What happens if I eat at maintenance ?

Options
2»

Replies

• loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    From my personal experience recomp is more difficult from a higher BF%. I think your steep cut is contributing to losing more mass than you want to lose. Based on your other posts it seems you have a good lifting routine. I would consider a smaller deficit 250-500 and continued lifting. You'll lose weight slower but hopefully retain more mass.
  • viren19890
    viren19890 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    loulamb7 wrote: »
    From my personal experience recomp is more difficult from a higher BF%. I think your steep cut is contributing to losing more mass than you want to lose. Based on your other posts it seems you have a good lifting routine. I would consider a smaller deficit 250-500 and continued lifting. You'll lose weight slower but hopefully retain more mass.

I'm losing around 0.5-1.5 lbs per week. Isn't that slow already? I thought this was the healthy range.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    viren19890 wrote: »

I'm losing around 0.5-1.5 lbs per week. Isn't that slow already? I thought this was the healthy range.

You claimed that you are at a 1000 calorie deficit, that should be 1.5 to 2 lbs per week. If you're only losing .5 to 1.5 per week then your actual deficit is actually 250-750 per week. If you want to minimize muscle loss then keep the deficit small and lift. I didn't say you're losing at an unhealthy rate, but was trying to address your concern of losing mass.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Some people keep losing once they eat at maintenance but I sure as hell isn't one of those people.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Some people keep losing once they eat at maintenance but I sure as hell isn't one of those people.

If you keep losing weight, you're not truly at maintenance, by definition.
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Recomp is wonderful! That said: it's a VERY SLOW process and for those who are used to the mini-victories the scale brings, it can be a very disheartening. Stick to your calorie counts, weigh everything, hide the scale...and start measuring for progress. :)
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Recomp is wonderful! That said: it's a VERY SLOW process and for those who are used to the mini-victories the scale brings, it can be a very disheartening. Stick to your calorie counts, weigh everything, hide the scale...and start measuring for progress. :)

this!
  • viren19890
    viren19890 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    viren19890 wrote: »

You claimed that you are at a 1000 calorie deficit, that should be 1.5 to 2 lbs per week. If you're only losing .5 to 1.5 per week then your actual deficit is actually 250-750 per week. If you want to minimize muscle loss then keep the deficit small and lift. I didn't say you're losing at an unhealthy rate, but was trying to address your concern of losing mass.

Yeah something is off in my calculations or I'm overestimating the activity level. According to my deficit level I expected to have lost 24lbs in 12 weeks since I started the process but I lost around 19 lbs. I did lose size every week from here and there though.