In a Maintenance Funk (and fighting weight creep)

Options
ReaderGirl3
ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
edited March 2016 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
My 3 year maintenance anniversary is in a couple weeks, and instead of celebrating this milestone, I'm feeling very down about the whole weight/maintenance thing. I've lost over 50lbs and had been successfully maintaining within my maintenance range, but this past winter I totally lost focus and my weight-in this morning put me at the highest number I've seen sine 2013. It's still not a huge gain (my bmi is currently 21.5), but the weight creep is happening and if I don't get my head out of my bum now, I know where I'm going to end up (flirting again with T2). Sooo, having a bit of a pity party for myself right now :/

On a positive note, I've set my MFP account back up and this morning I'm starting a short weight loss phase again, to lose the creep. But, this experience has really hit me hard and I'm beginning to realize how difficult long term maintenance really is!

Any others out there who are/have struggled with long term maintenance? Any words of wisdom for how to keep focused?

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I'm still 4 pounds over my lowest weight 2 years ago. I can't seem to be able to shake it. I have to admit that I'm jealous of people who have no problem cutting again.. it's a big struggle for me! I do great for a week or two then mess up the 3rd week and I end up maintaining instead of losing... not a huge deal but it means I'm not losing the weight that slowly creeps up.. or it takes months.

So... I hear you.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    Do you workout or participate in any activities? If so, set fitness or activity related goals, instead of solely weight related goals. Maintenance can seem boring. No more scale changes and body changes can be very small. However, if you focus on fitness and what your body can do it seems to automatically help you eat better so as to reach those goals.
  • ReaderGirl3
    edited March 2016
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Do you workout or participate in any activities? If so, set fitness or activity related goals, instead of solely weight related goals. Maintenance can seem boring. No more scale changes and body changes can be very small. However, if you focus on fitness and what your body can do it seems to automatically help you eat better so as to reach those goals.

I lost the weight without any exercise and since transitioning into maintenance I've gone through phases with it (mostly walking during summer months, along with some body-weight strength training on and off/currently off). Great point-exercising could be a great area to focus on!

I've logged my food for today (first time I've logged in a loooong time), and I'm already feeling better about my situation. I'm still a very healthy weight/bmi and my last blood work was really great (last October). I just need to tweak some things, get serious about logging again and then maybe adding some exercise to shake things up and give me new goals to work towards :)
  • ReaderGirl3
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I'm still 4 pounds over my lowest weight 2 years ago. I can't seem to be able to shake it. I have to admit that I'm jealous of people who have no problem cutting again.. it's a big struggle for me! I do great for a week or two then mess up the 3rd week and I end up maintaining instead of losing... not a huge deal but it means I'm not losing the weight that slowly creeps up.. or it takes months.

So... I hear you.

It's rough trying to figure out this whole thing long term! My initial weight loss phase was pretty easy (I did calorie restricting/IF), but that was for a few months worth of time. Maintenance could be 40+ years for me oiy!
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I've only be at it for a year or so but I've found that I have to keep logging and weighing/measuring all my food. I hit a healthy BMI last February (2015) and dropped a few more pounds transitioning to maintenance a few months ago. Since I'm old and small MFP gave me a only bit more maintenance calories so it wasn't much of a transition. Aside from continuing to log and weigh/measure your food can you add an activity tracker? Having a Fitbit has really helped me stay active and focused. As mentioned before try working on a fitness goal. I'm keeping a consistent gym schedule of moderate activity, weights and cardio 3Xs per week. So far I'm staying within my goal range and I've lost between 50-53 lbs (fluctuations).
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    I've decided to log 100 calories under my maintenance and have a 'party' every week or two.
    It's the only way to fight the creep.
    Party's gonna party.
  • tahxirez
    tahxirez Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I've decided to log 100 calories under my maintenance and have a 'party' every week or two.
    Party's gonna party.

Genius!
  • ReaderGirl3
    Options
    Party's gonna party.

My weekends are all over the place, so I wonder if I could do a little under calories during the week, to give a cushion for the weekend?
  • Francl27
    Options
    Party's gonna party.

My weekends are all over the place, so I wonder if I could do a little under calories during the week, to give a cushion for the weekend?

It's pretty much how it ends up for me. 4-5 days with a 300/400 deficit, 1/2 days at maintenance, 1 day 600 to 800 over, lol.
  • ReaderGirl3
    Options
    Party's gonna party.

It's pretty much how it ends up for me. 4-5 days with a 300/400 deficit, 1/2 days at maintenance, 1 day 600 to 800 over, lol.

Thanks, I think this is something I definitely need to experiment with, after I get rid of the weight creep :)
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Party's gonna party.

I've been doing this too. I like to indulge on the weekends. I'm happier eating at a deficit all week long and then eating more on Saturday or Sunday. Or both. :)
  • DoneWorking
    DoneWorking Posts: 247 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    When I hit maintenance, I did okay for a year or so, then the creep set in and the next thing I knew I was back up about 33 pounds. I tried to blame it on living my summers at the beach and too many rotating parties, but I only have myself to blame though because it was preventable if I'd just kept kept logging and adjusting. So here I am back at it. Maybe I'll try that banking idea when I get back to maintenance. Good luck and cheers to all!
  • veggiecanner
    veggiecanner Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to understand why my basically thin grandmother had a scale in her bathroom.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Party's gonna party.

Me too, on Fridays and Saturdays I tend to eat quite a bit over, so the other days I am usually eating around 300 calories under maintenance to even it out. I have been maintaining for two years and for me it takes constant vigilance. Worth it for sure, but hard work.
  • ReaderGirl3
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the input! This morning I'm much calmer about the whole thing (seeing that higher number on the scale yesterday, after not weighing for a few months, put me in panic mode!), and I had a solid, on track day yesterday :) I even had a drop on the scale this morning (gotta love water weight lol).

I also started the 100 push-up challenge yesterday (I did it last year and had a lot of fun with it-crazy how last year I completed the whole thing, and yesterday it about killed me to do the first day/beginner mode :p ), and then my family went on a brisk 2 mile walk last night :)

Feel like I'm back in control!
  • Francl27
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the input! This morning I'm much calmer about the whole thing (seeing that higher number on the scale yesterday, after not weighing for a few months, put me in panic mode!), and I had a solid, on track day yesterday :) I even had a drop on the scale this morning (gotta love water weight lol).

I also started the 100 push-up challenge yesterday (I did it last year and had a lot of fun with it-crazy how last year I completed the whole thing, and yesterday it about killed me to do the first day/beginner mode :p ), and then my family went on a brisk 2 mile walk last night :)

Feel like I'm back in control!

Good job.

The key is to try not to lose control. Keep logging... keep exercising... keep trying to make good choices...

It's definitely hard though.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I'm another that eats at a deficit for some of the week so I can save cals for the weekend. Also, When I was losing I always knew I had a buffer built into my calorie goal, so if I went over, even for the week, I knew it wouldn't make much difference. Not having that kind of stressed me out when I moved to maintenance so I actually set my calorie goal on here about 100 cals below what MFP thinks my maintenance level is. Not surprisingly, I've still been losing a bit and am actually below the bottom of my maintenance range for about 6 weeks now so I'm trying to figure out if I should up cals or keep where they are.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Yes. I've done way too much yoyo'ing in the past. I've learned as I've gone along (and keep learning as sometimes things that worked in the past stop working for me). So far I've only been maintaining for a few weeks but am hopeful about keeping this up long term.

Good luck. You can do this!! Nip it in the bud before it keeps creeping up. That's happened to me before. It sounds cheesy but I would do your best to focus on the positives and how well you've been doing over the past 3 years.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Also for me, setting fitness goals (e.g. training for a race, getting through a strength program, etc.) can help when I'm in a funk.