Starting to believe i might become a "runner" (kudos to c25k!)

Options
I've never been a runner. When i was younger and in relatively decent shape, i hated running. When i started smoking and eventually packed on the pounds, it was out of the question. I've been smoke-free for a couple years, and i've lost a bit over 40 lbs through CICO; not done, but a good chunk.

So i find myself having agreed to a 5k walk/run, and it's about a month away. I've registered and paid, and will be going with my girlfriend and a group of our friends, so i'm pretty committed to at least trudging along to completion.

But i'd like to do more than trudge. I'd like to challenge myself a bit. But i'm not a runner... so I downloaded one of the many free c25k apps for my phone, and have started at it.

I'm only a week into it. It hasn't been easy, exactly, and I know there are some challenges ahead of me. But damned if the gradual introduction to running/jogging, coordinated by my phone as a timer, isn't clearly helping already!

On my first run, i started off proud, knocking out the first few one-minute running sessions feeling great, but my lungs and legs were hurting during the final few sets.

On my second run, i confused an incoming text for the "run" chime, and ran a little more than the program called for. i was about to question the timer, when the "start running!" prompt actually toned, and i swallowed my complaints and chugged along.

Yesterday, on my third run, I paced myself well, was breathing better, and finished the 1/2 hour run/walk feeling energized. Today is the rest day between week 1 and week 2, and I'm actually finding myself resisting the urge to go out and run anyway. I will find some other healthy use of this time, while I adhere to the program and let my legs rest.

I'm excited about learning to breath better. I find myself curious about running, and thinking about my performance, and the possibility of another 5k down the road.

Just wanted to share my vague sense of pride, accomplishment, and bewildered excitement at the prospect of being able (and willing!) to run!

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Good effort. I started running with C25K podcasts about three years ago, and have several half marathons under my belt now. It's just a question of taking your time, and managing your expectations.
  • stellabest99
    stellabest99 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    That's awesome... I started running over Easter.. mostly by accident! I swear I just went out for my usual evening walk to get the last 3k of my 12k steps for the day and the next thing I knew I was running lampposts (you know, the old scout's pace, run one, walk one). My thighs are sore from running 3 days in a row but I feel great. I have always wanted to be able to say "I'm just going out for a run!" I'm an asthmatic and that has held me back for years but I'm refusing to use that excuse any more.
    So if you want someone in your corner cheering you on and going thru similar pain, I'll be your MFP friend :-)
    And just so you know, if you have the MapMyFitness app on your phone, there are several challenges on there I signed up for that basically reward you for doing what you are already doing... I call that a win!!! I have already made the decision to do at least 5 5km charity runs next year (coz the season is pretty much over here in NZ for the year).
  • mommazach
    mommazach Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! That's exactly how I started jogging too. My first 5K was last year and this year my goal is at least 5 of them, along with a obstacle course challenge. c25K is the app I started with also. It's success rate is very high. Best of luck to you on your determination to continue. It's a blast and just Wait until you finish your first one. It's definitely addictive!
  • wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Many thanks for your kind encouragement!

Stellabest99 - i'd never heard the "scout's pace" before, thanks for the new term! That was what i first did as i started getting healthy. At first it was all i could do to run from one lamp post to the next, and my chest burned something fierce as i walked the next couple.

This morning i pushed into week 2 of c25K, and under my program, that meant sustained runs for 90 seconds, with two minutes walking between. And i pushed through!

good luck as you push on into your charity runs!
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Well done! It's an amazing feeling when you break through the point of a run feeling painful and all you want to do is go home and sleep and suddenly you are actually enjoying it.
    It only gets better!
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Grats Wonko! I started running using the C25K also. I couldn't run down the block when I started.
    C25K taught me that its all really just mental. (you'll find out in a few weeks).

The only advice I would give, is that speed is not important. When you start your longer runs, start slow, and then slow yourself down even more.

Once you're regularly running, your speed will naturally increase. There are some good running books "No need for Speed" etc...
  • RollTideTri
    RollTideTri Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    FatMoojor wrote: »
    Well done! It's an amazing feeling when you break through the point of a run feeling painful and all you want to do is go home and sleep and suddenly you are actually enjoying it.
    It only gets better!

So true. Once you get where you can run at a cruising speed without getting out of breath, running really becomes enjoyable. Problem is, until that point it sucks and it hurts. That's why these C25k programs are so good. They eaaaaase you into running so it's not so painful and miserable the first few times.