How long? 30+ Lbs

Options
How long did it take you to lose 30-40 lbs. what did you do? What exercises mainly and what food did you mainly eat? How many meals a day!

Replies

• leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    ~20 weeks (about 4.5 months). I ate vegetarian and ate between 1 and 5 meals a day. It doesn't matter how many meals you have per day as long as you're in a calorie deficit. I lifted weights and did dance for cardio.

The only important detail was that I used a food scale and counted calories.
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    How fast you lose that amount of weight is going to depend at least partially on how much you have to lose to begin with. It's probably going to take me a lot longer to lose 10 lbs (my CW is 147 lbs) than it would take for someone who is 350 lbs.

Ultimately you can eat whatever you want whenever you want as long as it fits in your calorie goals. Use a food scale to make sure your logging is as accurate as possible. Also you don't have to exercise to lose weight, you just have to consume less calories than you burn. Exercise burns calories and may increase your deficit if you don't eat back your earned exercise calories, but it is not necessary to lose weight.
  • BeaUtiful_1413
    BeaUtiful_1413 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I have 36-40 lbs to lose!
  • chiptease
    chiptease Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    It took me about a year to lose 30 pounds - slow but I learned a lot about weight loss and healthy lifestyle choices through the process. I took a very gradual approach, definitely counted calories the whole way. For example, I ate at a -500 calorie deficit through the work week and then splurged on the weekends (big reason why my weight loss was slow). Now that I'm closer to my goal weight, I'm a lot more cautious about CICO and limit "cheat days" to "cheat snack/meal." But like everyone else, CICO is so important. Play around with numbers and find a comfortable goal for you (ex: 1lb a week = -500 calorie deficit per day). Feel free to add me if you want :)
  • elkhunter7x6
    elkhunter7x6 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I started out to lose 52lbs. It took me 21 weeks to lose 30 lbs and 33 weeks to lose forty lbs.
  • tiffkittyw
    tiffkittyw Posts: 366 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    How long did it take you to lose 30-40 lbs. what did you do? What exercises mainly and what food did you mainly eat? How many meals a day!

I'm currently at 36 lbs lost. I started on August 30,2015 so just about 7 months. There are many factors that will effect your rate of loss (weight, height, age and any medical conditions). I'm 38, 5'4", hypothyroid and started at 164 lbs. I eat 3 meals and 2 snacks Monday -Friday and I eat dinner our Saturday so my meals prior are more like snacks. Sunday I'm flexible with my eating. I also intermittent fast where I don't eat until 11am-12pm and stop eating after 6-7pm. Just eat less than your TDEE or eat what MFP gives you and you will lose weight. If you want to eat more sometimes and less others use the nutrition tab to see your calories remaining for the week. I have a Fitbit so I set myself to maintaince and strive to have 3,500 calories remaining for the week which is 1 lb.

I eat foods I love and I work out every day 30 mins to 1 hour and make sure I get a minimum of 10,000 steps.

Edit: A food scale is very important to know your intake. My granola bar is supposed to weigh 40 grams but almost always weighs 42-45 grams.