Weights ?

Options
pbee89
pbee89 Posts: 83 Member
How long and how heavy do you have to lift to lose weight ? I use the weights machines at the gym but only for 2/3 reps each machine. It takes about 10m in total, is that enough to make a difference?

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Lifting will make you stronger, not thinner. A 10 minute workout, realistically, you might as well skip it completely where weight loss is concerned and probably strength too. And machines cannot be used for lifting. They can be used for strength training, but when you see "lifting" it involves actually lifting things. If you want to lose weight, change your eating habits. If you want to get healthier and in better shape, start regular exercise, with a combination of cardio and resistance training. If you want to lift in order get stronger, or build muscle, find a beginner's lifting program and follow it.
  • pbee89
    Options
    Thanks! Haha Yh sorry I meant the weight machines like tricep curls etc. Will they do anything At all? I do usually feel the burn after
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    pbee89 wrote: »
    Thanks! Haha Yh sorry I meant the weight machines like tricep curls etc. Will they do anything At all? I do usually feel the burn after

No. Doing 2-3 reps on random weight machines will change absolutely nothing.
    If you want a machine based workout, it is possible to find one. Either google it, or ask help at the gym, usually they can build a basic program for you. It might not be perfect, but it will be a start. Plan for an hour or so. And still, remember you are doing this for fitness and maintaining muscle, while losing weight. A workout like this will not be what really contributes to weight loss.
  • pbee89
    Options
    god youre a dream cruzshy @aggelikik
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    No. shoot for 25-30 mins. :)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    You don't have to lift any weights to lose weight obviously. (It's a good thing to do though.)

But your routine is far too short and is going to be almost completely ineffective. Get a proper routine set up for you and work harder, much harder and far longer, if you want to get any tangible results.
  • pbee89
    Options
    crusher*
  • drwilseyjr
    drwilseyjr Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Agree with everyone here. 10 minutes isn't even getting warmed up. Each exercise should consist of at least 5 sets with anywhere from 5-12 reps per set depending on goals.

Ten minutes of a couple half-hearted exercises is doing nothing but tricking your brain into feeling good that you're doing something.
  • julyrunner
    julyrunner Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    There are many different philosophies and ways to plan a workout, but it's common to include 2-3 sets of 8-12 reps of each exercise, with heavy enough weights that you are close to failure at the last rep (though you can go lighter for the first few weeks to avoid being crazy sore). There are so many resources available for choosing exercises and building routines - apps, fitness magazines, Google, etc. are all good places to start.
  • julyrunner
    julyrunner Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Free weights are more effective than machines at building functional strength because they require you to use other muscles to stabilize the lift. However, machines are helpful if you have injuries that limit your range of safe motion.
  • pbee89
    Options
    Thanks @julyrunner

I'm guessing those 5 min arm workout videos at home on YouTube dnt help either? :(
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options
    Pay for a few sessions with a trainer at your gym.