I feel so depressed need help losing 50 pounds that I gained back

Options
Hello i need some encouragement. My weight loss has been on the constant rising to weight gain since my last semester of college. I lost a lot of weight before then and now I am 16 pounds to my starting weight 2 years ago. I thought that after college I can focus on me, however I am still undergoing stress. I have a hard time getting hired and I am currently working at a job that brings on a lot of stress and that I do not like. I am quitting as of today and only coming in as needed until a job opens up. I need to focus on my health. I use to be 247. When I stepped on the scale this morning I weighed 299 pounds! It's been awhile since I was that weight. I also pigged out a lot over the weekend due to it being Easter. I am going to have to lose it all back over again and it's making me sad that I just can't eat what I want and have fun without gaining too much weight.

I am confused because although I did gained weight, my body does not look nor feel like it has. I've gained a few inches and 1% of body fat. My smaller size clothes also still fit normal

I am 23 and 5'8. I'm so depressed please someone help me.

Replies

• MillyMooMummy1994
    MillyMooMummy1994 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I understand how you feel, after my first baby i lost 4 stone. Then i got pregnant again and gained it ALL back! Its been tough knowing i am starting again to lose the weight i had lost. I was mad at myself and putting myself down in my head. But decided to let it go and just start again and move on and let it be a lesson learned. Ive lost 16lbs so far. I started about 3 weeks ago, my baby is now 11 weeks old tomorrow.
    You can do it :) not sure on you saying you have only gained a few inches though, but if its only a few it shouldn't take too long to get back to where you was. Xx
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Welcome to reality. It's the bottom line... a lot of people can't eat everything that they want *at once* without gaining weight.

The good news is that you CAN eat what you want and lose weight, you just have to be careful about portion size. You just have to decide to eat one thing today, and the other thing tomorrow... Then it's your choice - decide if eating everything you want is more important to you than being a healthy weight.

For what it's worth.. you're young, your body will bounce back if you lose weight now. If you wait too long, you'll probably have loose skin... like I do. But in the end, you have to be ready to do a lifestyle change of moderation before you start.. or you're setting yourself up for yoyo'ing and it might mess up your metabolism in the process.
  • AR10at50
    AR10at50 Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    I just started following a post called "Lose 50!" , because that caught my eye and it sounds like a wonderful idea!
    Do not be discouraged about gaining weight. The main thing is that you realize how that weight crept on you, so that means it takes a while to lose. Each day is a new day and like Franc127 says, you can eat what you want, just in moderation.
    I went to lunch with a diabetic and she said she picks a sweet thing a week to have, and said if everyone else did that, we could be healthier....and she was right! We just need to keep on the calorie counting and make wise choices that help us to feel good when we eat them.
    Good luck, you can add me as a friend if you need to encouragement.....don't be depressed! You quitting that job will help to reduce the stress...way to go!
  • rmduck81
    rmduck81 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    It's hard when you gain the weight back, I was in denial for a long time. 5 years ago I was at my lightest 130 lbs, I kept it off for a couple years and I was happy with where I was then I went back to university and it slowly came back.
    In November I reached my heaviest ever, 192 lbs and for a 5'4.5" girl it didn't sit well. I was crushed, I didn't want to face the fact I let myself go that bad. So I decided 2016 will be the year I get healthy again. It's a long process, there will always be days we take 2 steps back, but that shouldn't stop anyone from finding happiness. I have faced my set backs so far but I am still going to push on and you can too.
    Good on you for leaving a job that makes you unhappy! Life is too short to be unhappy doll, now that part is over and done with, lets take one baby step at a time to find happiness and healthy!! You got this! :smiley:
  • dmack073082
    dmack073082 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need an eating plan and need to start working out 30 mins daily.
  • BlazingPhoenix_CityOfTheSun
    Options
    Stress can make you gain even if you are doing everything right. You might want to look for a less stressful job. Good luck.
  • Danimri84
    Danimri84 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Right there with you. I lost 70 pounds two years ago. As of January 1 I had gained all but 14 lbs of it back. It was absolutely depressing. It took me a long time to get motivated to even try losing again. The ugly thoughts of disappointment, why bother, you'll gain it back anyway...it was maddening. But now I'm back at it. I KNOW I can do it. I did it before. It didn't even take that long. Just focus on one day at a time, and be kind to yourself :smile:
  • chasinghappiness
    chasinghappiness Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling with the same thing too. I lost 18lbs five years ago after reaching my heaviest weight and I've gained most of it back these past two years, particularly since the start of this year because I've been so stressed and tired all the time, and when I'm tired, my diet becomes complete rubbish. It's just incredibly frustrating and I feel miserable. Where did all my motivation and self-discipline to lose that weight go?!
  • dwaterfield
    dwaterfield Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    A lot of us have been there. I will be 50 in May and I have struggled with weight since I was a teenager. I went through a program called Target Metabolism (basically CICO with actual measurements for RMR and lean body mass) which got me down to 229. I completed the program and while I sort of kept calories under control I slowly put weight back on...then I tore an ACL and during recovery ballooned back up. I dieted for a while and got back to 244 but lost motivation. Last September I weighed 292 pounds.

Sounds bad, I know. But then I found out I needed to lose weight in order to go on a high adventure trek with my sons this summer. I've been tracking calories ever since and I weighed in today at 239 - 19 lbs to go.

I've been doing well but like you I'm worried about what will happen when I reach my goal. I've made up my mind that I'll be using MFP or something similar for the rest of my life. For whatever reason (genetics, attitude, the fact that food tastes good) I just am not someone who can eat whatever I like. I am going to have to continue to monitor weight and calories indefinitely....or until they finally do invent a magic weight control pill! :)

Don't let the past stop you. You have lost weight before. You know what you need to do so get going - and when you reach your goal make sure you have a plan for maintaining your weight for the long term.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Hello i need some encouragement. My weight loss has been on the constant rising to weight gain since my last semester of college. I lost a lot of weight before then and now I am 16 pounds to my starting weight 2 years ago. I thought that after college I can focus on me, however I am still undergoing stress. I have a hard time getting hired and I am currently working at a job that brings on a lot of stress and that I do not like. I am quitting as of today and only coming in as needed until a job opens up. I need to focus on my health. I use to be 247. When I stepped on the scale this morning I weighed 299 pounds! It's been awhile since I was that weight. I also pigged out a lot over the weekend due to it being Easter. I am going to have to lose it all back over again and it's making me sad that I just can't eat what I want and have fun without gaining too much weight.

I am confused because although I did gained weight, my body does not look nor feel like it has. I've gained a few inches and 1% of body fat. My smaller size clothes also still fit normal

I am 23 and 5'8. I'm so depressed please someone help me.

You can eat what you want and enjoy food! It's the "amount" of food you are likely consuming that is making you gain. I eat anything I want in moderation and only after measuring and weighing my foods. I used to be the type to sit and eat food and didn't even notice how much I was consuming until bam! One day I was at the highest weight I'd ever been (without being pregnant) and feeling miserable and sluggish. I've lost 20 lbs so far and enjoy what I eat. I have added way more veggies and fruits but that's the only difference. I also cut way back on red meats because they tend to be more calories of course. But I really don't miss it.

You can do this!
  • jzancola
    jzancola Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You are young! You still have a chance. I have been yo yo ing for 35 years.
    In my teens I was up to 250 lbs 5'8" tall.
    I got fed up and made up my mind and got down to 165.
    I got married to a wonderful loving woman. My life style slowed down and I put on weight with each one of my wife's 3 pregnancies. She always got back to her skinny self but not me.
    I have got as high as 295 lbs about 2008 which woke me up and I dropped to 225lbs and since have climbed back to 256 lbs.
    Don't kid yourself about eating what you want it's the lies that strengthens the bad habits.
    I have started again this week but this time different. Always I would do this alone and the negative thoughts would win . NO MORE!
    To start work on getting rid of the bad snacking habits.'just eat 3 reasonable meals per day with a couple of health snacks.
    Buy a food scale and use measuring cup so that you understand how many calories you really are eating. I bought one this week an all I can say is wow!
    Never give up.
    And above all ....... BE MU FP pal and we will get each other through this.

• kandeye
    kandeye Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    You have to get your mind right before you get your body right. It won't work unless you are mentally ready. I was on mfp for a whole year, lost a little, gained it back, lost again. I was in a bad place mentally. Now I have been at it for a month, 8lbs down as of this morning, but I'm a completely different person now so I know it will work. Add me as a friend and we can do this together :p