Starving!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KenzieKidwell
KenzieKidwell Posts: 77 Member
edited September 21 in Introduce Yourself
My recommended daily allowance of calories is 1,220. I eat about 1,300 calories in a day but will still have an excess of 500 + calories I can eat due to my exercise. If I do not eat those calories will my body go into starvation mode? Oh yeah and my body burns anywhere from 300- 500 extra calories a day because I am breast feeding. So I am having a daily calorie deficit of around 800 a day. Any thoughts would be appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Replies

• I would think you would need to eat more daily just because of breast feeding! How long have you been counting calories? has the weight loss slowed down?
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Please remember that your deficit is already built into the 1220 by MFP based on your selected weight loss goal... so if you selected you want to lose 2 pounds/week, your daily deficit is 1,000 plus whatever other deficit you create by not eating all of your exercise/breast-feeding calories - you say this is 800, so your total deficit is 1800...
  • No your body won't go into starvation, but it will shrink the actual size of your stomach. smaller portions are better. im only allowed to eat 1200. Just stick to your daily calories and your body will adapt to it. :)
  • Jenks
    Jenks Posts: 349
    Because you're breast feeding, I would talk to your doctor.
  • i am not so sure if it is that good to start calorie counting while still breast feeding since you have to make sure you have enough nutrition for you and the baby. did you talk to the pediatrician or your doctor about it?
    if you do make sure you at least take in the extra calories for exercising so your body wont go into starvation mode.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Oh, and I meant to add... I would recommend eating exercise/breast-feeding calories. It makes sense that if you are going to work your body harder, it needs extra nutrition... remember you already have a deficit built in to the 1220.

I'd suggest you read these, it explains why you should eat the extra calories you earn: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10665-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition
  • KenzieKidwell
    I had only been counting calories for a little over a week and a half.
  • griffswoman
    griffswoman Posts: 30 Member
    you should be eating more than your recommended calories to supplement what the baby is taking from you via breast feeding. If you don't increase you increase the risk of malnutrition .Breastfeeding your baby, on average, burns 200-500 calories per day (above what you needed to maintain your pre-pregnancy weight) -- so keep in mind that even without a weight loss program you are burning extra calories.

Good luck
  • susiewusie
    susiewusie Posts: 432 Member
    I always thought you should have more cals when you were breast feeding .
  • sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    You clearly need to eat more. Even though you're trying to lose weight you should not be starving. The fact that you're feeling hungry is an indeication that you need more nourishment not to mention that you're breast feeding too. I speak from experience as I was only eating 1200 cals and burning 300-400 cals per day from exercise and I lost no weight. AcutallyI gained a lb each week as my body was in starvation mode. Please please please read the threads about this and if you've already read them then read them again :smile:
  • I had only been counting calories for a little over a week and a half.

Read that article I sent you. maybe we should suggest that MFP add a program for nursing mothers... Sededary, Active, Nursing- makes sense!
  • KenzieKidwell
    Oh sorry to keep adding notes but I also wanted to mention that I am still taking a prenatal vitamin to make sure the baby is getting what she needs! Along with eating healthy food for her!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • sindyb9
    sindyb9 Posts: 1,248 Member
    There was another post on this and you need to add 500 just for breast feeding plus your exercise calories. If you go too low you wont make enough milk for the baby.
  • I am sure Khloe is getting all she needs from you mom- just make sure mom (you) are getting what you need too. just like pregnancy they take from you what they need and leave you with nothing LOL

do you have a breast feeding coach from the hospital you delivered at you can call? they are so helpful!
  • slim4lyf
    slim4lyf Posts: 33 Member
    Fist I like to congratulate you on the new addition to your Family.
    Secondly , you need to eat more, even you take Vitamins.You should eat at least half of your "earned Calories" from Exercising if you are not pregnant. That gets you over 1200 but cuts out enough for your Body to shrink :-) aka loose weight. If I would eat as much as I add through exercise I would never loose due to my Motabolism. But than I am much older than you and I raised my 3 Girls .
    Do get your Info from your Doctor, that is the best source for you. , or even talk to a pharmacist, they are well trained people unless you can call the clinic where you had the baby.
    Good Luck to you and your Family. :flowerforyou:
  • jasminea
    jasminea Posts: 1 Member
    Congratulations on your new arrival! I lost over 70 pounds 4 years ago while breastfeeding. At the time my stating weight was 209 and I ate 1800 cals each day. This compensated for excercising 4 times week for 40 min as well as breastfeeding calories. I lost the weight in about 8 months. Unfortunately I took a hiatus from my healthy lifestyle and now have about 30 pounds to loose to get back to that initial weight loss and this time I want to actually try to get to a BMI of less than 25.

From one former breastfeeding mom to another, I would definately recommend getting more calories. When I cut down to 1300 my milk supply suffered. 1800 sounds like a lot but you are burning a ton without doing a thing when breastfeeding and your BMR is much higher now to maintian both you and your feeding baby. I lost more weight when I went up to 1800, so I believe my body thought I was in starvation mode at 1300. Whenever in doubt I would call the lactation consultant provided by my local hospital or you can call your OB for minimum calorie recommendation.

Blessings to you and your baby! Enjoy the journey!
This discussion has been closed.