Sciatic Pain

Options
I am really focused on getting my gluts & quads toned, but I am dealing with terrible sciatic pain at the end of every day. Any tips besides stretching? (I refuse to stop working that muscle group, especially because I am cursed with a very narrow waist and wide hips so I have to keep my
booty toned)

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,851 Member
    Options
    Besides stretching? That's the biggie for me - my osteopath emphasized piriformis stretches.

Hot epsom salt bath? Heating pad? OTC menthol/camphor/capsaicin patches (if the scent doesn't offend you)?
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this will help. My mum was told by a PT to sit with her hips higher than her knees. She just puts a rolled towel at the back of any seat so she is slightly angled.
    It took a couple of weeks but really alleviated the pain.

Cheers, h.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Do you know the root cause of the pain? Sciatic pain is a symptom of a problem.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Osteopathic treatment worked for me.

Stretching helps but get proper advice from an Osteopath or Physiotherapist on the correct stretches.
    Sitting with legs crossed can be a trigger if you are susceptible.
  • trishabledsoe15
    trishabledsoe15 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Osteopathic treatment worked for me.

Stretching helps but get proper advice from an Osteopath or Physiotherapist on the correct stretches.
    Sitting with legs crossed can be a trigger if you are susceptible.

Yes I am terrible at crossing my legs. I will keep an eye on that. I may need to see a chiro to get adjusted. Thanks for the tips, everyone!