know the feeling; losing weight is easy, and gaining weight is easy; it's the maintaining that's tricky - but trust me, it gets better. I've been in this phase for 17 months now. I set a new goal - my weight to be the same today as one month ago. In the beginning I did a modification of something I was good at - mini-diets - letting myself reach the top level and then cutting back. I have a meal plan that works well when I stick to it, and it works well, so I stick to it. Whenever my weight drops, I know I can eat some more treats, and when my weight goes up, I stop the treats for a while, and the weight floats back down. My range is 3 kilos, but I tend to stay mostly in the middle one.

The sensation of "normal weight" is amazing, I enjoy it and wonder every day. I weigh every day and just take a note of the reading. I use Trendweight, but it's kinda confusing when I'm not actively losing.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    alizesmom wrote: »
    I've been at maintenance for about a month. So far, I've kept in my chosen range but how do I keep from being dissatisfied that the scale is no longer moving down? Also, any way to fight that panicked feeling that occurs when you near the upper limits of your weight range?

Yep, been there! Welcome to the club!

You're right, the only way to measure success before was watching that scale tick down slowly, day by day, week by week. Now, there is no real way to "measure" your success, right? You feel rudderless, no way to measure yourself. How do you manage something that has no measurable gauge of success?

That's because you need new goals! You lost the weight! Congratulations! This is the Promised Land! The place you worked so hard to get to, but now that you're here you have no idea what to do with yourself! Problem is, you need a new goal! Not just a scale goal, but new life goals! You have this new body, but do you really want to spend every day getting on the scale and watching... nothing happen? Bleh! How about using that new body for new goals? Fitness goals! Try a new activity! Train for a 5K, or take up cycling, or try to do 10 pushups, 50, 100! Want to rock that 6-pack for summer? Go for it! How about hiking? Canoeing? Scuba diving? Find something new to work towards and go for it!

Weight loss is linear and measurable, maintenance isn't. In maintenance you can eat a cheeseburger and it's not a sin. You get to LIVE your life now, but its a balancing act that will be a new skill to develop. But you have to find new goals to focus on other than watching the scale go down or you will stop maintaining and you will slide back towards your old self. I guarantee it. This is why people lose and gain and lose and gain (yo-yo). They can't find a new goal to carry them the rest of the way. Or better yet, find more than one goal!

Set new goals for yourself and you will find maintenance opening all kinds of new doors for you! Good luck!
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    This is what's always tripped me up. I've always been good at getting the weight off, but I never knew what to do with myself after. This time I've set fitness goals because even though I've hit maintenance, there are still things I'd like to work on...namely losing some of the remaining jiggle and overall strengthening.

Congratulations on hitting your goal! :smile:
  • veggiecanner
    veggiecanner Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I'm tired of the scale moving down. Every time it does I have to get new clothes. Any time it wants to stop will be all right with me.
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    When it comes to looking at the scale, we have to redefine success. When we're losing, success means that the number on the scale is moving down over time. If it's not, we figure out what we have to change in order to get it to move down. In maintenance, success means that the scale is not moving outside of our goal range. So if we get on the scale and our weight is within that range - even if we put on a pound or two - we have succeeded! That's a hard thing for many people to wrap their minds around, which is why maintenance can cause so much anxiety or fear.
  • alizesmom
    alizesmom Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    When it comes to looking at the scale, we have to redefine success. When we're losing, success means that the number on the scale is moving down over time. If it's not, we figure out what we have to change in order to get it to move down. In maintenance, success means that the scale is not moving outside of our goal range. So if we get on the scale and our weight is within that range - even if we put on a pound or two - we have succeeded! That's a hard thing for many people to wrap their minds around, which is why maintenance can cause so much anxiety or fear.

You're right. Something I need to work on. Thanks to everyone else as well. I like the idea of setting new goals, maybe time to think about a non diet/exercise one.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Its early days for you and you will get your head round the scale staying a similar weight, it just takes time to transition from that losing phase to aiming to stay around goal weight by say +/- 2-5 lbs.

I really enjoy maintenance, more so for the fact that I can eat as much as I do and maintain easily. I hope you find your balance too, you have done so well @alizesmom :smile:
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I'm tired of the scale moving down. Every time it does I have to get new clothes. Any time it wants to stop will be all right with me.

You know what you have to do then @veggiecanner - eat more :smiley:
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    alizesmom wrote: »

In addition to setting fitness goals (watching the numbers go up as you get stronger is just as satisfying as watching the number on the scale go down), as everyone has mentioned here, I like to look in my closet and remind myself that everything fits. That might sound silly, but for years getting dressed meant thinking about which items of clothing would be comfortable. I'm no fashion plate, but I've bought a few really nice things that I love, and they are good motivation for me.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    This is pretty much while I'm on a constant cut... that way I minimize the damage from days when I overeat, lol.