Planning advice needed

Options
LKArgh
LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
I used to be a runner, then had to quit because of arthritis. These last weeks I discovered that apparently the latest treatment (injections) worked and now I can run again. I am very very excited! I am still cautious and plan to start slowly and aim for something like 3-5K runs, to not take any risks.
Problem is, I currently have a routine I do not want to give up, so need to add running to it and I am probably overthinking it and do not know how to fit running in there.

Monday: swim. No time for anything else.
Tuesday: nothing or pilates class. Could fit a run.
Wednesday: swim. Could run after swimming.
Thursday: pilates. No time for anything else.
Friday: nothing. Could fit a run.
Saturday: swimming and pilates.
Sunday: lifting. Could only fit in a run if I replace lifting at the gym with some basic dumbbell workout at home.

I am trying to not overdo it, but I am not very good at resting when I am starting new exercise routines.
So, where would you add the runs in there?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I would swap a swim for a run in the first instance and then add in more running. I know you're keen but you don't want to do yourself any damage doing too much too soon
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I would swap a swim for a run in the first instance and then add in more running. I know you're keen but you don't want to do yourself any damage doing too much too soon

Yeah, I know. I am so excited I wish I could add 5 runs per week. Which is why I am looking for more sensible advice :) I keep thinking, oh let's start with 2, and then what would a 3d hurt or why not every other day, and then I have to keep repeating to myself I am acting like an overexcited 10 year old ...
    Cannot swap swims for runs, I go to the pool same hours as my son, so since I am already there, plus have a yearly subscription, it seems a waste of time to not actually swim.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Minimize running - maximize weights. ;)