Just quit smoking

Options
I recently stopped smoking cigarettes on Feb. 15th. I'm beginning to see a weight gain, which I expected, but it is still disturbing. I'm about 20 lbs. overweight, 55 years old, and not really sure where to start, again. I've been a member of MFP but am not consistent and need a bit of help. Why can't I stay with an exercise program? How do I stay motivated to stick to the program? How long before I lose this extra weight?

Replies

• MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Hi! Congratulations on quitting smokes! That takes a lot of willpower and motivation! I'm afraid I can't give much advice on sticking to the program since my track record isn't great. I've been off and on the bandwagon since 2013. lol Maybe join a challenge group? It's about to start a new month, so there should be lots starting. I usually like to join a walking one- set a goal for yourself to walk x amount of miles in April, then check in every day to show your progress. There are several kinds of challenges, so look into a few that you're interested in trying. :smile:
  • Wiz_Joe
    Wiz_Joe Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I think most of us get through the same on and off way of life. However, some others may get on with the workout discipline regardless of others motivating them or not. I personally think, as you conditioned yourself to quit smoking, each habit takes at least 66days to become a consistent one. My simple advice is to look upon each day as a challenge to yourself for betterment. You have only yourself to save you, apparently it's the best gift for yourself.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on quitting!
    Start at the beginning. In order to lose weight, you need to start looking at what you eat. Start logging your food just to see what and how much. Then use a calories calculator to find out what kind of deficit you should be eating at so you can lose weight. Then you can add in some exercise.
    The important thing is to find something to replace the habit of smoking. I used to walk or clean, chew gum or drink water. The walking was especially good for the times I used to take a "smoke break" and it's exercise, so it helps with weight loss.