30 days good and now starting to slip

Options
Hey everyone , iv been watching my calories now for the past 30 days .... iv done really good and lost 15 lbs so far .. but for the past 3 days I'm. Slipping into old habits . Easter was hard and iv let myself indulge in snacks each night ... I'm really trying to tell myself that to just move forward but I feel like I'm starting to lose motivation . Does anyone have any advice on staying motivated. .

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    You've lost a lot for a short amount of time. It's likely that your body is trying to tell you it needs more calories. Try increasing your calorie goal and planning your meals the night before.
  • incisron
    incisron Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    You've certainly lost alot of weight in 30 days, even assuming alot is water weight.
    Eat more.
  • Btheodore138
    Btheodore138 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Don't bring food into the house you know you can't control yourself around (for me it's Cheez-Its...*drool*). I used to do this thing where I'd eat something bad then tell myself "might as well eat whatever since I blew it". Don't do that. Shake it off and move forward.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    OP, it's not just motivation. Time to look at the other side of the equation, ie when temptation is low, motivation becomes plenty.

You need to disrupt the destructive behaviors. For example around the night time that you would have snack, do something else, be somewhere else, preferably more exciting. Movies, shopping, start a new habit.
  • Summerberry1012
    Summerberry1012 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    After eating so well you might be feeling low due to all the sugar, etc, that your body hasn't had in a while. Eat your normal routine again and you should hopefully start to feel better. Water too!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    If you are struggling, you haven't been doing good... Anyone can endure discomfort and even pain for a short while, when we are motivated by short term results. But that doesn't mean we can do it for long. Losing and maintaining weight is a slow/lifelong process, and you need a diet that you are able and willing to stick to. Find a balance between not enjoying what you eat and overindulgence. Make your normal diet something you look forward to, instead of look for motivation to follow. Incorporate foods you like. Make it fit. But if you have trigger foods that lead you to binge, remove them from your immediate surroundings.
  • TheLittleFangs
    TheLittleFangs Posts: 205 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Ignoring all of the eat more posts as you've not specified how much you're eating etc I'm hearing through your post that motivation has become difficult since there was a holiday and hit a bump due to snack foods being around?

I agree with the pp that says don't have them in the house if you don't want to eat them. i also totally agree with pp who says use distraction.

So if there's Easter left overs - take them to your nearest shelter or OAP home etc.

Plan things to do that mean you CAN'T use your hands - for me I paint my nails! Completely can't use your hands then.

15lbs is a great loss. I'm not sure how you achieved it but I lost 14lbs in 11 days recently taking in 1300 - 1500 cals a day and just gentle walking as I am disabled. My start weight was pretty high. It's not fair to assume big losses are due to starving yourself. I drink 2 - 3 litres a day and my weight is stable and holding.

I am absolutely sure I'll plateau at some point - most people seem to. I'm sure one day OP I may be calling on you to remind me what to do when the munchies set in. I know weight loss is not linear. I'm trying to think now of ways I can distract myself if things get rough.

Congratulations on your loss. I started my journey again after a cardiac related diagnosis. If you had health problems I'm sure your body will be thanking you so much for helping it out :)
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I've been fitting in the treats I want in my calories. I save cals for nighttime munching, but I agree that if it's a trigger food, that you can't stop eating once you start, just get it out of your house;)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Indulging in a snack each night is not necessarily a bad habit. If you ate most of a half-gallon of ice cream....then yeah, that's a problem. Half a large bag of chips....that's a problem.

But a controlled portion evening snack is not a bad habit. Someday you will be at goal weight. Then what? You will need to exercise portion control for your favorite foods someday.

Start learning control now. Allow yourself a controlled portion treat. I keep individually wrapped squares of dark chocolate and have one every single day. Lifestyle changes will help you keep the weight off.