Excellent Food tricks for cooking

Options
Grimmerick
Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
Let's share some amazing or very helpful recipe tricks! Mine is........

Before you boil your eggs take the butt end of a butter knife or something similar and knock a small divot or indention into the bottom of the egg, then boil as usual. I guarantee you will never have a problem peeling your eggs again. This has been one of the best tips for me because I eat boiled eggs everyday and nothing is more frustrating than peeling an egg down to the D@mn yolk.

Replies

• mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Just cool them in ice water immediately...
  • Grimmerick
    Options
    Thank You, I'll stick with the egg divots though, I have always cooled my eggs in ice water, but still got ones that wouldn't peel, this tip seems to give me consistently easy to peel eggs, but thank you.
  • vitty1
    vitty1 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Egg Substitute = 1 tbsp of flax seeds mixed with 4 tbsp boiled water.

- mix and let it sit at room temp and BOOM, fake eggs - same texture and all, great for recipes if you're looking for an egg substitute, like I was when I was vegan (never again).

Cheers
  • Grimmerick
    Options
    vitty1 wrote: »
    Egg Substitute = 1 tbsp of flax seeds mixed with 4 tbsp boiled water.

- mix and let it sit at room temp and BOOM, fake eggs - same texture and all, great for recipes if you're looking for an egg substitute, like I was when I was vegan (never again).

Cheers

OooOoo good one! I will be trying this when I need some more fiber or flax related nutrients. Thanks
  • Grimmerick
    Options
    These tips can be for any foods not just eggs
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    how do you make a divot in the egg without cracking the shell?
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Rage_Phish wrote: »
    how do you make a divot in the egg without cracking the shell?

I was wondering this too. :smiley:
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Gently place raw eggs in already boiling water, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Guaranteed easy to peel eggs. I used to cover the eggs with water, then bring it to a boil, cover and remove from heat for 15 minutes - I saw that on Food Network and the eggs were the hardest to peel, just the worst ever. Then I read how to cook easy to peel eggs on Serious Eats - works every single time.

Shocking them in ice water prevents the greenish color around the yolk.
  • Grimmerick
    Options
    the egg is pretty resilient with a light tap it creates a small divot and usually nothing comes out while boiling occasionally a small bit will but it's usually not much. Give it a try
  • Grimmerick
    Options
    anybody got any non egg food tips?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    If you like fried eggplants, these guys are like oil sponges. If you brush them with a thin layer of egg whites, they will absorb less oil because egg whites can repel some of the oil (make sure no yolks make their way in there).
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    To easily peel garlic, put garlic cloves in a plastic container with a lid. Cover. Shake vigorously. Open container and all your garlic will be peeled!
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Use an empty wine bottle to soak wood skewers. Put skewers in the bottle fill with water and put cork in the bottle. Works great!

Use a microplane to grate garlic and ginger. It is super fast and the end result is finer in texture than mincing.

Keep fresh unpeeled ginger in the freezer in a freezer bag. When you need some just grate what you need using the microplane and put it back in the freezer.

When you need just a small amount of herbs use kitchen shears and just sip off what you need.

Use kitchen shears to slice raw bacon work so much easier than a knife.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,019 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Buy several heads of garlic at once. Wrap in foil (either one or several together. I do four heads in one piece of foil.) Cook at 350*F for thirty minutes. Cool. Peel the cloves and place in a wide necked jar. Pour in enough olive oil to cover. Refrigerate.

Roasted garlic ready to go. Bonus, leftover garlic flavored olive oil. Keeps for months in refrigerator. Garlic won't sprout when cooked.